Mexican recipe for pork tenderloin

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I was at the grocery store this morning and picked up a copy of one of my favorite magazines, called Cocina Facil (literally, "cook easy" or Easy Cooking.) I get alot of good recipes from this magazine and thought you all might enjoy this one. Like many Mexican recipes, it uses a braising method for cooking, which I've never used with pork tenderloin, but it sounds pretty good. I'll try it soon - maybe someone else will try it before I do! I scanned the page so you could see the picture, and have translated the recipe for you:

Spicy Pork Tenderloin with Garlic and Chiles

Ingredients:

• 1 pork tenderloin, about two pounds
  • 3 TBS lime juice
  • 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 3 guajillo chiles, de-stemmed and de-seeded, cut in fine strips (horizontally)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 5 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

• Arrange the meat in a baking dish, pour in the lime juice, season with salt and pepper, cover with plastic wrap and marinate, at least 15 minutes, in the refrigerator.
  • In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil and sear the meat on all sides
  • Lower the flame, add 2 cups water (I think I would use stock or bouillon) , cover the pan and cook 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked (not sure if 10 minutes would do it, but maybe)
  • In another pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the garlic, add the chile strips, sprinkle with parsley. Add to the meat in the first pan.
  • Turn off the heat and let stand, covered, for 3 minutes. Slice meat into serving portions and serve with white rice

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 178

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa! Looks delicious! Thanks for doing all that work for us, Karen!

Pork tenderloin is so small that I'd bet 10 minutes after searing it would be just about right to have it medium, or even medium rare.

Karen, I have a package of dried guarillo chiles (sp?) that I've never opened. Are they more on the hot side or the mild side?

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Guajillos are more hot than anchos, less hot than chipotles, but I've noticed that they tend to vary from one package to another. They actually have a very nice flavor, as well, and there really aren't enough in this recipe to have much more than a garnish taste. I've fried strips of guajillos with garlic to top fish before, and they get very sweet, crispy and tasty.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds great!

I might use a little more pepper.

I'm with you on the cooking time though, 10 minutes sounds a little short to me.

Jim

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think I might use more chiles, as well. They do vary in size. The pork in the picture looks a little rare for Jerry's tastes, but very tender and juicy. I think I might try 15 minutes. Of course, it does cook some as you brown it, but I usually finish it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

homecook

Karen, this recipe sounds right up my alley, sounds awesome. I was gifted some of these peppers (guajillos) and I'm going to be trying this one day this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OK Barb! Next time I go to the store, I'll pick some up, as well. We'll both be making it sometime this week...I have some nice pork tenderloin in the freezer.