Stainless Steel & Bleach = Bad Combo

FryBoy

My wife just told me something I didn't know -- bleach corrodes stainless steel. I didn't believe her at first, but I Googled "stainless steel bleach" and sure enough, bleach can stain and even pit stainless.

Some formulations of Cascade Dishwasher Detergent contain bleach, and Reed & Batron, for one, specifically recommends against using it to wash their stainless flatware.

Also, Comet and other cleansers contain bleach. Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami are better choices for stainless as they are bleach-free.

FryBoy

Clarification: It's CHLORINE bleach that's the problem -- oxygen bleaches are apparently OK for stainless.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes and if you have a wife that washes the toilet using chlorine bleaches and it clogs don't use Drano or you can get the exciting exploding toilet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well she cleans the bathrooms but I get the thrill of unclogging the toilets. We share all the work around here. :wink:

chowhound

I'm going to say that if you properly rinse, the threat of pitting would have to be non-existent, don't you think?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
You! That would explain why not to put knives in the dishwasher..

The only issue for me is that I use bleach twice a year to remove the coffee stains from my stainleaa steel caraf. No stains no corrosion no pits

FryBoy

Try vinegar instead of bleach for removing stains and hard-water deposits. Or better yet, look for a product called LemiShine.

FryBoy

I'm going to say that if you properly rinse, the threat of pitting would have to be non-existent, don't you think?
No, I don't thank that would do it. Since the bleach is eating away the steel, any contact is bad. If you rinse quickly, of course, the damage would be minimized -- but why risk any damage?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Blowing a toilet off the floor tends to make a believer out of one but the gasses it gives off can't be good for you either. Some chemical compounds just shouldn't be mixed with you household cleaners being among the most dangerous in some cases. Liquid plumber is safe from what I understand but have tried it since. They may have changed Drano formula since then also this was the early 70's if I remember correctly.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes with a new toilet and a bent mount replacement. It turned out to be one of my kids toys flushed down it. :mrgreen: