I need an ultimate "finger food" recipe

phreak

My family's doing a "finger food" Christmas meal. Everyone brings a finger food to pass. These type things usually turn into kind of a contest to see who can out do the others. I won't be in my kitchen to prepare my "entry" so I need to keep it simple. I was thinking ABT's if I can rig up a smoker with whatever my father has laying around in his shed, but that might not work out. So does anyone have an ultimate finger food recipe???

High Cheese

Saucier
Bacon wrapped shrimp with sage and Jack Daniels mustard dipping sauce. Put a sage leaf where the vein was, wrap with bacon, use a toothpick to secure, sautee and plate. Pile on a serving tray with the sauce in the middle.

You can prep them hours ahead of time then just cook them off in a pan, or grill them I guess too.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
OLIVE BALLS

These are not only delicious, but - when assembled – present themselves in the full regalia of Christmas, with their combination of reds, greens and whites. This is a simple recipe, which blends cream cheese with seasoned salt and some of the juice from a jar of olives. Then – when chilled and firm – it’s used to coat the outside of a whole olive, and topped off with a crushed pecan coating. When these are cut in half and placed on a serving tray - with the cut side face-up – they make a beautiful holiday presentation. The only real time involved in making them is waiting for the coating mixture to chill before applying it to the olives. The creation of the mixture and the final preparation after it’s been chilled is quick and easy, and offers a delightful taste, as well as a unique aesthetic effect to the buffet table.

http://www.essortment.com/food/christmasgather_sdfm.htm

http://www.finger-food-recipes.com/christmas-party-recipes.html

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are a few I've done with out any being left, so I assumed they like it.

Cheese Steak Egg Rolls with Ranch Pepper Rings - most work but really good
Jalapeno Poppers
Fried Ravioli
Stuffed Mushrooms, cucumbers, celery or Deviled eggs all of which can be stuffed with various things from protiens to vegan foods.
Anti Pasta with good cheeses, breads, cold cuts and various olives/vegetables.

Deelady

The first thing that poped in my head was a Martha Stewart recipe that is Grilled or Broiled Salmon topped on Ginger Jalepeno Rice "cakes" ......they are the best hors d'oeurvres I have ever had/made but they are a bit time consuming, but great cause you can serve it at room temp.

homecook

Here's a few I've made with great success.

Seafood stuffed mushrooms
Tex-Mex shrimp cocktail
Red potato bites

They're all posted here......

chowhound

Just to say, ABTs do reheat very well. I see no reason these can't be prepared before you get there. Then you can enjoy the party more instead of spending your time cooking.

phreak

Just to say, ABTs do reheat very well. I see no reason these can't be prepared before you get there. Then you can enjoy the party more instead of spending your time cooking.

It's going to take me 2 days to get there. But I'll be there for a week so I can make them the day before...

All good ideas I've heard so far.

Smoked salmon or crab & cream cheese lollipops.
http://www.eatertainment.com/lifestyle/recipes/recipe.aspx?RecipeID=330

Make them as you would tiny cheese balls, chill, & insert lollipop sticks or party picks. Serve upside down in a puddle of seafood sauce on individual crackers.

Pizzettas - Here's one I like with shrimp & tomato:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/seafood/shrimp-and-tomato-pizzettas/

Avocado Chimichurri Bruschetta
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10720?section=144

If any of these grab you, I'll share the recipe or link.

Smoked salmon terrine
Greek Cigars - sort of like spanakopita, but rolled up in filo.
Lemon garlic shrimp cocktail - serve in disposable martini glasses from a party store.
Avocado slices wrapped in prosciutto

An antipasto platter is another way to go. Will look through my recipes for more ideas.

What's an ABT?

Last edited:

chowhound

It's a jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon then smoked.

I put cheddar filled Lil Smokies in mine, too.
mmmm

These jalapeno shrooms L2Q first posted here are pretty good, too, phreak.

Attachments

• smoked shroom1.jpg
    smoked shroom1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 302

chowhound

I've made ABTs with shrimp in them in place of the lil smokie. IMO, the shrimp was lost between the smoking, the jalapeno and the bacon. I'm sure you could stuff those shrooms with crabmeat or other seafood, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for. Unless you use fake crabmeat, lol.

chowhound

Here ya go, Cali. I knew I had a pic of some cooked ABTs around here somewhere.
Those are the shrooms in the back with the toothpicks.

Attachments

• abt6.jpg
    abt6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 484

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've made ABTs with shrimp in them in place of the lil smokie. IMO, the shrimp was lost between the smoking, the jalapeno and the bacon. I'm sure you could stuff those shrooms with crabmeat or other seafood, but I don't think you will get the results you are looking for. Unless you use fake crabmeat, lol.

Shrimp in my opinion would get lost in many dishes, hell some vegetables served with shrimp makes the shrimp taste bland or forgettable.

phreak

I've used a cream cheese based "seafood spread" in ABT's that was pretty good.

Just found out pops has no smoker, and his gas grill is on it's last leg...I'm going to ask for a DNA sample when I'm there to make sure he's really my dad.

Lefty

Yank
Beer batter chicken fingers (for the kids)

submarine sandwiches sliced in 1.5 inch lengths

cocktalis weinies

Chili nachos

cheese and crackers

Mr. Green Jeans

My mom used to make these and I have no idea what they are called except damned tasty!
2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo.
1/2 15 oz can of black olives <small>
2 pkg English muffins

Pre-heat oven to 400. Combine cheese and mayo. Place drained olives in a food processor and buzz until finely chopped. Mix in with cheese.

Split muffins and spread cheese mixture on each half. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until topping is bubbly. Slice into 1/4's and serve.

Pre-heat oven to 400