Wedding?

CharlieD

Need help with appetizers for a wedding.

There will be mushroom barely soup served at the table latter and then chicken and rice diner buffet. I have to come up with appetizers for about 80 people, something that will be on the table.

No Dairy, No Fish, allowed. Meat is ok, but rather not, the cost is an issue here. Something that Americans would eat. I know what I’d serve for Russians.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boy, I can see your plight, Charlie! The no-dairy thing is a killer!

Okay, how about bruschetta, with a couple of different toppings?

Here are two suggestions:

Tomato Tapenade

1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
1 small garlic clove, or several roasted garlic cloves
3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Soft goat cheese, optional

1. In the bowl of a food processor, place the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic. Pulse several times to coarsely chop and combine. Add 3 tablespoons of the oil, the capers, basil, balsamic vinegar, and pepper. Continue to puree until the mixture is well combined. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil if it seems too chunky. Place the tapenade in a bowl and garnish with the goat cheese, if desired.

Makes 1 cup

White Bean Puree with Roasted Garlic and Sage

1 small head garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 to 3 small fresh sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Finely chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish

1. Remove the loose, papery outer skin from a head of garlic and cut off the top to expose the cloves. Place the garlic on a large square of aluminum foil and drizzle 1 teaspoon of olive oil over the top of the cloves. Fold up the sides and seal to make a packet, leaving a little room for the expansion of steam. Bake in 350 oven 30-45 minutes or until the cloves are soft. Set aside to cool.

2. In the bowl of a food processor, squeeze out the garlic cloves, then add and puree the beans, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Add the parsley and sage and process to give the puree a spreadable consistency that resembles the texture of hummus. If necessary, add additional olive oil to create a smoother consistency. Place the puree in a bowl and garnish with the parsley.

Makes 1-1/2 to 2 cups

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was just at a wedding and they had it a fancy hotel. For appitizers they had cheese plates, cheese balls, veggie trays with dip and crackers.
All seem simple and it went over very well.

I'm curious ...what would you make if it were for Russians?
Maybe your American crowd would enjoy trying some of that stuff also.

CharlieD

Russians are easy. give them 10 kinds of hearing and they would be happy. I'm joking of course. I would have to start a whole new thread just for the russians appetisers. There are a lot of beets salads, a potato salads that are nothing like an American salad, fish salads. hearing salads.

CharlieD

I probably should mention, that I'd be happy if you, folks, would give just ideas, i will find recipes latter my self. Just to make it easier for everybody. Thank you.

*Mushroom pate

Pigs in a blanket

Toasted/fried ravioli - filled w/ butternut squash

Guacamole & pico de gallo

Burek - stuffed with spinach & pine nuts
Take a look at the Greek cigars recipe & links I shared w/ Kelton on What to do w/ fillo dough.

Mushroom turnovers

Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry

*Mushroom pate-filled Puffy Stars
http://www.vegalicious.org/2006/12/04/mushroom-pate-filled-puff-pastry-stars/
(Or, maybe you could stuff them w/ chopped liver.)

Stuffed mushrooms - stuff w/ couscous

Stuff tiny red potatoes - wanted to say w/ pesto , but forgot it has cheese

Last edited:
Me too, CD :)

Tortellini kebabs (not cheese filled) - w/ black olives, cherry tomatoes, cocktail onions, button mushrooms

Eggplant balls w/ marinara/tomato dipping sauce

Zucchini pancakes - can you use egg sub?

Spinach & stuffing balls

Gazpacho shooters - slice cucumbers about 1 1/2-2" tall. Hollow out, but not thru the bottom. Fill w/ red or white gazpacho -- borscht might be interesting. You drink the gazpacho, & eat the cucumber.

Deviled eggs w/o the yolk. Boil the eggs & fill w/ guacamole or pesto. Top w/ toasted pine nuts.

I could eat a whole bowl of kasha varnishkas, but guess that wouldn't be an appetizer LOL

Last edited:
Wow, great ideas, CalCook!!!

Lee

Thanks, Lee, good to see ya. Luv appetizers.

Charlie, is it Kosher only? Can you use ham or prosciutto?

Thought of a few more...

Mini knishes - you can fill them w potatoes, chopped liver, kasha, spinach

Avocado & melon wedges wrapped in prosciutto w/ balsamic vinaigrette

Rumaki

Pizzettas - An Armenian restaurant I like serves a zahtar (?) pizza - no cheese. Do a google for armenian pizza, & cut it up in 2-3" squares.

Avocado & chimichurri bruschetta. You could turn this into a pizzetta.
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10720?section=144

CharlieD

Wow, that's really great. Thank you.

Eggs are fine, it is kosher, so no ham. The main problem in all the truth, this wedding is on very tight budget. Neither parents have money, or do kids. So I am tryiing to help out as much as I can. Need to balance between inexpensive and easy to make, but taste and look good things. Thank you again.

Wow, that's really great. Thank you.

Eggs are fine, it is kosher, so no ham. The main problem in all the truth, this wedding is on very tight budget. Neither parents have money, or do kids. So I am tryiing to help out as much as I can. Need to balance between inexpensive and easy to make, but taste and look good things. Thank you again.

These are inexpensive, easy, & you might make them ahead.

Potato, mushroom, & egg omlette (like Tortilla espanola). Cut in small squares & serve on party picks.

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/06/22/tortilla-espanola/

&

Stuffed mushrooms (stuffed w couscous or hummus?)

I like layered (pasta) salads like this:

http://www.ilovepasta.org/recipes/Layered_Picnic_Pasta_Salad.html

Add any veggies/ingredients & dressing you like.
And, mini kugels for YOU :) :chef:

http://www.ilovepasta.org/recipes/Noodle_Kugels_Raspberry.html

CharlieD

Thank you, lot's of food for thought (no pan intended). :respect:

Actually, mind me, I hate kugels. :lol:

Thank you. I will consider what is easy and not expensive and present to the family. Though I pretty much may think what they may want from the selection above. Thank you very much.

Deelady

How about Roasted Aspharagus spears wrapped in Phyllo dough?

or an assortment of mini empanadas using refrigerated biscuit dough and your choice of filling

or....Risotto Balls served withh a marinara for dipping

CharlieD

Nothing. For whatever reason the mother of the groom os not talking to us all of a sadden. Who knows, maybe becasue the food for the wedding shour was better than the wedding food, I have no clue. But she basicaly refused any help, so pard muy lenguage but screw them.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nothing. For whatever reason the mother of the groom os not talking to us all of a sadden. Who knows, maybe becasue the food for the wedding shour was better than the wedding food, I have no clue. But she basicaly refused any help, so pard muy lenguage but screw them.
If the Mother of the groom is paying for the food and does not want your contribution, then just go to the wedding and have a good time. It's hard to please some people, so just please yourself. Is there any Vodka being served? Can't imagine a Russian wedding without Vodka. Maybe some Grey Goose or Absolut or Stolichnaya?

You probably saved yourself from a big headache -- cooking for 80 people, on a budget, & food restrictions. I would have given them a check for $80 & told them to get married in Vegas, eat at an all-you-can-eat buffet, & throw in an Elvis impersonater. LOL j/k Oh, well. Maybe there's something here you & your family might like.