Review - Dos Segundos Cantina, Philadelphia PA

PanchoHambre

Dos Segundos Cantina
931 N. 2nd St
Northern Liberties
Philadelphia PA

Dos Segundos Cantina is a newly opened Mexican joint on in the trendy Northern Liberties neighborhood.

I am always wary of trendy Mexican, especially up north, In a city that could use some good Mexican food this place does little to fill the void.

Recently opened Dos Segundos was packed on a springlike Friday night.

The menu is Mexican inspired but definitely oriented to the hip young urban crowd that is Northern Liberties primary market.

A large selection of Ceviches piqued my interest

They also offer a large selection of Vegan and Vegetarian options.

I started with a Mojito - Mistake number one. for $6 I got what amounted to a small glass of ice with some minty sugary water. The pour must have been very short because rum was almost undetectable.

This set the tone

Appetieser

I chose the shrimp and Avocacdo Ceviche. $10
The shrimp was fresh and the Avocado ripe but beyond that the dish was uninspiring. Little flavor or bite. I ended up dousing it in hot sauce.

For the entree:

I knew I shouldn't but I did order a Brisket Torta $12.

The Brisket torta tasted mainly of bread and butter. The little bit of brisket that was in there was tender with a crispy crust (nice) but had little flavor and there just was not enough of it. For the price I would like a bit more meat on my sandwich.

The torta was accompanied by sweet potato fries that were not as crispy as they could be.

Overall the menu is interesting but the food is sort of bland and a tocuh overpriced. I have had better meatier Torta's from food trucks for half the price.

The Service was medicore and the atmoshphere was nice but not enough to make up for the rest.

My meal was not bad but it was also not especially good

C+

The one upside is the menu runs the gamut from Vegan to Chorizo so it would be a decent choice for "mixed company"