What's on the menu NCT Sunday 8/19/12 - Saturday 8/25/12?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chips cooked in the microwave....gotta give that one a try!

I had a hamburger for lunch, not sure about dinner.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow Joe...so you just sliced, sprinkled with sea salt and microwaved?

Embryodad

WoW! They are nice chips Joe!

I remembered we made them once, and they were a little greasy, and I got sick.
I think I drank a bottle of Malox. haaaaaa

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wow Joe...so you just sliced, sprinkled with sea salt and microwaved?
Yep! just that simple. The slices have to be extremely thin, and fortunately my mandolin almost shaves taters on the first setting. I then lightly sprayed my microwave bacon tray (with raised ridges) with cooking spray so they don't stick, and laid the slices on it. Sprinkled some sea salt on them and pop in the microwave. I ordered the silicone trays which won't need any spray, but not the mandolin. I think you might be able to do this on a SilPat, but I'm not sure. This is what I'm getting. Two trays for $30. Yeah, they're expensive, but I'll give one as a Christmas gift to one of the kids.

2507_enlarge.jpg

Embryodad

Made some sliders tonight.

4236fbf8.jpg

Good with lots of squooshy mayo!!

005d1e86.jpg

Then I got sort of punished. Avalanche happened, and Tinas strawberry sauce went Oooops!
I left it there while I ate first, Tina cleaned it up!
there could have been an elephant taking a dump in the kitchen, and I would make sure I ate first before I ran for the shovel. Hey! "S" Happens!!
eek.gif

94564129.jpg

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
We met one of the local Pampered Chef representatives at out county fair last week, and were introduced to microwave potato chips. Me and DW both like the flavor, so I came home, got out the mandolin slicer and came up with these chips. I just sprinkled them with sea salt and baked for 4 minutes on high in my 1,000W microwave. Your time may vary based on wattage. Now I want to try them with sweet potatoes.

Batch #1

Microwavetaterchips.jpg

Batch #2

Microwavetaterchips082012.jpg

Mmmm WOW! YUM!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Made some sliders tonight.

4236fbf8.jpg

Good with lots of squooshy mayo!!

005d1e86.jpg

Then I got sort of punished. Avalanche happened, and Tinas strawberry sauce went Oooops!
I left it there while I ate first, Tina cleaned it up!
there could have been an elephant taking a dump in the kitchen, and I would make sure I ate first before I ran for the shovel. Hey! "S" Happens!!
eek.gif

94564129.jpg

005d1e86.jpg

Yummy!

K

Kimchee

Tonight I tried my hand at making salmon with crispy skin.
Seared it in a cast iron pan, then finished it in the oven.
To my great surprise, it came out pretty darn good!
First time I've had salmon with crispy skin, but it won't be
the last.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've got all the stuff to make crab rangoon won ton cups (gonna use fake crab). Something else too, but I don't know yet :dizzy:

Embryodad

I've got all the stuff to make crab rangoon won ton cups (gonna use fake crab). Something else too, but I don't know yet :dizzy:
That sounds good Cooksie!

I like that fake crab stuff. What I do, is I cook it in a cream sauce or in tomato sauce with a splash of cream to make a Rose' sauce. I then take two forks, and press it into some of the fake stuff so it looks like shredded crabmeat.
I do that with shrimp to when I make shrimp salad.

Embryodad

I have an inkling what I would like for supper.

I could go for a nice Ham, cheese, peppers and onion egg omlet.

Tina is down visiting her friend today; so she may pick up some food on the way home. ? ? ? If she does...then the omlets are out for another time to make.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This was lunch, leftover tomato, corn and basil soup.
It's a recipe of Dr. Andrew Weil's, very tasty and healthy.

2012-08-21 12-10-17.452.jpg

As for dinner.. gosh, I have no idea as yet.

Maybe fried fish and a salad.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Everything looks and sounds fantastic!!

I gotta try those chips.

We had skirt steak cooked on the cast iron stove top grill, stir fried veggies (fresh garlic, carrot, celery, bok choy cooked in grapeseed oil) and buttered jasmine rice last night.

Tonight we had homemade lentil soup with brown rice.

Later DD #2 wants me to make cheddar bay biscuits.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This just in......
another quickie dinner needed..........
going with dogs & Kraut................

Embryodad

Tina brought some tomatoes from friends garden, and stopped at Anthony & Sons Bakery and picked up a crusty loaf of bread.

44162b1f.jpg

I had bread and butter, and a couple tomato chunks with salt.

That was it.

Tina had meatloaf from Cracker Barrel. She and her friend went there for lunch.

I have a nice peppers / onions / potatoes and ham cooking for a egg frittata with ham diced fine and I will shave some Locatelli Romano on top. We will pick on that later, and if there is any leftover, we will have it for breakfast tomorrow.

I'll take a pic when it's done.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well I must say dat Tony an da boys do a nice job on a loaf of bread. Just need a bowl of Sunday gravy wit a glass of dago red an you died and went to heaven.

We had my wife's best friend over for dinner (Italian girl...Lapa), so I served up my 4-cheese & spinach ravioli with red gravy, homemade sausage and meatballs, and whipped up some baguettes to push it all around the plate. DW's friend said my sauce was da bomb! I was beaming, dontcha know. DW made a tomato and cuke salad, and her friend brought a Dutch apple pie from Baker's Square for dessert. I took pictures of dinner, but there was a smudge on the lens of my iPhone, so they were garbage. But I did catch the bread when they came out of the oven.

Baguettes082112.jpg

Embryodad

Well I must say dat Tony an da boys do a nice job on a loaf of bread. Just need a bowl of Sunday gravy wit a glass of dago red an you died and went to heaven.

We had my wife's best friend over for dinner (Italian girl...Lapa), so I served up my 4-cheese & spinach ravioli with red gravy, homemade sausage and meatballs, and whipped up some baguettes to push it all around the plate. DW's friend said my sauce was da bomb! I was beaming, dontcha know. DW made a tomato and cuke salad, and her friend brought a Dutch apple pie from Baker's Square for dessert. I took pictures of dinner, but there was a smudge on the lens of my iPhone, so they were garbage. But I did catch the bread when they came out of the oven.

Baguettes082112.jpg
I'll bet it was delicious Joe!

If the sauce and meatballs were as good as that bread.....you were in like flint!

Embryodad

Frittata. ( An after supper snack )

Peppers / onions / potatoes / eggs stirred.

When set and firm... sliced provalone and shaved romano cheeses, and set in broiler to melt.

Sandwich with sliced Italian bread, the frittata and a thin (1) slice of Genova Salami.

5fb5212d.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We'll be feasting on catered in goodies from Panera Bread today!
A thank you from the administrator for a job well done on state inspection.
5 stars again this year, baby!:wow:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That sounds good Cooksie!

I like that fake crab stuff. What I do, is I cook it in a cream sauce or in tomato sauce with a splash of cream to make a Rose' sauce. I then take two forks, and press it into some of the fake stuff so it looks like shredded crabmeat.
I do that with shrimp to when I make shrimp salad.

Sounds good and I have more of the fake crab to use up.

Right now I'm having an Italian sandwich (ham, salami, provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, pepperoncinis, and Italian dressing) on a scali roll. Those rolls are ggrreeeaaat! They just looked good, so I picked them up on a whim. Sure glad I did!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Everything looks and sounds wonderful as usual!!

We had lentil soup with brown rice again tonight. A fresh pot because we polished off what was left from last night for lunch today. LOL
PLUS we had these beauties

Homemade Cheddar Bay Biscuits

082212_cheddar_bay_biscuits_P1090535.jpg

Embryodad

Oooooooo!.. they surely do look good. They would sure go good with the lentil soup, or any soup as a matter of fact.

Embryodad

Just made us a snack... well actually a supper of sorts.

Grilled han and cheese, and a grilled cheese and tomato. We took 1/2 of each, and enjoyed. Tina ate hers in bed. hahaha.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you Jimmy. These were my first try at these biscuits so I followed the copycat recipe I found online. I will be playing with it and try to convert it to all fresh ingredients.

I am going to try using my homemade garlic butter next time. (My garlic butter recipe is posted here already)

I am undecided on dinner tonight.

DD wants pancakes for dinner.

I was wanting to make a meal mom would make when meatless meals were needed - pasta cooked in lentil soup with tomato sauce added. The pasta soaks up the soup broth and tomato sauce (you don't have to drain it).

We shall see.

Last edited: