The Franken-Pantry

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You know the cool thing......looking back at the pics of the ingredients used, each one has a name attached to it. Mushrooms from SilverSage, Cream from Luvs, and so on. That's actually pretty neat.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That would have been nice, didn't find it in the Franken-Pantry though. :lol:

But that is a good idea. :thumb:
Would have been nice to toss the noodles in butter and fresh parsley then topped with that yummy sauce/gravy!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
we can start a new Franken-Pantry each week

Yes, yes! This is fun...your mushrooms and noodles look great, Keltin. Very ingenious of you. I have some pork loin in the freezer. I'll look for some good mushrooms next time I shop.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i've 1 recipe 'goin in my mind & butter's in there, & that ain't addt.'ll; that's using that ingredient list. i luv so very this, keltin!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i've 1 recipe 'goin in my mind & butter's in there, & that ain't addt.'ll; that's using that ingredient list. i luv so very this, keltin!
Are you going to make butter out of the heavy cream? :applause:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Yep, the Franken-Pantry can bite ya, but that is part of the fun! :lol:

Butter would've been great, but you know, oil (any oil) is a staple - you are free to use any oil. You might be able to adjust your recipe and idea to using an Olive or other type of oil????

Oh, and thank you for adding the cream to this Pantry! It so worked for me!! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Are you going to make butter out of the heavy cream? :applause:

Whoa, can you do that??? :lol:

I have actually been kicking around ideas of how to harness and use potato starch as a thickner since we don't have flour in this Pantry.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
grateful that was appreciated, keltin! i leapt 4 my notebook & got my pen & so very quickly jotted my recipe(s) so as 2 keep them awake in my mind, lol. i shall submit recipe/pix by this weekend, i figure, as my Mom should be here then. that's if i get my ingredients. then i could give my guests dinner & that. extraneous vino, too.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I have actually been kicking around ideas of how to harness and use potato starch as a thickner since we don't have flour in this Pantry.
YUP YES YOU CAN!!
Whip it long enough and it seperates into buttermilk and butter. Theres may be a vid on youtube somewhere.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

yepper! easily. shake, or whip w/ a proper whisk, or kitchenaid or beaters or that; those fat globules & that whey seperate~ then, drain, & using a spoon, squiiiiiish that butter 4 awhile under a shivery stream of h2o. rinse 'til your h2o is clear. squish & squish. then take toweling 2 that new-found butter's exterior & then season via salt.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
yepper! easily. shake, or whip w/ a kitchenaid or beaters or that; those fat globules & that whey seperate~ then, drain, & using a spoon, squish that butter 4 awhile under a shivery stream of h2o. rinse 'til your h2o is clear. squish & squish. then take toweling 2 that new-found butter's exterior & then season via salt.

Wow, you guys are serious! I may actually have to try this. I've only got a Food Processor and a Blender......wonder if I can make them do the deed?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow, you guys are serious! I may actually have to try this. I've only got a Food Processor and a Blender......wonder if I can make them do the deed?
Then you can make pancakes or biscuits with your buttermilk and butter!! IF you had flour!! LOL :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love those Survival shows like Man Woman Wild, Mad Versus Wild, Dual Survival, and Survivor Man. They make things from scratch like fire, rope, cooking utensils, etc. I’m so looking at this Pantry that way. What have I got? Ok…..what can I turn it in to? Heavy Cream to Butter is simply AWESOME!! Figuring out how to use potato starch as a thickener would be cool as well. This is cool!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I love those Survival shows like Man Woman Wild, Mad Versus Wild, Dual Survival, and Survivor Man. They make things from scratch like fire, rope, cooking utensils, etc. I’m so looking at this Pantry that way. What have I got? Ok…..what can I turn it in to? Heavy Cream to Butter is simply AWESOME!! Figuring out how to use potato starch as a thickener would be cool as well. This is cool!
Off Topic: I was on Amazon before looking for large bottles of flaxseed oil and came across Hemp Oil!! And I just smoked it and put it in brownies!! I could have turned it into oil and fried some chicken in it!! :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Off Topic: I was on Amazon before looking for large bottles of flaxseed oil and came across Hemp Oil!! And I just smoked it and put it in brownies!! I could have turned it into oil and fried some chicken in it!! :lol:

DUDE! I wonder of cooking with that oil makes you crave pizza and Doritos????? :lol:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
DUDE! I wonder of cooking with that oil makes you crave pizza and Doritos????? :lol:
Dude I'm thinking it is a case of creating and curing the munchies in 1 fell swoop!! :shock::kiss: Warning this may cause weight gain and / or pregnancy!!

And my munchie cure was Cheez Doodles!

buckytom

Grill Master
aww, c'mon, that's a fallacy. i've never gotten pregnant from smoking and eating doritos.

awesome job on the franken-dish, keltin.

my first thought was a pork loin and mushroom stew over noodles, very close to what you made. the nori could have even been included, to add salt and umami.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Made mashed potatoes from the Franken-Pantry tonight.

I used a little trick my grandfather taught me. He told me that, when you don’t have milk or butter, use some of the water you cooked the potatoes in as your thinner when making the mashed potatoes.

So I strained the potatoes in a colander that was placed in a large mixing bowl so that I could catch the water and remove the potatoes cleanly.

I used 3 parts Heavy Cream (from the pantry) and 1 part of the reserved potato water to make these mashed potatoes. Added a little salt and pepper (the staples) and there they are.

Got to admit, these are incredible mashed taters. I’m impressed. Makes me want to rethink my typical way of making these now.

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 200

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
They look beautiful, Keltin. I plan to make our dinner from the pantry tomorrow, and that's how I'lll make the potatoes.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You know, I’m looking at that pic…..and that looks like plain ole mashed taters! :lol:

Difference is the taste.

To make these, I could only use the heavy cream and the potato water. Got to admit, these are smooth, flavorful, and really awesome. They look the same as my regular butter and milk taters, but this is really a different animal. I’m digging this Franken-Pantry idea. It makes you think outside the box so to speak.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
You know, I’m looking at that pic…..and that looks like plain ole mashed taters! :lol:

Difference is the taste.

To make these, I could only use the heavy cream and the potato water. Got to admit, these are smooth, flavorful, and really awesome. They look the same as my regular butter and milk taters, but this is really a different animal. I’m digging this Franken-Pantry idea. It makes you think outside the box so to speak.
Lately I have been adding buttermilk or sour cream to my mashies sometimes without the butter.