Beef or chicken korma

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I got this recipe years ago from a grocery that is now closed when they had the beef on sale. I've added in my notes on things I do differently.

You could use the same amount of chicken, I would use thighs, and not add the chicken until about 40 minutes into the cook time for the sauce.

1-1/2 pounds chuck blade roast, cut into 1-inch cubes (cut a little smaller or cook a little longer than 1 hour)
1/2 can lightly salted, roasted cashews
2 tablespoons whole milk
2 green chilies, chopped
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1/3 cups water, divided
2 cardamom seeds
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cinnamon stick
3 ounces yogurt
3 whole cloves
3 ounces heavy cream
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 lemon, juiced (didn't use that much, maybe a tblsp)
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 tablespoon butter
Salt, pepper to taste

Blend nuts, chilies, ginger and garlic into a course paste with 1/3 cup water (only use a little bit of water at first to make paste, then add rest - it will be needed as it cooks later); set aside. In a small saucepan, warm milk and soak saffron 10 minutes; set aside.

Combine cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander and cumin. Heat oil and butter in a skillet and fry spices 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat. Strain oil and spices through cheesecloth. Return oil to pan and tie spices in cheesecloth.

Fry onion in oil until golden. Add nut paste, yogurt and spice bag. Cook about 10 minutes. Add beef and 1 cup water. Simmer 1 hour; remove spice bag.

Just before serving, squeeze saffron strands through cheesecloth into the milk for optimum color. Add saffron milk, cream and cilantro to braised dish. Return to simmer. Finish with fresh lemon juice and serve with jasmine rice and naan.

Last edited: