Ignore Expiration Dates...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I ignore most of them. Milk is an exception.

Lee

K

Kimchee

I definitely use my nose, eyes and common sense before I rely on a date.
Guidelines, not rules!

phreak

Speaking of milk and "sell by dates"...We've been buying Organic Milk for awhile and the sell by date is always WAY later than the non organics. I wonder why.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Speaking of milk and "sell by dates"...We've been buying Organic Milk for awhile and the sell by date is always WAY later than the non organics. I wonder why.

Intriguing! It could just be that it gets to market faster.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there's a lot of misunderstanding about food "freshness" dating floating about. the Federal laws (i.e. apply everywhere) are very limited -

/q
Is Dating Required by Federal Law?
Except for infant formula and some baby food (see below), product dating is not generally required by Federal regulations.
/uq
ref: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Food_Product_Dating/index.asp

the "not generally required" is an interesting catch phrase - (some) shellfish must carry not only harvest date, but place of harvest, for example - mussels, clams . . .

past that it's up to state laws - so there's a whole bunch of those - few of which "agree" - and recently while researching some state laws I found state examples where state laws explicitly do not require manufacturers or retailers to "pull" out-of-date stuff from the shelf, nor legally ban the sale of stuff 'past the date.'

essentially manufacturers establish their own guidelines for sell by or use by dates - typically based on their concepts of 'product / quality' deterioration.

another oddity is for example eggs - it's legal, at least in some states - for egg suppliers to remove 'expired' eggs from the case, rewash/reprocess them and put a 'new' date on the package. our local market recently made a big deal out of "our eggs are never re-processed"

it certainly pays to know your own local / state laws - regrets I've not found a site that summarizes all the known state regulations.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm with Kimchee on this one. Eyes, nose and common sense. I have found my milk usually lasts for a week after the expiration date. I keep it in the back of the refrigerator and never in the door. Same with eggs.

PanchoHambre

If it smells or has fuzz or slime I chuck it.. otherwise I generally use it... unless I can't even remember when I bought it. In that case it goes. Generally rely on the senses though.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I do the same thing, Pancho. If it looks normal and doesn't stink, I consider it relatively safe. It drives my girlfriend at the coast crazy. She sneaks into my house when I'm not there and throws away everything that is expired.

buckytom

Grill Master
i laugh every time is see someone toss out cheese that is a day or two past expiration. it's freakin' cheese! ya know, the stuff that was invented to preserve milk? or ham. again, preserved pork.

in january, i made some italian dishes with mozarella that was 2 or 3 months past expiry. it was easy to tell that it was still good because it was solid and smelled ok. mozz gets runny when it starts to go bad. i also used eggs that were past due, so to say. in that case, i cracked one open to see what it smelled like, then i boiled a few to check further. my birds love to eat my experiments so nothing was wasted.

something that i've found goes bad fairly quickly was canned soda. i don't recall ever tasting bad soda years ago, but recently a few of us discovered someone's stash of soda behind a rack of equipment in a lightly used control room. we figured that it was about a year old from the last time the room was used for ncaa basketball. so, of course we took it back to our office. unfortunately, it tasted like the flavour chemicals had seperated from the carbonated water. yuk!

Last edited: