Tuesday 5/24/11, What will make it's way to your plate?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thank you Joe. I used a long handled ice tea spoon to measure the cornstarch - 3 - 4 heapping ice tea spoons of cornstarch then added enough chicken broth to make a slurry. Made a hole in veggies in the middle of the cast iron pan and poured the slurry in. Turned fire up full and stirred till bubbling and very thick, stirred with the veggies and added chicken broth till the gravy thinned to desired thickness to coat veggies.

Thank you, Peeps!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Keltin. I cut up a boneless pork loin the last time they were on sale. I will use that rub with the next one because I don't think this one will be thawed with enough time to marinade for 2 hours. BTW do you think if I mix that marinade up and up it in a food saver with a hunk of pork seal and freeze it would be good? Or would you marinade in fridge then freeze? Or neiter just wait till thaw then marinade? LOL Lotsa Q's sorry.

Hmmm, the freezing idea is interesting, and I've seen other marinade recipes do it. There really won't be much marinade action happening once it is frozen since molecular activity will be slowed down to near stopping, but when you go to thaw it, it will have all of that thaw time to marinate. I'd give it a shot! It can't get any easier than that. Olive oil freezes well, and retains all of its properties during the freeze & thaw, so it won't degrade in the process. If you do it, please post pics and report your results!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hmmm, the freezing idea is interesting, and I've seen other marinade recipes do it. There really won't be much marinade action happening once it is frozen since molecular activity will be slowed down to near stopping, but when you go to thaw it, it will have all of that thaw time to marinate. I'd give it a shot! It can't get any easier than that. Olive oil freezes well, and retains all of its properties during the freeze & thaw, so it won't degrade in the process. If you do it, please post pics and report your results!
OK next time there is a sale.

Embryodad

Two years ago, I marinated two gorgeous London Broils, and I figured I would do one with Teriaki sauce (Sons Favorite) and the usual oil and garlic and a shot of lemon juice. No salt because the Teriaki Sauce was salty enough.

The other, I marinated with oil, wine, lemon juice; smashed Juniper berries, and black peppercorns and Kosher salt.

I figured I would prep and do this like 4 or 5 day's ahead of time. On the 2nd day, DW said,"Hon, That meat has got to go into the freezer or it will sour!"

Well I took her advice, and set them in the spare refrigerator / freezer in the freezer section which is just a 20ºF lowest temperature. ( That's the way older refridgerators were made years ago ) ...

3 days later, I pulled them out and counter thawed them. They were the best London Broils we ever had. I would think the freezing together with the marinade really imperviated the tissue of the meat. I didn't even spike the meat either.

I've done London Broils with the same recipe, and without freezing, but they did not compare to the ones I previously prepped and kept frozen.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Two years ago, I marinated two gorgeous London Broils, and I figured I would do one with Teriaki sauce (Sons Favorite) and the usual oil and garlic and a shot of lemon juice. No salt because the Teriaki Sauce was salty enough.

The other, I marinated with oil, wine, lemon juice; smashed Juniper berries, and black peppercorns and Kosher salt.

I figured I would prep and do this like 4 or 5 day's ahead of time. On the 2nd day, DW said,"Hon, That meat has got to go into the freezer or it will sour!"

Well I took her advice, and set them in the spare refrigerator / freezer in the freezer section which is just a 20ºF lowest temperature. ( That's the way older refridgerators were made years ago ) ...

3 days later, I pulled them out and counter thawed them. They were the best London Broils we ever had. I would think the freezing together with the marinade really imperviated the tissue of the meat. I didn't even spike the meat either.

I've done London Broils with the same recipe, and without freezing, but they did not compare to the ones I previously prepped and kept frozen.
So you marinated it for 2 days THEN froze it? Froze for how many days? How did you thaw - in the fridge, on the counter or in a water bath?

Embryodad

So you marinated it for 2 days THEN froze it? Froze for how many days? How did you thaw - in the fridge, on the counter or in a water bath?

Marinated two days in the regular medium temp refridgerator.

Froze in the freezer then for day three and day four.

On The Morning of Day Five..I threw it on the countertop in a cookie sheet pan to catch the condensation drippage from running all over, and at 5 o'clock PM, I threw it on the Grill. The only thing is that I slow simmered the both marinade recipes separetely to be sure they would be safe to use as a juice on the sliced Meats. OMG and after straining!! God forbid either of my kids should get a piece of something on their lip. :glare:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Marinated two days in the regular medium temp refridgerator.

Froze in the freezer then for day three and day four.

On The Morning of Day Five..I threw it on the countertop in a cookie sheet pan to catch the condensation drippage from running all over, and at 5 o'clock PM, I threw it on the Grill. The only thing is that I slow simmered the both marinade recipes separetely to be sure they would be safe to use as a juice on the sliced Meats. OMG and after straining!! God forbid either of my kids should get a piece of something on their lip. :glare:
:blob_blue: ROTFL!! Thank you Jimmy!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I use this as a steak "dipping" sauce but I think I will use it as a marinade and try your marinade trick Jimmy.

A-1 Steak Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Soy sauce
Magi Seasoning sauce
Red Wine vinegar
Liquid hickory smoke