Tornado restaurant, Malden, MA

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A friend and I wanted to try out this new restaurant on a Monday night because the oysters on the halfshell are only $1 (a steal) and they have a special sake menu (we both like sake).

Well, it was a pleasant experience. Great service, interesting tapas menu. Babs LOVED the $1 oysters, which she said were huge and delicious and a steal at that price.

We tried a flight of two different sakes - each of us had one warm and one chilled. Both were very good, smooth. The flight was $12.

Babs had a half dozen raw oysters (Blue Point) with 3 sauces, and I had four fried oysters with one excellent sauce. My fried oysters were larger and chewier than I've had elsewhere - I would not get them again.

Then we shared two steamed buns with pork belly, and crunchy and pickled vegs. and hoisin sauce. My favorite dish. In fact, I'm now inspired to go get another pork belly and cook it myself.

Then we shared a plate of fish tacos - the taco shell was a fried, crispy wonton wrapper I think. Very good. But mine are better.

Had a couple of beers each. The bill, with tip, was $80 for the two of us. Pricey for the amount you get, but watching the labor-intensive presentations by the cooks, I can see why the prices are what they are.

We sat at the bar, and the bartender was excellent. It was neat to watch the cooks work almost in front of us, too.

Babs wants to go back another Monday night for the oysters, and I am interested in trying the $13 fois gras sometime.

A really nice time!

Lee

Tornado 1, 1-20-14.JPG

Tornado 2.JPG

Tornado 3 - flight of sake.JPG

Tornado 4 - $1 oysters.JPG

Tornado 5 - steamed buns with pork belly A.JPG

Tornado 5 -fried oysters.JPG

Tornado 6 - Steamed bun with  pork belly B.JPG

Tornado 7 -crispy fish tacos.JPG

Last edited:

LADawg

A dollar a pot for raw oysters?????:wow: I don't eat the them. Tried one once but could never keep it down.
During what some call Happy hour some place down here in Lower Alabama sell them for 25 cents a piece. Living on the Gulf of Mexico does have it's perks beside the sugar white sand beaches.