What's Cooking NCT Sun. 2/24/2013 to Sat. 3/2/2013

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have corned beef planned. I had one left in the freezer and want to use it before I restock next month. PLUS Jimmy gave me a wolie (sp - craving?) for corned beef!!

Last edited:

thegrindre

I finely made brownies. :smile:
Unfortunately, they don't have the super shiny paper thin cracked shell on top. I don't know why, though.

Attachments

• brownies.jpg
    brownies.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 209

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
In the process of making turkey & carrot curry. Serve with rice and a onion & tomato salad.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Lunch was split pea soup with smoked ham from last night. Corned beef is simmering.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The daughters and two grandkids came to spend the day, so I made course ground chuck burgers, onion buns, roasted sweet potato fries and tossed salad. Choc chip & peanut butter cookies for dessert. Too busy cooking and serving to take pics, but there were no leftovers so it must have been good.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Unfortunately, they don't have the super shiny paper thin cracked shell on top. I don't know why, though.

The thin shiny layer is actually a meringue that rises to the top while baking. Cream the butter and sugar together and then add the eggs. The longer you mix the batter after adding the eggs and before adding the remaining ingredients, the more crust you will get. Martha Stewart has a recipe that says to beat it for 10 minutes. This also works for cookies and cakes too.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Busy day today. No time to cook so we picked up some Popeye's chicken for dinner tonight.

thegrindre

Many thanks, Mama. The recipe is a very tasty one but it is a little on the caky side, too.
Last time I mixed in the flour with a wooden spoon, I had flour clumps.
I used a hand mixer this time.
I've cut the baking time back from 30 minutes to 20 minutes and that helped a lot. They are a little chewier now, yet still done. I don't want raw batter but I want them crumblier, still.
I will beat the stuffins out of the butter, sugar, vanilla and egg next time, though.

It's a recipe I've been working on for quite awhile, now. I call it, Brownies for One.
That's a 1.5QT casserole dish rather then an 8x8 I'm baking it in, BTW. It a bit less to get fat on.

I'm trying to cut all my recipes back for a single person with very little leftovers.
I believe part of the obesity problem is making too much and then eating all of it.

thegrindre

I made my Chicken Vegetable Soup with Rice after pouching a chicken breast, last night.
(Recipe is on my web site.)
Came out pretty good, I must admit.

Attachments

• soup.jpg
    soup.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 197

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sure looks good Rick! I hope the brownie tip works out for you...I love that shiny crust!

I've got a chuck roast thawing. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. I may just grind it up for burgers......

thegrindre

I like my soups very thick. Not like Campbell's watered down stuff. If you added crackers, you could eat it with a fork... it's that thick.

I love that shiny cracked crust, too. LOL
My mom made it that way and I haven't been able to reproduce it.

:)

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Seems I get to cook a lot lately so I am grilling NY strips out on the grill and frying taters and onions in the bacon grease from the bacon that will be crumbled on the taters when done.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I ground up the chuck roast and made Swiss and grilled onion burgers on toasted homemade potato buns. I made tater salad and baked beans for the sides....made it feel almost like summertime :lol:.

Attachments

• dinner02252013.jpg
    dinner02252013.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 186

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
On my Mama, give an hour or 2 and I could eat that up! Managed to get a pic of my steak and taters. Was mighty good.

Attachments

• steak 001.jpg
    steak 001.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 178

thegrindre

Here's a favorite of mine I eat a couple or more times a month.
Pinto Beans made as a soup with all the good flavorings added.
Then the left overs, a few days later, become what I call, Pinto Bean Delight.
I add a couple more tablespoons of red onion and a Johnsonville, Better with Cheddar, sausage right at the last 5 minutes of warming it up. The onion just starts to become translucent but still retains that fantastic inner crunch.
This all goes over a bed of well buttered white rice.
A side of garlic toast tops it all off.

Excuse me, folks, I've made myself terribly hunger...

:)

Attachments

• beans.jpg
    beans.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 190

Shermie

Site Supporter

Dag, that looks GOOD, buddy!!

As long as it tastes good, and I'm sure that it does!! Sometimes, things don't always have to look like you'd expect them to. What matters is that you do a great job!!

Do you have the recipe posted for it? I'd like to try it!! Also, I like the dish that you made it in, as well!!

The pinto beans and the chicken veggie soup look good, also!! :chef:

Attachments

• brownies.jpg
    brownies.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I ground up the chuck roast and made Swiss and grilled onion burgers on toasted homemade potato buns. I made tater salad and baked beans for the sides....made it feel almost like summertime :lol:.

Mama, can I come over for dinner?

That looks GOOD!! :eating2:

Attachments

• dinner02252013.jpg
    dinner02252013.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 181

thegrindre

Sherm, that brownie recipe hasn't been perfected as of yet. I'm still tweaking it but I will share it with all of you one day soon. :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Magnifique!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Beef stir fry with fried rice. I made cranberry relish to compliment (whole cranberry sauce, mandarin oranges & crushed pineapple).

Dinner022513_zps8ee59b88.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all!

Shermie, of course you can come over for dinner. Might be quite a drive though :biggrin:

Joe, as usual you dinner looks amazing...the veggies are perfectly cooked!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Mama!!

To eat you're cooking, I'm quite sure that it'd be well worth the long drive there!!:cooking::driving:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Now, THAT looks good, Joe! I always add little tiny green peas and minced onion to my fried rice.
I have diced onion in this batch. I usually have frozen mixed veggies just for fried rice, but I was out and didn't feel like making a trip to the store. Forget peas, as "She who must be obeyed" loathes peas, but I love them. Some silly thing about "funny texture." Go figure...

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
-blend of baby greens/fruit/feta/kalamatas/cuke ranch & pomegranate viniagrette/proscuitto-wrapped mozzarella
-spaghetti rigati w/ redd sauce
-strawberry fruit & juice bar/& rice milk

Attachments

• salad225.jpg
    salad225.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 287
  • pastadinner225.jpg
    pastadinner225.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 298
  • dessertpop.jpg
    dessertpop.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Breakfast for dinner. DW had scrambled eggs and I had a 2-cheese omelet. The bacon was twice smoked from the Slovenian butcher, and the toast was my 70% hydration Italian-wheat bread recipe that I made Sunday.

Dinner022613_zps01de4dc0.jpg