Omaha Steaks?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Damn, K, I'm impressed that you got all that Omaha stuff for only $66! I think that's a STEAL!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think the meat looks pretty good, too. Yeah, you could hit the stores and buy the same amount for less, maybe. But then again - you didn't have to hit the stores. I can see sending one of these as a gift to someone, too. I know I'd be thrilled to receive a wiener that big.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I can only imagine that Buzz wept and nearly passed out when he saw those "knives"! :lol:

Until now I've been incapable of typing. When you said "Fisher Price" I started laughing so hard my fingers quit working. I'm just starting to get a bit of feel in them.

Love2"Q"

the hot dogs are the best thing there ..
i do not want to sound like a jerk ..
my sister used to send me that exact same order for my birthday and
christmas every year .. i had to beg her to stop ..
my wife would not eat the hot dogs though .. they were not all beef ..
a strict requirement of hers .. i do not know if they changed that ..
and i hope you enjoy it more than i did ..

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ya know, when my boys took shop in HS, they made knives.
That's the first thing I thought of when seeing those.
The steel looks hastily made and cut, then pieced together on a handle.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Damn, K, I'm impressed that you got all that Omaha stuff for only $66! I think that's a STEAL!

Lee

It's an interesting thing to consider. I seriously mean to take 66 dollars, and only 66 dollars, and buy as much meat as I can later this week and see what happens. I already know I can buy more, but I think seeing the pics will be impressive......and it stocks my freezer. :lol:

Yeah, I'll have to work the meat to break it down, and drive around town to find it, and use consumables like freezer bags........things to consider.

The REAL question is, how does this meat taste? As HC pointed out, Omaha does NOT say what the grade is (I checked!). Is it Choice or higher......or lower?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I was just reading the Omaha Steaks thread and decided to try to use Google to find out what grade of beef Omaha Steaks uses and ran across this website: Cooking for Engineers . Pretty neat site.

By the way, I never did find out what grade of beef they use.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It's an interesting thing to consider. I seriously mean to take 66 dollars, and only 66 dollars, and buy as much meat as I can later this week and see what happens. I already know I can buy more, but I think seeing the pics will be impressive......and it stocks my freezer. :lol:

Yeah, I'll have to work the meat to break it down, and drive around town to find it, and use consumables like freezer bags........things to consider.

The REAL question is, how does this meat taste? As HC pointed out, Omaha does NOT say what the grade is (I checked!). Is it Choice or higher......or lower?

Or you could just go online and read the weekly store specials. Most stores have them these days. I even get mine e-mailed to me! :thumb:

High Cheese

Saucier
The 4 Sirloin Filets.
Step_9b-10.jpg

Hey Keltin, you have a perfect opportunity to experiment with sous vide cooking since they were so kind enough to vac seal each piece of meat seperately. :mrgreen:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Actually, in my opinion, the cuts don't look hat great, not shaped nicely at all. I'm not convinced that you will get the flavour either.

Ok, the Omaha package arrived today…..all 16.6 pounds of it!

First off, the cooler they ship this in is large, Styrofoam, and reusable. It will make a GREAT resting place for meats off the grill or smoker. It’s bigger than my old Styrofoam resting cooler and is more square meaning larger things can fit inside. So a big plus right there.

Someone here mentioned that Omaha uses excessive packaging?

Yeah. They do. I can only imagine how much money could have been saved on better packaging (see pics below).

The meat looks good, albeit a bit small. But, the portion sizes are big enough for our meals for two.

Everything except the baked potatoes and stuffed fish was vacuum sealed. I imagine because the force of the vacuum seal would have squashed the fish and potatoes. So I’m a bit disappointed in that as their freezer life is much shorter than the other meats. They’ll have to be eaten soon to avoid freezer burn.

Speaking of those “baking” potatoes. My butt! Maybe for a Smurf. These are regular little medium sized potatoes that they cut in half, hollowed out, and filled with mashed potatoes. I’ve seen bigger potatoes in a regular 5 lb bag of Russets!

But, when it comes to size, the hot dogs are huge. I’m actually impressed with them. So I can’t wait to see how they taste. The burgers look like your typical machine pressed pre-made patties, so I’m hoping flavor comes through and makes them worthwhile. The steaks are small and cut to look like a Filet Mignon. I can only hope the meat is exceptional.

The free gifts of the knife and cutting board were utter crap as expected. The knives (if you can even call them that) are suited for yard work…..and that’s iffy at best. The cutting board….HAH! I’ve seen thicker and more rigid magazine covers. But, this was expected.

Overall, I’ve got 66 bucks in this. To be honest, I could do a better job with that 66 bucks by buying a couple of whole chickens, a whole pork tenderloin, some steaks on sale, some ground meat, and maybe even cheap beef that I grind myself. The “value” is definitely not here.

If the taste is not knock-you-naked-and-hide-your-clothes greatness, then I’ve wasted some money here. The only way to justify the amount of money spent for the little bit received is if I paid for high-brow taste. Pound for pound, I can buy far more meat than this for 66 bucks. In fact, I think I will go on a 66 dollar shopping spree later this week to compare.

So, if the taste is there, and this meat is truly special, then the money was spent on indulgence. If the taste is just ok or fair, then the money was spent on ignorance. :lol:

Ok, not ignorance. A learning experience.

Overall, I’m giving Omaha Steaks a thumbs down. If the meat tastes really good, then you’re paying for indulgence, and I’m not really into paying extravagant amounts of money for the high-brow items. Call me frugal.

Heck, if you shop carefully, you can get meat just as good and for far less money. Buy whole chickens and pork loins and cut them yourself.

If, on the other hand, you want to take another point of view……DW and I typically spend 60 bucks plus a tip when we go out to eat, but we get far less meat than this. So compared to THAT kind of spending, this was a deal. :biggrin:

Ok, the only thing left to do is cook one of those little-bitty-happy-meal sized “steaks” and see how it tastes. If the taste is great, I’ll be impressed……but not so much that I’d do this again. I can do far better shopping around on my own buying in bulk and breaking it down myself.

I’m cooking a pair of those mini-moo hunks of meat later tonight and will update when it’s all said and done.

Oh……and the dry ice was very fun!!! :lol:

The box.

Yep. I'm the "someone". :) (See page #1, post #18). I ordered those pork things as well. They have been in the freezer for months -- & no freezer burn. Again, I found the meat bland. Drowning everything in marinade might help.

Last edited:

SomeBoy

Banned
They seem to be a good deal. I will order something later. I love ordering pizza by mail so I guess this is also cool. :p

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We cooked a pair of the Top Sirloin steaks and one of the hamburgers. These were done on the 18” Weber with Kingsford coal.

The steaks were good, but not really extraordinary. Since it was Top Sirloin, it had the potential to be a bit chewy, but if you cut every bite across the grain, you could easily defeat that. The steak was fairly tender with moderate flavor. It was also very juicy.

Overall, I get the same quality Top Sirloin steaks from the meat counter at Publix. The ones at Publix are larger.

The hamburger was a different story. It had amazing flavor. We were both floored. DW’s remark was “This is freaking awesome”. The burger was very tender, moist, and full of flavor. I’m impressed.

If the hotdogs are equally impressive, I just may consider buying a grill pack from Omaha that contains burgers and dogs.

I’d like to see how their ribeye and strips hold up, but for the same (or far less) money, I can buy outstanding Angus ribeyes and strips from Publix. So, I’ll avoid the steaks and other specialty items from Omaha, but if the dogs are as good as the burgers, I am open to future deals on a burger and dogs grill pack.

The meat is good. Don’t get me wrong. And anyone getting this as a gift would probably be pleased (depending on their tastes). But, if you were buying this for yourself, the price per pound is not justified. Omaha is simply too pricey, and doesn’t bring the Prime High-Brow flavor that their price tag suggests.

With a coupon or special deal, I consider the hamburgers to be a good buy. The flavor is really good. If Omaha sold their meat at the same price as Publix, I’d buy from them more often (it’s really convenient, and the individual vacuum packaging is great). But their current pricing is ridiculous. In a coupon included with this order, they are selling 6, 6oz Sirloin Filets like I just got for $34.99. Add S&H of $12.00 to that, and you have $47.00 for 36 oz of meat = 2.25 pounds. That is a whopping $20.88 per pound for the same quality meat I can buy at Publix for $8.99 per pound.

The meat is good, but no where near $20.88 per pound good. Not even close.

Here are the pics. We did the fast defrost by soaking them in cold water. I think that changed the color to the slightly grayish color shown in the first pic. Fast defrosting is recommended and covered in the included Omaha literature, but I can’t help but wonder how the raw meat would look if I let it defrost for two days in the fridge.

We kept the burger simple so that the meat was the star attraction.

Step_1-99.jpg

Step_2-97.jpg

Step_3-89.jpg

Step_4-82.jpg

Step_5-74.jpg

Step_6-65.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
What do they do with the rest of that steak? It's only a portion of the primal cut.

The info on the company says they started out selling their meat to local restaurants and high-end Hotel Kitchens, then expanded to the average consumer.

I imagine the Prime still goes to the big kitchens, and the left over stuff is what they ship to us (which is why no one can find a grade on the meat they are shipping). Mail-order and the internet has given them a great way to make money on those left-over bits the high-end kitchens won't buy. :bonk:

buckytom

Grill Master
funny you should mention the burgers, k. i was just speaking to my mom the other day, and she said that she loves when my brother brings her the burgers from his omaha steaks orders (he's a big fan of omaha steaks but doesn't like hamburgers all that much.). Mom raved about the flavour as you have.

a coworker who buys omaha packages a few times a year says the same thing as the general opinion here about the steaks, but he says that he really likes their chicken cordon bleu, and i think he liked a beef wellington special they ran. i'll as him when he gets in.

i wonder how the casing will be on the big dogs?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good review Keltin. Nicely done. :thumb: :tiphat:
Interesting about the burgers. Keep us posted on what you think of those giant dogs.

buckytom

Grill Master
K, here's some more reviews from coworkers and family:

all of the potato offerings from omaha are small. you need to figure two servings per adult in most cases, or unless you're on a diet.

the roasted potato wedges and garlic mashed were recommended.

the coconut shrimp and crab stuffed cod were seafood specials that were mentioned as being very good by several people. my brother recommends the stuffed sole, but i can't recall which type of stuffing. i'd imagine they'd all be similar, anyway.