Monday, 1/31/2011, What's making it's way to the table?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We will be having a reply of last night: pasta of some fashion, garlic bread and salad.

Any plans?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
DW picked up some stuffed pork chops on Saturday, so that's dinner tonight.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm making simplistic food; i would luv 2 make a sammich

may make an 'iggle turkey sammich (i luv thier deli turkey! very close 2 thanksgiving-type) mayo, lettuce, tomato & pepper.

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

Moroccan lamb and lemon tangine....
braised lamb in spices with lemon, zucchini, squash and okra.
New recipe, should be interesting!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
After an absolutely amazing weekend (highs in the 70's both days :w00t:), it's raining and miserable here today so I think comfort food is needed....Salisbury Steak maybe.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sounds like alot of good stuff is cooking today - I am looking forward to pictures! Here's our lunch - leftover vegetable beef soup from yesterday, and some plain cheese quesadillas. The soup looks almost like Campbell's vegetable beef, and kinda tasted like it, too. But in a good way. Since I didn't have any onions, I used a packet of French Onion Soup Mix - it really came out very tasty. Topped it off with some fresh mandarinas that we bought right off the truck this morning, along with some local strawberries and blackberries.

Attachments

• DSCF1059.jpg
    DSCF1059.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 141

Ronjohn

We're having sandwiches of some sort as we get ready for the snow I'm affectionately nicknaming "Deathstorm 2011" based on the local news reports.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Sounds like alot of good stuff is cooking today - I am looking forward to pictures! Here's our lunch - leftover vegetable beef soup from yesterday, and some plain cheese quesadillas. The soup looks almost like Campbell's vegetable beef, and kinda tasted like it, too. But in a good way. Since I didn't have any onions, I used a packet of French Onion Soup Mix - it really came out very tasty. Topped it off with some fresh mandarinas that we bought right off the truck this morning, along with some local strawberries and blackberries.
That looks wonderful Karen!! How do you and Jerry feel today?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok it will be cheese raviolis the gravy from yesterday (I didn't make a giant pot of sauce so it is almost gone), meatballs, sausage and braciole, salad and garlic bread. The last time I went to Cracker Barrel I picked up 2 bottles of their cobbler filling (1 cherry and 1 blackberry). I think I may make the cherry cobbler for a rare dessert.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yummmm, sounds good, Peeps. We are both feeling better, thanks. Nasty bug, but it responded really well to antibiotics.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Looks good, MK, especially those oozy cheese quesadillas :wub:.

I've got chicken and dumplings on the brain for some reason. It's wet and nasty here too.

Leni

It's a beautiful day here. A little windy and cool but nice and sunny. I'm thinking of trying out my smoker that a friend gave me but she couldn't find the manual for it. I'll have to google it or go to Barbecues Galore and see what they can tell me. I'll have to check the freezer and see what I can cook in it.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Very nice Karen!

Salisbury Steak, mashed cauliflower and broccoli

Attachments

• ww-salisbury-steak.jpg
    ww-salisbury-steak.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 136

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh Karen! The soup and quesadillas look really good.
Mama.. I want THAT! haha

Well, I found a can of Campbell's bean with bacon soup in the back of the cupboard and will be having that shortly with some warm buttered rolls.
Too much running around here getting prepared for this damned storm that's coming.
I want soup, then I want to flop :lol:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Stuffed pork chops, Panko & herb crusted potatoes, broccoli for DW and skinny asparagus for me. Salads for both.

Dinner013111-1.jpg

Dinner013111-2.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I had some smoked salmon to use, so for dinner we had Salmon Eggs Benedict. I dressed them with some capers and parsley.

Attachments

• salmon benedict 002.jpg
    salmon benedict 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 127

PanchoHambre

working on food for the week... braising a chuck roast in the oven, poaching a chicken on the stove and have some ribs prepped for the crock-pot overnight and realized a bit too late that this still left nothing for dinner tonight so we ended up eating cheeseburger hamburger helper and freezer fries (these are brothers contributions to the pantry) really it was not so bad though as I was starving.

all these things were supposed to have been started Sunday so I would have a head start on dinners this week but alas sunday was lost to other things.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous Sage.
Joe, you're still a show off lol

Wasn't going to post it here, but what the hell.
It was my dinner and I loved it.

That soup from the red and white can and some Nickles honey dinner rolls, buttered.

Went down real well.
I'd forgotten how much I like the smokey flavour in this soup.

Eaten at the computer desk btw, no fancy kitchen placement for this baby!:yum:

2011-01-31 17-52-36.590.jpg

HFSO353.JPG

K

Kimchee

Moroccan Lamb and lemon tagine!
This was really tasty, and a new lamb recipe for us!
Definitely a keeper.

Attachments

• LambLemonTagine.jpg
    LambLemonTagine.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 134

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone, for the nice compliments about our lunch. Those tortillas are just terrific - wish I could figure out how she (our neighbor) makes them.

Joe, your dinner is magazine material. The chops and taters look wonderful, and I love that pencil thin asparagus. Beautiful eggs and plating, SS! And Sass, I love that bean with bacon soup, too. Real comfort food. Kimchee, I was hoping you'd post a picture when I read what you were cooking. Very impressive! Looks absolutely scrumptious.

We had hash browns, eggs and smoked sausage for dinner. Tasty, but not really picture-worthy. Our dessert was good, though - strawberry and blackberry shortcake.

Attachments

• DSCF1062.jpg
    DSCF1062.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 130

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mama, I forgot about your splendid salisbury steak. It looks really good - nice gravy! And your mashed cauliflower looked pretty, even if it didn't taste so pretty. You are such a gifted cook, I'm confident that you'll get there...

buckytom

Grill Master
i normally don't like to eat on mondays before our weekly cub scout meetings (gotta be lean and mean in order to corral 30 boys), but dw stopped by her favourite fish monger for fresh flounder and ended up breading and frying it, and serving it with steamed stringbeans and mashed spuds.

the flounder smelled so good i had to dig in. served with sinus clearing cocktail sauce, it was absolutely delicious. the best she's ever made. the fish guy gets his biggest delivery on monday, so we'll have to follow his schedule. the flounder was as fresh as if i went out to catch it myself today.

but then the evening went downhill. :neutral:

i finally got in touch with our absent treasurer and chairperson, and thought we had a very pleasent conversation, including that i needed to stop by her house before the meeting to pick up the badges the boys have earned these past 3 months since she went awol. she mentioned that she might make it tonight and will try to at least be at the monthly pack meetings since she can't do every week. (her teenage daughter is about to have her second kid, so they're kinda tied up). if not, she'd call me when she got home and leave the badges in her mailbox for me to pick up.

when i arrived at the meeting hall, the cubmaster immediately let into me, telling me that he was tired of how i think that i'm in charge and had no right to tell the treasurer/chairbitch that she had to start coming to meetings. that i needed to remember that i'm only the assistant and had better back down and start acting that way.

somehow, when i mentioned that i was looking forward to working with this woman on both the blue and gold dinner of which we are supposed to organize together (yeah right, like she'll show up) and in the future when i become cubmaster, she somehow turned that into that i was trying to bully her into showing up weekly or to get out. she immediately called the cubmaster to tell him how rude i was and who do i think i am?

wtf!!!!

in our conversation, when she mentioned her child was about to have her second child, i both congratulated her and offered to keep her family in my prayers until god could bring another of her family into the world.

how many bullies do you know say the rosary every day and petition god for others' well being?

i kinda lost it and told the cubmaster that he can keep this bullshit, and i was going to step down and just be a den leader if that was ok. he accepted my resignation quite quickly, and said that this was obviously not for me.

nope, childish backtalking/backstabbing from whackjobs sure ain't for me was my response.

and just then the scouts and their parents came in so the subject was dropped.

later in the meeting, the cubmaster came to me and asked me to reconsider, which i said i would do only because it would make my son sad for me to step down, as well as all of these boys really need good influences in their lives, not just the b.s. of well intended looneys who don't show up and do nothing else but stir the poop.

oh, i forgot that this woman never called, and when i went to her house just as the meeting began to pick up the badges, nothing was in the mailbox, she turned off her phone, and when i knocked on the door the lights in the house went off. lol.

she only ended up hurting the boys, and pissing me off.

so now i have a big decision. do i stay and fight the good fight with this absentee nutcase for my son and the rest of the boys, or do i step down and look for another cub scout pack?

the funniest part of all of this is that she is a devout christian, with religious stickers on her bumper, and even her email address being a creepy bible thumping expression @so-and-so.com.

apparently, the christ she knows needs medication and therapy.

ok, so, sorry to rant but my blood is boiling.

on a more positive note, my boy won second place in the rocket derby tonight and his best friend won first, of which they were tremendously proud. i'll bet there are people who came tonight who are wondering how i cheated to get him to win. can't wait till that shitstorm starts...

i need a beer.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a GREAT fish dinner compliments of Mrs. BT.
STAY with the scouts just as you are Tom.

Don't allow others to bully you with their dramatic bullshit when you have good intentions for those darling little boys and your son.
They are what matter the most.
Like you, our church was the base of the scout pack when my boys were in it all those years ago.
Some of those people acted like they were completely out of their minds when it came to honesty and values. It was more about THEM than the scouts at the end of the day.
Oh and don't even mention the rosary or the religious aspect, been down that road too. blah blah blah..

Yay!! for your punkin for winning the rocket derby! :D

Kids don't understand when their parents have given up time to give of themselves for them and other kids, and then adults(?) start piddly crap.
I am sure your son doesn't really understand your anger, if in fact you've shown it much in front of him.

Be you, and push on. Don't worry about anyone else.
It's sad that it's come to this, and I feel for you.

Keep planning the blue and gold dinner.
You'll be there.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks very much, sass and luvs.

the worst part is the cubmaster knows that this woman has caused problems with every single adult leader that's volunteered, and we still haven't seen the books that she's supposed to keep, but he still backs her up and takes her word for everything because they're friends and started this pack together, and she technically is a higher rank than him being the chairperson. it would be very difficult to get her thrown out, so that's not being considered. not that i want her to go. the boys need every volunteer we can get.

i know you guys are right, so i just have to calm down and work out a strategy.

my s.o.p. is to confront things head on with a clear mind and pure heart, so i think i'll give ger a call tomorrow and ask her what i said that upset her and apologize for any misunderstanding. i'll also put the ball in her court by asking if she wants me to step down. if i go, there's no one to take my place so the pack would run without a cubmaster. i'm not sure how long that will be allowed by the scouts. we'll see how she handles that.

in retrospect, i can understand that her life must be full of tension right now, but i'm not her first victim. i'll go easy, but i'm not a doormat.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Be cool, calm and collected and prove yourself.

Her life might be under pressure right now- but she needs to leave that aside and not bring it into what she's doing with scouting.

Maybe you being levelheaded will cause her to take another look at her own actions.
We can only hope.

You're a good man Tom, with a good heart... it's quite apparent. ;)