Greens and Beans

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is so easy, and so good!

I used 1 large head of escarole, and I thought it was a tad bitter. Next time, I think I'll try another green, maybe mustard greens.

I served this with some Italian turkey sausages. A keeper!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/82078/escarole-and-beans/

Lee

Escarole (or some sort of greens) and Beans

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided

· 2 large heads escarole (I used one large head)
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 clove garlic, minced
· 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, undrained (I had on-hand 1 can of cannellini and one can of Great Northern beans)
· 3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
· Add all ingredients to list

Directions

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in escarole, turning to coat with oil. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, or until tender.

In a separate skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic. Pour in beans with juices, and simmer until creamy, about 10 minutes (I suggest 5 minutes only, since too much liquid evaporated after 10 minutes).
IMG_4043.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

I've not seen escarole here - we used to sell a lot of it when I worked produce in the Red Owl in high school.

This looks good to me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks good Lee. You should make a new thread and name it Red Swiss chard and cannelini beans or Greens and Beans.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good Lee. You should make a new thread and name it Red Swiss chard and cannelini beans or Greens and Beans.

That crossed my mind, Peep, but it's the exact same recipe except for the chard. Maybe I can change the title and edit the recipe and still have it make sense.

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I love Escarole and beans. I love bitter greens (escarole, broccoli rabe, rocket) especially (when cooked) served with plain mashed potatoes and in salads raw.