Site Supporter
5 1/2 pounds Gala Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup of white sugar
1 cup of packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix everything together in a large bowl. Place in a large crock pot. Cover, cook on high 1 hour. Reduce to low, cook 9 to 10 hours. Remove lid, use a stick blender to puree or puree small amounts in a regular blender. Be careful since it is really HOT. Continue cooking in the slow cooker, uncovered another 2 hours or so until it reaches the desired consistency. Makes 2 to 3 pints.

**If you use other types of apples, you may need to adjust the amount of sugar.

Attachments

• apple-butter-0.jpg
    apple-butter-0.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 262

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful picture, Mama!

Wish I was right there, in that comforting scene!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Is mine bottle on the way by UPS? LOL Thanks for the recipe and the link in the Let's Talk ... thread.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Few things finer than homemade apple butter(Apple Napalm)!! IF you ever wanna try something a little different, add some red hot candies in there towards the end. Makes for a nice little zing.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Put a batch of apple butter in the crockpot last night before going to bed.....it smells soooooo good in here. Should be done in a couple of hours. I'm fixin' to start some cinnamon raisin swirl bread to go with it shortly.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Put a batch of apple butter in the crockpot last night before going to bed.....it smells soooooo good in here. Should be done in a couple of hours. I'm fixin' to start some cinnamon raisin swirl bread to go with it shortly.
OH YUM Mama!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds absolutely great.

Normally a fan of "Real Food" (No fake ingredients) I love this. Since I am currently on a mission to loose a LOT of weight (I have lost 33# so far) I was wondering what anyone might think of this.

Substitute 2 cups of Splenda for the sugar and add some black strap molasses to make up for the brown part of the brown sugar.

Alternatively, I can put it in the guilty pleasures list and have it on the days that I do things that I must attone for.

The recipe looks delish and I am sure that it will taste as good as it looks or better.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Ah yes! - 1 cup splenda and 1 Tbsp molasses for a brown sugar sub.

Wonder if it tastes OK? Hmmmmm..... Makes wondering sound.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Congratulations Andy!!!!!!!!!

I would think that Splenda would work fine. I know they say that Splenda measures the same as sugar but I personally think it is sweeter than sugar so maybe use a little less.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Splenda also has a brown sugar version. It is HALF real sugar. BUT molassses is sugar also so I would go with the splenda brown and see how it works out. Even though molasses is part of brown sugar straight molasses is strong stuff and it may change the flavor a lot.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Just finished processing the apple butter. 4 jars for the pantry and 1 to eat as soon as the cinnamon raisin swirl bread is done!

Attachments

• applebutter-09-27-2012.jpg
    applebutter-09-27-2012.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 232

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My understanding of sugar is that it is brown when raw, in the refining the molasses is stripped and then added back to make brown sugar. This makes the product consistent.

My diet is kind of kamikaze, I dropped 33# in 2 1/2 months. I am nearing a point where I will back off and go more slowly. I wonder what the comparison between a full cup of Splenda (White) and 1 Tbsp of molasses and the brown sugar Splenda is. (At this point, Andy makes a Hmmmmmm noise).

Anyway, the apple butter looks great. My Gramma used to make her own apple butter so this brings back a lot of warm fuzzy memories.

Now if I could only recreate her Ketchup.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's my understanding of how brown sugar is made too Andy. 1 tbsp. unsulphured molasses per cup of sugar.

If I remember correctly, I think someone here made there own ketchup one time....can't remember who it was though....

Ian M.

Few things finer than homemade apple butter(Apple Napalm)!! IF you ever wanna try something a little different, add some red hot candies in there towards the end. Makes for a nice little zing.

I do this whenever I make homemade applesauce in the crockpot and just cut back on the sugar per recipe, adding one container of the red hots. Makes for delicious applesauce and the color is lovely. I'll have to try it with apple butter, too. Thanks, Ralph, for the suggestion. Mama, your bread and apple butter look like a taste of heaven! Is my sample in the mail, yet?

Ian :heart:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
A good light honey makes a great substitute for sugar or Splenda. I have been using it all summer for my homemade iced tea and lots of other recipes. Waiting for our first hard frost to see how much honey we can take from our hives. Can't wait to taste it.