Crock Pot 20 clove Chicken

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The Warden mentioned the discrepancy right away (nag, nag, nag)

Ah, great minds! Tell her I said "Hi!".

LOL!

I've got my thighs browned, my 37 cloves of garlic peeled, my giant sweet onion sliced. Will turn the crock on low before I leave shortly. Will be gone for 6 hours or so. Can't wait to re-open my door then!

I'll post pictures.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
o-KAY!!!

Well, my brother and I were very pleasantly surprised that the skin, although nowhere near crispy, was not at all "ooky" or objectionable at all. It had cooked so long that it was tender and easy to bite, as well as tasty - we both ate it.

This was great, LT! Delicious!

Lee

40clovesgarlicand1onion.jpg

One large sweet onion and 37 cloves of garlic

chickengarliccrockpot.jpg

Ten thighs after 6 hours on low

chickengarliccrockpot2.jpg

EXCELLENT easy meal!

chowhound

I can eat skin like that. As long as it has some color. Great job!
I'll be making this now that it has passed the test cooks' kitchens ;^)

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I had mentioned this recipe to my friend Nancy; when she learned that I wasn't gonna get to it, she picked up the baton.......haven't discussed the experience with her yet, but I did find these in my mail this a.m.

GarlicChicken3.jpg

GarlicChicken1.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know about Mr. GJ and Nancy, but I browned mine first.

Lee

GrantsKat

Ok I want to make this, but I have a question......you dont add any liquid at all? It seems like it might burn.......anyone?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Ok I want to make this, but I have a question......you dont add any liquid at all? It seems like it might burn.......anyone?

Hi GrantsKat;
I just heard from Nancy........... she said she got a lot of liquid from the cooking process; "Now I know why they said don’t put any liquid in it".

GrantsKat

Thank you LT!! I just goggled and found that all the recipes said not to add any liquid......I will make it this week! yum:)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I browned the thighs in a little oil in a huge cast iron skillet on top of the stove.

No, I didn't add any of the oil to the crock. No liquid at all, and as you can see, it was SWIMMING at the end.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I'd intended to make this today, to actually start it this morning, but my plans got hijacked via a friend for dinner out and retail therapy later. ;)
Everyones chicken looks so good!!
Love it!

suziquzie

Ok one more ???.... are we tossing the chicken with the paprika and salt before we brown them or after?
:)
Thawing chicken right now :)

smoke king

Banned
I tossed mine in the seasoning and then browned it before xferring it to the crock pot. Also, I used chicken quarters because thats what I had on hand.

It was a huge success-no leftovers. I'll most certainly make it again-Thanks LT!

AllenOK

I usually make this in the oven. I don't think I've tried it in a crockpot.

I also puree all the garlic, then use the puree to flavor mashed potatoes.

AllenOK

Ok, I'm trying this one.

I seasoned my chicken with S&P, and some paprika. I seared them in some chicken fat in a CI skillet, then into the CP to cook. I poured about 1/4 c of hot chicken broth in that I had on hand. I sprinkled some thyme all over as I was adding the chicken into the CP. I'm going to go and julienne one or two shallots and throw those on top as well.

I need a bigger CP.

AllenOK

Well, I completely forgot to julienne the shallots and add them. I think I mentioned this, but I added about 1/2 c of chicken broth to help it along. 2 hours later the darn CP was almost full! I turned it down from High to Low.

Taste-wise, it was good. PeppA loved it! I strained the broth from the CP, degreased it, brought it back to a boil, added some of my concentrated chicken stock, tightened it into gravy, and seasoned with S&P.

Personally, while this is good, I prefer mine roasted in the oven. But, due to the ease of using the CP, I'll probably be making this again.