The Roving Apron Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Re: The Traveling Apron

That's the way I did the hat for my fly fishing group. It's really a no-brainer. We did try to have groups of people get together to do the signing, then one person snapped individual pictures so we could see the ugly mugs of our online liars.:lol:

we just did the same thing but with a tshirt on one of my bbq forums. there were hundreds of peoples siggies from around the world.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Sounds like fun, Barb and Joe but I don't like my picture online. Now, the apron and something that I baked with part of me showing would be fine. *wink wink wink*

chowhound

Good point, Mav. My latest phone bill just came up missing. That's the second time in 5 months. Apparently some of my neighbors aren't as neighborly as me on returning misplaced mail.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito

Don't send any money with the apron! Sign it! If you want to send a trinket along with it, something that must always travel with it, fine..but it's not for the next person to keep! But, keep in mind, the more that get's sent, the more expensive it's going to be to ship it. I'm all for simple postal shipping. If folded, the apron will fit into a large manilla envelope.

Post the picture and recipe and then send it along. I'm all for setting a 2 week time limit as well. Please don't sign on if you don't think you can move it along within two weeks.

Sorry to jump in and get it moving..but I never got to participate in a prior event like this...and really want to see this one succeed.

What say all of you???

DONT DO IT! Its a TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: ............ :lol:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

Good point, Mav. My latest phone bill just came up missing. That's the second time in 5 months. Apparently some of my neighbors aren't as neighborly as me on returning misplaced mail.

Ours are the same way, they never return anything or even walk it over (they are on the next street over from us). Once a pay check for them came to our house, instead of returning it or marking it as being delivered to the wrong house, we walked it over there.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Yowzer!! My 50 cents!! :lol:

The list is a good idea for those that can look ahead and figure they’ll play in the next few weeks.

If you don’t think you can play in the next few weeks or so, then wait until you can before you say “Hey add me to the list”. Post that you are interested, but you’ll wait to commit in a later post.

In the US, First class mail is 2-3 days no matter where you go. Down the street or across the country, it’s 2-3 days max.

Seriously, let the apron travel.

As Vera said, the apron comes to you, and you do your best to get it back in the mail within 1-2 weeks. Shipping will be 2-3 days tops. Allowing a user to hold it 1-2 weeks should accommodate any sudden things that pop up. And we ARE a family and we do post regularly. So post when you get it, and post when you think you can mail it off.

If we sit around and try to logistically plan where everyone is located geographically, it will be a nightmare. First come first serve as your time schedule allows. Let the USPS do the rest of the work.

If you’re 5th in line, and the 3rd person has it and you see it’s going to be a problem for you, then post and ask to be taken off the list “for now”, and you can get back on the list a bit later. There should be a good week between mailings, so that gives us all time to get ready and know if we can accept and then mail out the apron.

If you don’t want to take your picture in the apron, then string it over a scarecrow, your dog, cat, beer keg, a chair, a mannequin, or next to a plate of food and snap the pic. Then sign it, and mail it on.

This is supposed to be fun. This is supposed to be a chance where we all join hands and hold and touch the same thing, instill it with positive energy, and send it on to the next member.

In the US, the mail is fast, so it doesn’t matter if you’re 50 miles or 500 miles apart. Just mail it on.

Really, for the sake of fun, let’s stop over-thinking it and just bring the USPS back into our lives and let them do what they do best. Electronic communication makes us forget snail-mail, but it still works well.

So I say, first come first serve on the list.

If you see it’s going to be a problem for you, then announce it before the person ahead of you mails it and you can be taken off the list until you are ready. In fact, don’t even give the person ahead of you your addy until they PM you, and at that time you can decide if you’re ready. If not, post, and we’ll see if the next person in line is ready.

When you get the apron. Post that you have it. Sign it and take a pic. Then post that you are ready to mail it. If all else fails, then the person that is ready can post and verify that the next in line is ready, if not, then the NEXT one can speak up.

When you get it, you are not required to take a pic of your person. Instead, just take a pic. Show the apron, your sig, and your cat or favorite cake if you like. If you don’t have a camera, that is fine, just sign the apron and pass it along.

When you mail it, post that it is in the mail so the next person can look out for it within the next 2-3 days.

With good communication, like we all have, and lots of posting, it should be very easy to handle emergencies and problems while we let the USPS do their job.

Seriously, I love you guys, and this isn’t really that hard. There will be at least a week between each person, and we all post nearly every day, so there is plenty of time to handle sudden changes. If you figure on weekends (2 days), a person holding the aprons for at least 2 days (or more), and then 3 days transit time, it’s always going to be 7+ days between each person. Lots of time.

And one other thing…..how many of us are going to do this? If it’s only 10 or so, then there is really no need to rush it…..lets take our time and savor it!!! Waiting on the mail can be a good thing. Let this baby age!

Ok……..thoughts?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

...lets take our time and savor it!!! Waiting on the mail can be a good thing. Let this baby age!

Ok……..thoughts?
I want the stuff in the green can. To hell with aging!:tongue:

High Cheese

Saucier

Vera, do you want to manage the apron?

I only have a couple comments:

1) We need to rename it something besides Traveling Apron.

2) I really don't think we should add anything to the package and just keep it as an apron, not an apron and a bunch of stuff that someone could run off with.

3) If you have issues with the USPO, maybe you can use an alternate address like work or a friends house. Somewhere that's more reliable.

chowhound

"Logistically plan", Keltin?
That cracks me up.

You folks are making this thing much harder (and zen-like) than it needs to be.
And heck, if we aren't going to post a pic of us wearing it while cooking, we might as well just sign it and send it off again. I certainly don't need to see it hanging over someone's chair (lol).

homecook

"Logistically plan", Keltin?
That cracks me up.

You folks are making this thing much harder (and zen-like) than it needs to be.
And heck, if we aren't going to post a pic of us wearing it while cooking, we might as well just sign it and send it off again. I certainly don't need to see it hanging over someone's chair (lol).

But I have lovely chairs chow! :yum:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Sure, Weezer, I'll do it.

for a new name...

1. Have Apron, Will Cook
2. The Flying Apron
3. Got Apron?
4. NetCookingTalk Apron Tour
5. Nomadic Apron
6. The Roving Apron
7. The Orbiting Apron
8. The Visiting Apron
9. The Trekking Apron

homecook

Sure, Weezer, I'll do it.

for a new name...

1. Have Apron, Will Cook
2. The Flying Apron
3. Got Apron?
4. NetCookingTalk Apron Tour
5. Nomadic Apron

6. The Roving Apron
7. The Orbiting Apron
8. The Visiting Apron
9. The Trekking Apron

This is my vote!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

3) If you have issues with the USPO, maybe you can use an alternate address like work or a friends house. Somewhere that's more reliable.

my problem with USPS is that it isnt on my end that i have a problem with USPS.... i will put my name on the list later on in the summer. i want to put a big BBQ stain on it(j/k):lol:

SilverSage

Resident Crone

What Keltin said!!!!! Seriously, let's not complicate it or folks will drop out, and the whole idea is to make it fun for everyone.

Put me on the list! I'm ready anytime!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

Apron on a mission ??
no ??

okay; i vote for "the roving apron"

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I hate to say this, but the USPS simply is not an option for me unless it is sent signature required. I would not want to be the one to have to post and tell everyone it never got to me :(
Sending it back out would not be a problem. If this messes with logistics I would have to refrain.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I hate to say this, but the USPS simply is not an option for me unless it is sent signature required. I would not want to be the one to have to post and tell everyone it never got to me :(
Sending it back out would not be a problem. If this messes with logistics I would have to refrain.

Are you on the list yet Mav? If not, Vera can move me to the bottom and put you right after me. I’ll send the Apron via UPS Ground (the brown trucks) with signature required.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

Are you on the list yet Mav? If not, Vera can move me to the bottom and put you right after me. I’ll send the Apron via UPS Ground (the brown trucks) with signature required.

I don't think I am on the list yet, so that would work out perfectly!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

By the time it gets to you some sure arrangement will be made....if I have to fly on my broomstick to deliver it myself!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Okay, here's the list as I have it so far. I've read all the posts and listed the people who clearly said they wanted to be on the list. JoeV and Mama...I see conversation but not sure if you want to participate. Those who asked to be near the end are. It could be quite a while so anyone who is repainting or chiseling the statue of David, should be enough time.

1. Doc
2. High Cheese
3. VeraBlue
4. Luvs
5. Miniman
6. Chowhound
7. HomeCook
8. Adillo303
9. Love2Q
10. Deadly Sushi
11. Keltin
12. Maverick
13. RobsanX
14. SilverSage
15. TexasGirl
16. BamsBBQ
17. Mama

Anyone else??? Conceivably, we're at a 32 week game...

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Excellent Vera! Good job! :clap:

I'll make sure Mav gets the apron via UPS so his neighbors can't scarf it! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.