The salads of summer - Potato salad

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Summer is coming, I can feel it. the trees are getting green and cookouts will soon start, if they have not already.

I was just craving a potato salad and discussing it with someone and I realized that that name covers an awful lot of different versions of the same thing. So, in the interest of variety, here is my recipe and I encourage you to post your own. Maybe we can try each others versions this summer.

Potato Salad

5# Russet Potatoes
6 eggs
1 medium onion, I use a sweet onion
4 or 5ave stalks of celery
Salt, pepper and mayonnaise to taste

Peel the potatoes, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Rinse, put in a pot and cover with water. Gently place the eggs in the water. Bring to a gentle boil.

I think that this next step is the secret, if there is one, to my salad. Watch te potatoes very closely. When they are cooked to the point where there is just a small bit of mush on the outside, take them off immediately, rinse well with cold water to stop any further cooking. The potato cubes should not crunch when eaten. The little bit of mush combines with the mayonnaise and makes the "gravy".

In a big bowl, put the onion, finely chopped, the celery, finely chopped and the eggs after they are peeled and chopped. Add the potatoes. Add some mayonnaise and mix well. Take care not to get so much mayonnaise that it gets too sloppy, Add mayonnaise a little at at time. After the first mix, use salt and pepper to taste. Look for a nice consistency.

Let it set for a few hours for the flavor to come up.

That's it! Serve and enjoy.

OK, let's see yours.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here's mine:

bowlpotatosalad.jpg

6 to 8 medium potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces
1 tablespoon salt (for boiling potatoes)
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely diced
3 hard boiled eggs, finely diced
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoon Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
paprika for sprinkling on top

Peel and cube potatoes. Put potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low boiling gently until fork tender. Drain and set aside.In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except potatoes and paprika.
Fold in warm potatoes and refrigerate. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.
**This will make a big dish of potato salad so if unless you making it for a family picnic, you may want to cut the recipe in half.

cookingirl

My potato salad is pretty much the same except:
Potatoes
eggs--hard boiled finely chopped
onion
grated carrot--just a tad
apple cider vinegar==to taste, not much
mayo

while potatoes are cooling, just splash with a little cider vinegar (nice acidic and sweet taste)

My only problem is cooking the spuds:doh:
Mine are either undercooked rocks in the center or potato mush!
I have tried cubed, whole and still have problems!!
I need remedial training on potato cooking--for salad that is!:laugh:

Carolina Cooking

Gosh mine is just plain jane. But its good all the same.

Yukon Gold (or russets)

sliced sweet onion
sliced celery
salt
big ole spoonfull mayo
medium spoonfull yellow mustard .I don't measure.
just mix.

Dill Potato Salad

red potato's
sliced red onion really thin.
salt
mayo
sour cream
handfull dill weed. I don't measure.

Carolina Cooking

My only problem is cooking the spuds:doh:
Mine are either undercooked rocks in the center or potato mush!
I have tried cubed, whole and still have problems!!
I need remedial training on potato cooking--for salad that is!

Cyn
I don't peel mine. I wash them. put them in a pan then add water. bring to a boil. I don't even time them but maybe could be 20 min IDK. I use a meat fork to stick them lol when it feels solid but soft they are done.
cool them then I peel them.:wink:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
red potatoes
yellow or red onion
green onions
celery
sour cream
mayo
white vinegar
dry mustard
flat leaf parsley
sea salt and ground peppercorns

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
pacific rim salad. so refreshing. when i'm more motivated i'll post that. involves citrus/jicima/lettuces/steak/vinagrette....... Chef changed the recipe somehow. i''ve posted it b-4, though i ought find the modified recipe.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Make sure that you start your potatoes in cold water. This will give the inside of the potato time to come up to temperature so the potatoes will cook evenly. There's a scientific reason for starting them in cold water...it has something to do with the starch...

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom's potato salad-

unpeeled boiled potato, then peeled
mayo
mild onion dices
mustard
evapped milk
s/p
boiled egg garnish/ some egg folded in

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, yours is mine, with a little black pepper.

A friend of mine brought this potato salad to a pot luck, but he added crumbled bacon and used the giant celery stalks as salad tongs.

I loved that!

Lee

QuirkyCookery

Mine's really basic:

Potatoes (duh :p)
Sweet pickles, diced tiny
Onions, same size as pickles
Mayo
Mustard
Salt to taste

Mustard should be on the heavier side so that the salad is yellow, not white or off white. Pickle juice is used to thin it out some if necessary.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like mustard potato salad too:

potatoes
eggs
celery
red onion
pimento stuffed olives
mustard
mayo

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mine's really basic:

Potatoes (duh :p)
Sweet pickles, diced tiny
Onions, same size as pickles
Mayo
Mustard
Salt to taste

Mustard should be on the heavier side so that the salad is yellow, not white or off white. Pickle juice is used to thin it out some if necessary.

Hey that's my potato salad too!! :thumb:

Well, we also add chopped boiled eggs to it as well. Other than that, same thing. Love that stuff!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Make sure that you start your potatoes in cold water. This will give the inside of the potato time to come up to temperature so the potatoes will cook evenly. There's a scientific reason for starting them in cold water...it has something to do with the starch...

Really?!?! Didn't know that! Awesome tip Mama, thanks!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Here's mine:

bowlpotatosalad.jpg

6 to 8 medium potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces
1 tablespoon salt (for boiling potatoes)
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely diced
3 hard boiled eggs, finely diced
2 cups of mayonnaise
2 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoon Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
paprika for sprinkling on top

Peel and cube potatoes. Put potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Add a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low boiling gently until fork tender. Drain and set aside.In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except potatoes and paprika.
Fold in warm potatoes and refrigerate. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.
**This will make a big dish of potato salad so if unless you making it for a family picnic, you may want to cut the recipe in half.

Sounds good! :picnic:

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
My grandma always put a lot of boiled eggs in her potato salad saying "the more eggs the tastier the potato salad" and it really was delicious.

JackieBlue

Banned
My aunt made the best potato salad I ever tasted. She would never tell anyone the recipe because she didn't want to give away her "special ingredient". Sadly she has passed away and I never did get the recipe from her. When I ask my cousins what the "special ingredient" was, they just laugh.

mhend

Mine is a really simple recipe and I don't measure the ingredients either. I just eyeball it.

Red potatoes
mayo
red onion - finely diced
hard boiled eggs
sweet pickle relish or salad cubes
salt
pepper

Boil the potatoes until just tender, immediately submerge into an ice bath to stop the cooking. I like chunks of potato and this keeps them from getting mushy or falling apart. Once cooled, drain and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm working on one from a polish deli in a nearby town that is delicious. the secret ingredient is pineapple juice, although it doesn't it doesn't taste pacific rim-ish.

also, when we're talking spuds, are they wax, red, russets, new, or what? (thanks to those who specified).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, yeah! I put hard-boiled eggs in mine, too!

BT, I use Yukon Golds for EVERYTHING. I never peel them, either.

Lee

K

Kimchee

of all places, WALMART has a "red bliss" potato salad that I just love. Haven't QUITE duplicated the taste, but getting close....

I am a potato, egg, celery, onion, dill pickle, mayo mustard purist, otherwise. :)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the choice of potato I think really relates to how you like your potato salad.

I like potato salad in both hot & cold variations - and 'mushy' as well as hmmm, what,,, crisp/clean/not saucy...? dunno what to call it.

russets for example when mini-slightly over-cooked will have the starch break down and you get a 'mealy' effect - the starch mixes in with the (typically) mayo based dressing and you get a 'sauce' so to speak. the mayo based gets the celery, pepper, onion, chopped egg, etc 'additives' around here.

waxy types don't do that - they stay nice and clean 'like cut right out of the box' - a hot bacon dressing is really good on these - but just tossed in olive oil & seasonings is nothing to turn down either. I don't care for the mayo style dressings on the waxy ones - I like 'em as tasty nekked tater chunks / slices.

QuirkyCookery

I use any potatoes. I like variations between russets and red potatoes, so I may use one this time, the other next, and the following time, I might use 'em both in the same mix (I like doing this with mashed potatoes, too....creates different textures).

GotGarlic

I have a couple recipes I like to make. I'll just list the ingredients here:

From Rachael Ray: Mom's Potato Salad with Pimento and Peas
  • 2 1/2 pounds white thin skin potatoes, peeled and diced (I use Yukon Gold for practically everything)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar or cider vinegar
  • 1 (6-ounce) jar, sliced pimento, drained and chopped (I use 1 roasted red pepper)
  • 1 cup frozen sweet peas
  • 1 small white onion, peeled and left whole
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise or, just enough to bind salad
  • Salt and pepper

From Bobby Flay: Mesa Grill's Southwestern Potato Salad
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons chipotle pepper puree
  • 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
  • 3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
  • 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 16 new potatoes, about 3 to 4 pounds, cooked, drained and sliced 1/2-inch thick