200 g butter
5 dl (2 cups) wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 dl (0.42 cup) cold water

Filling:
oil for frying
1 leek
100 g smoked reindeer steak (elk is ok too)
1 dl (0.42 cup) grated cheese (emmental or something similar)
1 dl (0.42 cup) crumbled blue cheese
2 dl (0.8 cup) sour cream
3 eggs
black pepper

1. Mix the dry ingredients in a soft fat, add water and stir until smooth. Keep the dough in the refrigerator half hour.
2. Heat a oil in a frying pan. Sauté pieces of leek.
3. Mix all filling ingredients together.
4. Share the dough to 20 parts. Flatten and roll out into round pieces. Spread to aluminum trays on the bottom and along the edges.
5. Add the filling and bake at 175 degrees C / 350 degrees F 20 min. Allow to cool a little and remove the pies from the trays.

8527986677_2cf4e970f9_z.jpg

Image: http://tuumasta-toimeen.blogspot.fi/2013/03/syntymapaivatarjoilut.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Reindeer pies

Okay, so since we don't see any reindeer or elk meat in my area, I'm wondering what other kind of smoked meat would go well with blue cheese, emmental cheese, sour cream and eggs.

What about bacon?!! Or ham?

Saliha, I know other meats are not traditional, but the meat pies look wonderful, and if the title of the post was changed to "Finnish Meat Pies", I think more people would click on it.

What do you think? Let me know if you want me to change it.

I'm thinking that these would bake in muffin pans.

Lee

Saliha

Re: Reindeer pies

Finnish Meat Pies looks good - more exotic to you guys I think. :wink: It is ok to change the name. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that smoked ham or smoked bacon might work well with those pies too (as originally smoked reindeer meat is quite strong by its taste).

And yes, muffin pans... that was the word I was looking for when wrote that recipe...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
100 grams would be 1/4 lb. of smoked ham or bacon (4-5 slices of bacon).

YUMMMM!

Lee