Bacon Cracker Appetizers

homecook

Ingredients:

1 package Club Crackers
1 pound Thin Sliced Bacon
Grated Parmesan Cheese

Preparation:

Lay crackers face up on a cookie sheet.
Top each cracker with about 1 tsp. Parmesan cheese.
Cut the bacon slices in half and carefully wrap each cheese covered cracker in one half piece of bacon, completely covering the cracker. It should cover all the cheese on the cracker.
Place the crackers onto a baking sheet that has a rack on it.
Place in a 250-degree oven for about 2 hours.

They can be made ahead of time and frozen. Take out to thaw and warm in the oven about 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 282
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 278

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brilliant, Barb!

I could eat, oh, maybe 20 of those!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bacon BAcon BACON!!!!! :thumb: :clap: Thanks Barb. Those sure look good.
They are now on my short list of things to try soon. :D

shelta

Have never tried these and will rectify that immediately! I'm pretty sure I've seen it posted before, I.E. Paula Dean, and forgot about it until now. thanks for the reminder.

shelta

I've now done these twice and thought I'd pass on my 'experiences', as the first try was something less than stellar!
Did it as per directions and didn't check it until the 2 hours elapsed, and the result was worthy of an archaeological dig! Yes, 'fossilized' was the word.
Yes, it's possible my oven is not as calibrated as I thought it was, so freely admit whatever bad happened, was my fault.
The second time around, using Club crackers BTW, I experimented with 3 different kinds of cheese, and then started checking progress at 45 minutes. What turns out as the optimum for 'my oven' is right around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
They taste delish, and I preferred the other two cheeses to the parmesan. They were shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've now done these twice and thought I'd pass on my 'experiences', as the first try was something less than stellar!
Did it as per directions and didn't check it until the 2 hours elapsed, and the result was worthy of an archaeological dig! Yes, 'fossilized' was the word.
Yes, it's possible my oven is not as calibrated as I thought it was, so freely admit whatever bad happened, was my fault.
The second time around, using Club crackers BTW, I experimented with 3 different kinds of cheese, and then started checking progress at 45 minutes. What turns out as the optimum for 'my oven' is right around 1 hour and 20 minutes.
They taste delish, and I preferred the other two cheeses to the parmesan. They were shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack.

Excellent post, Shelta - thanks for reporting back!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made these yesterday, and I used sliced Colby Jack cheese, after reading Shelta's post. And Townhouse crackers.

Mine took close to THREE hours in the oven at 250 degrees to get the bacon done. And my cheese oozed some.

The appetizers are delicious - I'm going to cut them in half to serve as bite-sized bits.

Next time, I think I'll go with homecook's parm cheese, since it doesn't melt as oozily, and maybe kick up the oven temp a bit.

Lee

Attachments

• Colby Jack cheese.JPG
    Colby Jack cheese.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 199
  • Bacon appetizer ingredients.JPG
    Bacon appetizer ingredients.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Bacon cracker appetizers.JPG
    Bacon cracker appetizers.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 202

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One other thing: I made them ahead of time, then refrigerated, and reheated in the microwave. They got hard and crunchy.

Next time, I will reheat in the oven, as homecook recommended.

Lee