Scrumptious heavy cream - what to do with it?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Ricardo, the man who brings me wonderful vegetables. came by this afternoon with some delightful green beans, alas too late for the salade nicoise I wanted to make last week for the French food competition. He often sells me wonderful homemade cheeses as well, but today, he had some beautiful heavy cream. Very heavy. Sort of like I used to buy in England labeled "double cream". Aside from eating it with a spoon, or tossing it on some fresh mangoes, which I also got a bunch of today, does anyone have any brilliant ideas regarding what I might do with it? I have close to a quart of this stuff. Nothing too complicated, please - it is too hot. Thanks!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 163

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That sounds wonderful. The first thing that comes to my mind is using it in soups or sauces. Adding a little to any bit of reduce wine would make a great sauce.

The potatoes gratin I did in the French challenge used heavy cream. The wine sauce I did on some chicken used cream. A potato soup I do uses cream, as does a Shrimp Bisque I did.

Since it's so heavy, you probably wouldn't need a lot. Perhaps a couple of tablespoons where 1/2 to 3/4 cup of regular cream is called for. But I imagine adding a little to any wine sauce or soup would be divine. I'd love to have some of that to experiment with!! :clap:

I'm sure there are also some yummy desserts to be made with it, but I'm no baker, so can't help much in that category. :biggrin:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189908#post189908

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=190557#post190557

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=138006#post138006

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Get a few different kinds of fruit, cut them up into chunks and mix them together with some whipped cream.

How is your seafood supply? How about a clam / conch / whatever shellfish youhave chowder. New England style.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You could simply whip it....dip your toes into it, and invite a friend over for dessert.:whistle:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My favorite thing in the world to make with double cream, when I can get it, is tomato-basil soup. It's good with the regular heavy cream I usually find, but the double cream makes it divine.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's really, really good. The only troublesome part is when I use fresh tomatoes - I have to peel them. But other than that, it's easy and I use the stick blender in the pot I am cooking it in so it's very little clean up. (If you use canned tomatoes - there is no peeling involved.)

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh boy, thanks for all the great ideas. I'm definitely making that tomato basil soup and the wonderful chicken dish that Keltin made on his stove top gadget. And I may have to follow Vera's suggestion about dipping my toes...don't think I'll have to invite anyone over...

GotGarlic

It's really, really good. The only troublesome part is when I use fresh tomatoes - I have to peel them. But other than that, it's easy and I use the stick blender in the pot I am cooking it in so it's very little clean up. (If you use canned tomatoes - there is no peeling involved.)

Tip: An easy way to peel fresh tomatoes is to cut them in half, then grate cut side down over a bowl on the big holes of a box grater. Takes the peel right off :smile:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I don't have room in my freezer for the ice cream freezer container!!!:sad:

Maybe I should just throw some stuff out!! I need a freezer. I need a freezer. I need a freezer. (my new mantra)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
:ohmy: Throw something out...isn't ice cream one of the major food groups? :lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Tip: An easy way to peel fresh tomatoes is to cut them in half, then grate cut side down over a bowl on the big holes of a box grater. Takes the peel right off :smile:
That is brilliant!!! It will save me sooo much time. Thanks, GG - you're a peach!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I'd make ice cream!

DITTO!!!:applause:

Storage isn't a problem here, doesn't last long with three kids around, well make that four counting the wife...

two cups cream and two cups milk, a quarter cup sugar and two tablespoons real vanilla. Mix till mostly solid then store in fridge for several hours to harden up.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Here's my problem - my ice cream maker requires that I freeze the container first, and there is no room in my freezer to put it...I don't have a separate freezer, just what is on top of my frig. :sad::sad::sad:

Within the next few months, I AM going to buy a freezer...they are really expensive here, and so is electricity, so it is a big step, but I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Here's my problem - my ice cream maker requires that I freeze the container first, and there is no room in my freezer to put it...I don't have a separate freezer, just what is on top of my frig. :sad::sad::sad:

Within the next few months, I AM going to buy a freezer...they are really expensive here, and so is electricity, so it is a big step, but I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Sounds like we have the same ice cream maker? Mine you have to let freeze for at least 8 hours so the gel inside freezes up and the metal around the inside gets frosty. Then you put the mixer and motor on top and mix for about 45min to an hour. Directions say 30min but it always takes me longer. Then I take the mixer and motor off, put the lid on it, and pop it back into the freezer for another 2 to 4 hours.

Which reminds me... got a batch in there now ready to eat!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Mavewrick2272 said:
Which reminds me... got a batch in there now ready to eat!!

Oh Mav, I am SO jealous! I have two big fat chickens in the freezer that I have been meaning to cook on the rotisserie the next time we have company for dinner. Maybe I should take them out tomorrow, let them start to thaw in the frig, and then invite company over for Friday dinner and also serve them homemade fresh mango ice cream! How's that for a plan?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mav, I am SO jealous! I have two big fat chickens in the freezer that I have been meaning to cook on the rotisserie the next time we have company for dinner. Maybe I should take them out tomorrow, let them start to thaw in the frig, and then invite company over for Friday dinner and also serve them homemade fresh mango ice cream! How's that for a plan?

Don't be surprised if I make a sudden right turn and head south! I love mango ice cream!!!!

Now I am the jealous one!:lol:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thought I should report back on what I finally did with the heavy cream...first, we had some on diced fresh mangoes, with a dusting of brown sugar over the top. Twice. No pics - just gobbled it up. Then, I followed Keltin's example and made some chicken in wine and cream sauce. I used the Tomato Bouillon as well, and the chicken was delicious. Finally, I followed Mama and Mavs' advice and made room in the freezer for the ice cream maker - made some mango ice cream. Lovely stuff. Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• CHICKEN KELTIN.jpg
    CHICKEN KELTIN.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 103
  • MANGO ICE CREAM.jpg
    MANGO ICE CREAM.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 113

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh Karen! I'm going to load the car right now. I'm headed your way for some of that!

Do you mind if I bring the dogs?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SilverSage said:
Oh Karen! I'm going to load the car right now. I'm headed your way for some of that!

Do you mind if I bring the dogs?

Bring the dogs on down! I'm sure they'd get along fine with Diego and Maggie! Only thing is...we ate everything. All of it. Gone. Sorry.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! That looks incredible. Your chicken looks even better than mine! I'm so making that again! Awesome job! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Keltin...the chicken was delicious. I may have added too much cream though. I think I would use less next time. I browned the chicken, then removed it from the pan. Sauteed some garlic, mushrooms and shallots in some additional butter, then deglazed with the white wine. Added the broth, carrots and potatoes and cooked for about 45 minutes (used legs and thighs). Added the cream at the last minute. I seasoned with something called "sal magica" that I buy here - has salt, pepper and an assortment of spices. This will definitely become a staple for me. Those nice little individual casseroles are great - bought them at Costco in Vallarta. I'd definitely buy more if they ever have them again.