Electric Deep Fryer - Who owns One?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Who owns one of these?

I've been looking at one and found THIS Waring Pro mini one below at Chefscatalog for $40.00 off the regular price of about $100.

It holds 2 quarts of oil and is slightly smaller than the regular size Waring. Figured that I don't need a larger one since it's only me.

Seriously thinking about getting one, but I have to get it soon to get the discount.

What do you like and or don't like about yours? :idea:

Attachments

• Waring Pro Mini Deep Fryer..jpg
    Waring Pro Mini Deep Fryer..jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 184

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a Presto Dual ProFry deep fryer which is about twice the size but then we use it often. Waring makes great stuff really, I have the Waring Pro food slicer and love it including the easy cleaning features on all the products they make.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i have a small fry baby (?) years ago when they first came out, rarely used it because it was to small.

i also have an electric steamer/deep fryer that has an adjustable temp dial and can be used as a slow cooker also. i use it for pot roast and fried chicken.

chowhound

I have the Waring Pro. I like it, but it's really messy to clean. The top rim of the base is a real grease/gunk catcher. It comes up to temp quickly and recovers very well, but you can't hear the dinger go off, so you better pay attention to your minutes. If I had to do it all over again, I would look to see if they still make those TFal all contained units. The ones where the lid came down and sealed. I had one that I used years ago and it was much cleaner, plus filtered the grease smoke much better.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I had the Europro for years, but I finally killed it a few weeks ago.

It held the temp real well, and most of the parts went into the dishwasher. But it started acting up and finally died while I had company over for dinner.

I need a new one, but am undecided what to get.

Attachments

• 41WthB7f%2BeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    41WthB7f%2BeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 246

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have the Waring Pro. I like it, but it's really messy to clean. The top rim of the base is a real grease/gunk catcher. It comes up to temp quickly and recovers very well, but you can't hear the dinger go off, so you better pay attention to your minutes. If I had to do it all over again, I would look to see if they still make those TFal all contained units. The ones where the lid came down and sealed. I had one that I used years ago and it was much cleaner, plus filtered the grease smoke much better.

I'm surprised to hear that Chow as their slicer is pro quality with real easy cleaning as are most of their other things. I've never really looked at their deep fryer though to be honest as it was a bit rich for me. The one I did get also comes in a single though mine is a double it is about $50. Mine has worked flawlessly now for 5 years of at least once a week use.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have one of those $40, black-plastic Rival ones. It's OK, but I'm lusting after all the professional style ones y'all posted here.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I just looked - mine is the Presto Cool Daddy. It's OK, but it takes a long time to heat. Do the pro style ones take a long time to heat, too?

Attachments

• cool daddy.jpg
    cool daddy.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 166

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine heat pretty quickly though it is heating almost 2 gallons of oil so that would have some effect I'm sure. I simply plug it in set the temp and it is ready to go in about 10 minutes. It also doesn't lose a lot of heat due to the size. It comes with 2 baskets with a larger single basket available for about $11. I have all 3 baskets though the smaller ones might be faster in their Pro line I don't know.

Attachments

• Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 166

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Joe. That seems faster than mine as far as heating time. (Although I can't complain too much - I was given mine so it didn't me cost anything.)

chowhound

I'm surprised to hear that Chow as their slicer is pro quality with real easy cleaning as are most of their other things. I've never really looked at their deep fryer though to be honest as it was a bit rich for me. The one I did get also comes in a single though mine is a double it is about $50. Mine has worked flawlessly now for 5 years of at least once a week use.

There are certain aspects that are really good and certain aspects that aren't so good, like the way the lid and oil reservoir nest into the top of the base. Everything seems to catch there. Of course, if I broke it down after each use and strained the oil into a container like they recommend, then cleaning it would not be such a problem, but who wants to mess with greasy appliance parts or chance getting cleaning liquid in their oil? I break it down about every couple months, soak everything down with Greased lightening and throw most everything in the DW, but that only works so well. The grease is like gum where it has built up.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have the same Europro that SS has

attachment.php

It' still going strong. I love it. Alton Brown had it on his TV show one time, that's why I bought it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There are certain aspects that are really good and certain aspects that aren't so good, like the way the lid and oil reservoir nest into the top of the base. Everything seems to catch there. Of course, if I broke it down after each use and strained the oil into a container like they recommend, then cleaning it would not be such a problem, but who wants to mess with greasy appliance parts or chance getting cleaning liquid in their oil? I break it down about every couple months, soak everything down with Greased lightening and throw most everything in the DW, but that only works so well. The grease is like gum where it has built up.

I actually clean mine after every use, filter the oil and save it back for later use. I don't have a place to store it filled with oil as I have cats who will check out everything if left unattended. Hell one turns on the water in the kitchen sink to drink and won't touch water in a bowl. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Cats... that's funny, Joe.

You think that is funny you ought to me my piss inspector, she even takes a daily shower with me. Now I'm not joking she gets in the shower under the running water and loves it. Strange animal is all can say never mind she stands on the back of the toilet and watches ever thing I do. It is a good thing I don't have a shy bladder. :shock:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
You think that is funny you ought to me my piss inspector, she even takes a daily shower with me. Now I'm not joking she gets in the shower under the running water and loves it. Strange animal is all can say never mind she stands on the back of the toilet and watches ever thing I do. It is a good thing I don't have a shy bladder. :shock:
i had a cat that came in the shower with me also. he got a bit of a shock when i had the tub plugged for a bath but after the first splash he was loving it!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
A tub bath and this cat thinks it is time to swim. Never hesitated about a tub full of water though the shower was a bit scary to her in the beginning she soon got to loving it. She is show in the picture below the day she showed up at my door about half her weight, de-clawed and fixed in the middle of a thunderstorm. She attached herself to me from that moment on so we named her Shadow which is what she is my shadow. She isn't but a few months older than my two other cats so my vet thinks she is about 3 years old. She dominates the two boys as well as the dog now and has taken completely over. Hard to tell from this picture how big she is but she is huge now.

Attachments

• MsKitty.jpg
    MsKitty.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 162

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have a Presto Dual ProFry deep fryer which is about twice the size but then we use it often. Waring makes great stuff really, I have the Waring Pro food slicer and love it including the easy cleaning features on all the products they make.

Funny you should say that, JoeC. I have the Waring Pro Meat Grinder, and I LOVE it!! I'm thrilled at being able to grind my own meat for burgers, meat loaf and meatballs! The pic of the deep fryer that I posted above looks like a no-frills unit without all those complicating "bells & whistles, which I like!

I'd LOVE to have the one Emeril has that's built into the countertop on his show Emeril Live as well as the portable countertop unit that he uses with his name on it, but that isn't going to happen. :applause:

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Funny you should say that, JoeC. I have the Waring Pro Meat Grinder, and I LOVE it!! I'm thrilled at being able to grind my own meat for burgers, meat loaf and meatballs! The pic of the deep fryer that I posted above looks like a no-frills unit without all those complicating "bells & whistles, which I like! :applause:

I use my Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment though I would love to get the Waring Pro meat grinder. As I said I have the slicer and love it. The Presto Pro I have also sells a smaller one like the Waring for less which I got at WalMart years ago. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5969528

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hey, no fair, that one is even cheaper than the one that I'm about to get!

Looks like they have quite a selection there though. :applause:

K

Kimchee

I keep saying I am going to get a deep fryer.... I will study the ones mentioned here and maybe put one on my Wish List for next month!

Tonight, the old TNT cast iron skillet will have to do, sighhhhh

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hey, Kimchee! Welcome to the forum!

I see you must have seen and click on the link over at CFN.

But for now, in the case of your cast iron skillet, any port in the storm will do.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I had one for about 10 years till it finally gave way. I loved it. Eventually, though, it tends to get gunky, regardless how often you clean it. I think 10 years is a pretty good run. Go for it. Plan to have a shelf space to store it though. You can leave the oil in it for a while between uses.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, I might do that.

But it will have to be strained also. Dawn Power Dissolver will take care of any sticky or baked-on gunk and oil, making it look like new again. Got plenty of it!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes that Dawn (not my wife) is the best cleaner I've ever seen for greasy stuff. Have even used it to remove an oil spot on my water stones (sharpening stones) which would normally just be thrown away after any oil gets on them. It saved the stone and completely removed the oil.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When I first got it in '03, I went on a cleaning spree and cleanup up the old baking and roasting pan with it.

It made them look like new again! All that baked-on gunk just lifted right off.