Baby white eggplants - what to do with them?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I couldn't get my regular mini Japanese (Ichiban) variety of eggplant, so I picked up a couple of these cuties.

Any ideas on how I should prepare them? I have 5 or 6 of them so far.

Lee

Attachments

• Baby white eggplant.JPG
    Baby white eggplant.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 100

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
my fav for the 'baby' size is peeled, 1/2 slice, double egg / bread with 10-15 minutes air dry between coatings, lightly pan fry.

I did (larger i.e longer) white one once without peeling the skin. the skin did not make me happy, ymmv.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
my fav for the 'baby' size is peeled, 1/2 slice, double egg / bread with 10-15 minutes air dry between coatings, lightly pan fry.

I did (larger i.e longer) white one once without peeling the skin. the skin did not make me happy, ymmv.

Yummm!

Be cool if I got a ton of REALLY little ones (bite-sized), peeled them, left them whole, and did the rest of your recipe, CM. Leaving a little stem on for a handle.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
How about some Baby Eggplant Prarm, Rattatuili, or Baby Eggplant Vegetable Lasagna? :piesmiley1::eating2:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to keep it simple, so I could taste the eggplant.

Took 3 of the little things, peeled and cubed them, sautéed them in olive oil with 1 clove of chopped garlic and some fresh basil leaves. Salt and pepper.

Perfect texture and delicious!

Served with Italian sausage and ravioli with fried sage in browned butter sauce.
Lee

Attachments

• Baby white eggplant, 1.JPG
    Baby white eggplant, 1.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Baby white eggplant 2,  sauteed.JPG
    Baby white eggplant 2, sauteed.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Baby white eggplant 3, plated.JPG
    Baby white eggplant 3, plated.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 78

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've really enjoyed these, and will buy a couple of plants next year.

My favorite way of preparing them has been to slice them lengthwise, thickly, brushing with a little olive oil and sprinkling with some bread-dipping herb mix (any will do - it's excellent to use for a lot of things!)

But, ANYWAY, I picked my last 3 eggplants a week ago, after a cold spell, and their skins were bright YELLOW instead of white.

Anyone ever heard of that?

I made a dish today, using 3 yellow- and 2 white-skinned eggplants - no difference in either flavor or texture.

Kinda neat, actually. Instead of looking like white eggs, they look like Easter eggs!

Lee

Attachments

• White and yellow eggplants.JPG
    White and yellow eggplants.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 66