"I hate the expression ....."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think I've ever used that expression myself, Karen, since it sounds so, I dunno, "Valley Girl" or something.

But I DO say that I'm "dying to try" something a lot. In fact, I almost wrote it about tapas in another thread, but after reading your post, caught myself.

Do you feel similarly about that expression?

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i know one thing. there's only so many times you can use the joke that "people are dying to get in there" when passing a cemetary before you get smacked in the back of your head.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
QSis said:
But I DO say that I'm "dying to try" something a lot. In fact, I almost wrote it about tapas in another thread, but after reading your post, caught myself.

Do you feel similarly about that expression?

No, I don't think so. It's like Bucky said, there are things (few) worth dying for, and food is not one of them. You just never know, when you are in a group of people, how a phrase like that might affect someone who has suffered a loss. So I think it is best to avoid it. It's like the old Cascade commercial that said "There's nothing worse than spots on your glasses." I was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer at the time, and I thought, "Oh, there are LOTS of things worse than spotted glasses!"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i know one thing. there's only so many times you can use the joke that "people are dying to get in there" when passing a cemetary before you get smacked in the back of your head.

We need a "rolling my eyes" smiley.

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I didn't read the entire thread so maybe someone already said this one, "No offense, but..."

As if that makes what they are about to say any less offensive than it is going to be...

buckytom

Grill Master
lately, the one word question "really?" has been bugging me. all of the little bastards, umm, i mean kids that are sudden best friends of my son when the pool's open use that word so often it's getting annoying.

i guess i should look on the bright side. they're using an adverb properly.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL! Fisher is stuck on the word "Why?". I am no longer impressed by his inquisitive nature - I'm tired of it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
riiiiight.
That seems to be the only reply a lot of young girls use these days, and it ALL sounds the same coming out of their mouths!
Where IS this coming from? something on television??
I can instruct one of my young nurse aides to do something, or share a detail, or anything that would normally make a person respond with-- "Ok" or "Yes"--- but I get the "riiiiIIIIIIght".
Please shoot me now. LOL

buckytom

Grill Master
i distictly remember my father getting angry at me for using temporal colloquialisms when i was a kid, and now i'm becoming my father. :huh:

instead of getting angry back, it made me think about different ways of saying the same thing, which ended up giving me the ability to talk my way out of a lot of tight spots as i grew up. :wink:

i wish there was an easy way to get kids to do the same thing today.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My daughter used to say "Whatever". It was always accompanied by the eye roll. Man, I hated that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It has occurred to me that I HATE the expression “With all due respect”.

I have NEVER seen or heard anything respectful follow that prelude.

Why not just suck it up and say “I‘m about to say something that will utterly piss you off”.

Either that or LET-IT-GO!

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This is what I have been hearing lately, at work.. when the aides use me as their vent for the day..

"you know, don't get me wrong, I really like __ but when she does ___ I want to slap the shit out of her"

My reply is: well if you really like her, stop bitching, work with her and be professional.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is what I have been hearing lately, at work.. when the aides use me as their vent for the day..

"you know, don't get me wrong, I really like __ but when she does ___ I want to slap the shit out of her"

My reply is: well if you really like her, stop bitching, work with her and be professional.

I actually said once, "So you're bitching about them right, or did I get that wrong?"

Get me wrong???? Uh, no, you're bitching, I got that clear as day! :lol:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
How about after someone tells you something not so nice about someone else and asks you to keep it to yourself, ".... and if anyone asks me I'll lie!!" So how do I know this isn't a lie also?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I REALLY HATE THIS ONE - "Boys will be boys!" as an excuse for rude little shits whose parents think its OK for their sons to act like animals because they are boys!! More like they are to lazy to teach them manners and how to behave like human beings!!

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I REALLY HATE THIS ONE - "Boys will be boys!" as an excuse for rude little shits whose parents think its OK for their sons to act like animals because they are boys!! More like they are to lazy to teach them manners and how to behave like human beings!!

I agree to a point Peeps. However, when Jeff and Ty would come home covered in dirt or do something that would shock my Mother.. often I used that phrase. Mom only raised 1 boy, I raised 2 (3 if you count my ex) LOL!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I agree to a point Peeps. However, when Jeff and Ty would come home covered in dirt or do something that would shock my Mother.. often I used that phrase. Mom only raised 1 boy, I raised 2 (3 if you count my ex) LOL!
Thats not the kind of thing I mean. What I mean is rude, impolite and unacceptable behavior like hitting others, screaming at others, stealing, lying, bullying and things like that. Getting dirty is not a "boy" thing its a KID thing and not rude etc (well not in my eyes) LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thats not the kind of thing I mean. What I mean is rude, impolite and unacceptable behavior like hitting others, screaming at others, stealing, lying, bullying and things like that. Getting dirty is not a "boy" thing its a KID thing and not rude etc (well not in my eyes) LOL
Getting dirty is a boy thing, especially when one decides to jump in a mud puddle 2 minutes before setting off for church. ;)

Yeah, I knew what you meant.. there are brats everywhere.
Thank God my boys don't take after the ex (their Dad).
They are actually more of my late husband's nature. Imagine that?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Getting dirty is a boy thing, especially when one decides to jump in a mud puddle 2 minutes before setting off for church. ;)

Yeah, I knew what you meant.. there are brats everywhere.
Thank God my boys don't take after the ex (their Dad).
They are actually more of my late husband's nature. Imagine that?
Hmmmmmmmmmmm my younger girl LOOKED for puddles of every kind to jump/walk through!! STILL does!! LOL

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmmmmmmmmm my younger girl LOOKED for puddles of every kind to jump/walk through!! STILL does!! LOL

Tyler.. at 27 still likes to get dirty, because he's a mechanic.:tongue:
Jeff.. never.. he's 32 now and is a spiffy cop, not a hair outta place.:D
They both used to drive me nuts because Mama was and is a neat freak.
It's a good thing God blessed me with sons.. I think a daughter would have drove me crazy.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tyler.. at 27 still likes to get dirty, because he's a mechanic.:tongue:
Jeff.. never.. he's 32 now and is a spiffy cop, not a hair outta place.:D
They both used to drive me nuts because Mama was and is a neat freak.
It's a good thing God blessed me with sons.. I think a daughter would have drove me crazy.
My 2 girls are opposites in so many ways and the same in just as many!! LOL

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got another one that I hate: the nickname "Jules" for someone named Julie.

I think every third TV show has a "Jules" in it.

Lee