Pickeled Okra

Nica

If you can't grow okra.......then no one can help you! We have had such a good crop this year we are about "okraed" out. Here's the recipe for our pickled okra. I just love it.

Pickled Okra
1 qt white vinegar
1/2 Cup non iodized salt
1 Cup water
fresh okra
dill seed
hot red peppers
hot green peppers
garlic cloves

Boil water, vinegar, and salt after mixing
Place 1/2 tsp dill seed in bottom of each pint sized jar
Pack fresh okra in as tight as possible taking care not to bruise
Add 1/2 tsp dill seed
Add 1 hot pepper of each kind to each jar
Add 1 clove of garlic to each jar
Fill jars to within 1/2 inch from top with boiled solution
(save left over solution for next time)
Seal jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes
Allow to stand for two weeks
Chill before serving

This makes 3 pints

Attachments

• More Okra (600 x 450).jpg
    More Okra (600 x 450).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never seen Okra like that. You must be the picture of health Nica with all the veggies you grow. :thumb:
Good job!!!!!

(When I read the thread title I thought it was orka, whale meat. :D)

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Seems like no matter how hard I tried to get every one that was ready I would always find a few that were a foot long that we had missed. Usually too woody to eat when they got this big.

I may have said this before but the BEST way to cook okra is to slice them into bite sized pieces, roll in cornmeal and fry them.

Jim

Nica

Never seen Okra like that. You must be the picture of health Nica with all the veggies you grow. :thumb:
Good job!!!!!

(When I read the thread title I thought it was orka, whale meat. :D)

Ha......on the orka...:D

As to the health.......both my wife and I would be in super health if we were not so damn determined to undermine nature with our bad habits!

Nica

Seems like no matter how hard I tried to get every one that was ready I would always find a few that were a foot long that we had missed. Usually too woody to eat when they got this big.

I may have said this before but the BEST way to cook okra is to slice them into bite sized pieces, roll in cornmeal and fry them.

Jim

Jim...that "is" one of my favorite ways to prepare okra. I never get tired of it, however, Judy gets tired of cooking it that way more than a couple times a week. :D

If I don't pick every day religiously, I get some big ones. I dry these and save the seeds. Trust me...I have a lot of seeds. :dizzy: