Lamb with White Bean Ragout (Pressure Cooker)

FryBoy

I'm a big fan of pressure cookers, especially those made by [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Duromatic-Pressure-Stockpot/dp/B001A08VPK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235358565&sr=8-13"]Kuhn Rikon of Switzerland[/ame]. Tonight I made the following recipe for dinner, and it was great! Note that it calls for relatively small amounts of herbs and spices, which is typical of pressure-cooker recipes as the pressure cooker tends to intensify the flavor of such ingredients.

Lamb with White Bean Ragout

2 tablespoons olive oil
2½ pounds lamb shoulder chops, trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 cup dry white wine
1 14½-ounce can chopped tomatoes
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 15-ounce cans white kidney (cannellini) or navy beans, drained and rinsed
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Chopped fresh parsley or rosemary, for garnish

1. In a 5- to 8-quart pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate, season with salt & pepper; set aside.

2. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot and return to medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, and stir to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf. Return the lamb and any juices to the pot.

3. Lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust the heat to maintain the pressure. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove pan from the heat, quick-release the pressure, and remove lid.

4. Let stand for 5 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Return the pot to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir into the broth and cook until thickened. Stir in the beans and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.

5. Transfer to a deep serving bowl. Sprinkle with the feta and parsley or rosemary, and serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

FryBoy

Made this again on 4/19/09. Used only 2 pounds of lamb, plenty for me and my wife for dinner tonight plus leftovers for later in the week. Added 3 stalks of celery, sliced, and increased the carrots to 4.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm this looks amazing, and I can often get shoulder lamb chops for a decent price!

I would use my cast iron Dutch oven and cook it in the big oven. You think 350 for 45 minutes would be enough to cook the meat and vegs?

Copied and saved - thanks, Doug!

Lee

FryBoy

mmmm this looks amazing, and I can often get shoulder lamb chops for a decent price!

I would use my cast iron Dutch oven and cook it in the big oven. You think 350 for 45 minutes would be enough to cook the meat and vegs?

Copied and saved - thanks, Doug!

Lee
I'd probably cook it longer in a Dutch oven. 20 minutes on high in a pressure cooker is the equal of at least an hour, probably more. Cook until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Also, you'll probably need more liquid -- the PC preserves liquid. Again, watch it and add some broth or water as needed. It would be somewhat liquid, like a stew, but on a soup.