Homemade Cracker Jacks (Caramel Coated Popcorn & Peanuts)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a blast from the past and a real treat for everyone - caramel coated popcorn and peanuts! All that is missing is the prize inside!!

Note: If you try this one, use the largest mixing bowl you can find! Also, you may want to use regular popcorn (no butter flavor), but I use Lightly Buttered, and it tastes just fine to me. In fact, I like the extra flavor of the butter on the popcorn.

Homemade Cracker Jacks (Caramel Coated Popcorn & Peanuts)

Ingredients

1 bag Microwaveable Popcorn (or 6 cups cooked popcorn)
1-1/2 cup Dry Roasted & Salted Peanuts
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 stick Butter (8 Tbsp)
1/4 cup Kayro Syrup (white corn syrup)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Procedure

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.

Pop the popcorn, empty into a large mixing bowl, and set aside.

Note: Make sure to get rid of any un-popped kernels. It’s easiest to pour the popcorn in one bowl, then transfer it by hand to another bowl so that the un-popped kernels stay in the bottom of the first bowl.

Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and then add the brown sugar and Kayro Syrup. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for 2 minutes to form a thick and bubbly syrup. The syrup will be dark brown like the color of melted caramel.

Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract and stir well.

BE CAREFUL! When you add the vanilla, the hot syrup will sizzle and hiss, so be careful and keep your hands clear.

Pour half the syrup over the popcorn, then add the peanuts. Now pour the rest of the syrup over the popcorn and nuts. Using two large wooden spoons (or equivalent) mix well to coat all the popcorn and peanuts. Basically, you will be tossing this mixture in the same manner as tossing a large salad. Don’t worry about breaking or crunching a few pieces of the popcorn! The popcorn will hold up to the tossing, so just make sure to get every piece coated well, and it will work out and taste fine!

Once it has been mixed well, turn out onto the wax paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake in the 250 degree oven for 30 minutes, then remove and allow to air cool completely. The baking process sets the syrup and makes the popcorn dry, light, and crunchy instead of being a wet & syrup laden glop. This finishing touch is what truly makes it Cracker Jacks!

Once completely cool, eat what you like and store the rest in air-tight containers.

Notes

Instead of using wax paper, you may just want to use a plain cooking sheet that you have sprayed with PAM. This stuff is STICKY, and will stick to the wax paper a bit. However, if you use wax paper, you can pick the whole sheet up and bend and fold it to break the popcorn free. You may not get every single piece off the wax paper without tearing it, but you’ll get more than 95% of your batch clear and free.

Start with your popcorn and pop it.

Step_1-94.jpg

Step_2-92.jpg

Make your syrup and pour it over the popcorn and peanuts.

Step_3-85.jpg

Spread out evenly on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 for 30 minutes.

Step_4-78.jpg

Serve it up!

Step_5-70.jpg

Step_6-61.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:D
Love it!!
Awesome pics too Keltin.

Thank you!

I have to admit, this was one of my hardest recipes yet.

I finally had to tell DW to take that bowl of popcorn away and hide it in the back room or there’d be nothing to cook with!!! :yum:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I love, love, love Cracker Jacks, Keltin! Thank you for this detailed recipe because I'll be making it soon.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love, love, love Cracker Jacks, Keltin! Thank you for this detailed recipe because I'll be making it soon.

I hope you try it! The flavor is outstanding and SOOOOO reminiscent of the real thing. I so love this recipe! :thumb:

After baking it, let it cool, then break up any large clumps. It FEELS like Cracker Jacks when you handle it (after baking and cooling).....it TASTES like Cracker Jacks......it's really a trip! I hope you like it!