Spanikopita

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
This is the amount I make for 2. Recipe can be easily scaled up. I either make the triangles or I use a 5 inch pie plate.

4 sheets of phyllo dough
5-6 ounce package of baby spinach, washed
1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
1/2 of a good size red onion, finely chopped
1/2 green onion, finely chopped (some of both white and green parts)
1 medium size clove of garlic, crushed and very finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 egg, beaten (you will only use about 2/3 of this)
2.5 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled
a tiny pinch of grated nutmeg
2 tsp fresh dill, chopped (optional)
Melted butter for brushing

Cook the onions in 1 Tbsp of butter or olive oil until soft and turning golden. Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add spinach in batches and cook until wilted. Add some salt and pepper along the way. Remove from heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Gently squeeze handfuls of the spinach mixture to remove most of excess liquid and place into another bowl. Discard liquid left in pan. Mix in the feta, about 2/3 of the beatn egg (discard the rest), nutmeg, green onion and dill if using.

Preheat the oven to 350 and start shaping your spanakopita triangles.

For triangles, spread 1 sheet of the phyllo dough on a board and brush with butter. Lay another sheet on top and brush with more butter. Cut the phyllo sheets in 3-4 lanes (depending on if you like the spanakopita triangles to be small or larger). At the end of each lane add 1-2 Tbsp of filling. Fold one corner to form a triangle and continue folding the triangle upon itself, until the entire piece of phyllo is used. Continue with the rest phyllo sheets and filling. Oil the bottom of a large baking tray (or use parchment paper) and place the spanakopita triangles on the tray. Brush them with some melted butter on top. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crispy.

For a pie, brush the pie plate or baking dish with butter, lay a piece of phyllo cut to just overhang the edges of the baking dish by about 1/2 inch. Brush with butter, lay down another piece of phyllo, brush with butter. Repeat. Place the filling in the baking dish. Fold the overhanging phyllo into the baking dish. Cover with remaining phyllo dough cut to fit the top of the dish. Brush with butter, repeating twice. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

Attachments

• 2018-08-22 18.46.13.jpg
    2018-08-22 18.46.13.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 130

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Printing this one out, too!

Yum!

Thanks again, Karen!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the triangle trick is a neat one!
just got some fresh spinach - need to try this with olive oil vs butter tho.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The original recipe listed olive oil as an alternative, but I've always used butter, so...

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've also seen recipes with olive oil.

using it as a sub typically works, but usually things don't brown quite the same.

heh, if it flops, peel off the crust and eat the spinach! I'm easy to please (g)