Water Filtration?

Didn't know where to post this. Perhaps a topic of discussion for kitchen appliances/gadgets/tools might be an idea.

Looking for recommendations for an inexpensive water filtration system. The tap water here tastes terrible. When I fill a glass of water from the tap, it takes awhile for the cloudiness to clear/settle. I don't know if this is due to the old plumbing in the bldg, the water being shut down repeatedly (& comes back on w/ full force & grey water), or if it's my neck of the woods.

I bought a Brita pitcher that came w/ one filter. The problem is, the filter lasts about two months. Since I drink alot of water, I can see where replacement filters could run into $ in no time. I am also concerned about rinsing my fruits & veggies.

I have seen a Brita tap attachment, but think they may need filter replacements every few months as well.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced water filtration system that doesn't require a plumber?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
there's two aspects to the filtration thing.

first - strictly a mechanical sieve - traps "particles" - from big to really really small, depending on the "micron rating" of the filter. "cloudy" indicates very fine particulate matter in your water supply - which means fine filter needed or just let is stand and it may clear. if the particulates are so fine as to be "colloidal" they will not settle out - a more active approach needed.

second - the "at home" chemical purification system. check yer' labels - all them there fancy filters contain . . . drum roll please . . . activated charcoal.

see you local tropical fish dealer or web supplier for activated charcoal.

the trickier part is how to integrate "the filter" into your plumbing system.

cheap short cut - cut open the Britta filter, toss the black stuff - replace with fresh activated charcoal. replace the paper Britta stuff with coffee filter material. observe the particle size of the original charcoal - depending on your local/web sources, you may need to crush up the activated charcoal a bit.

there's two aspects to the filtration thing.

first - strictly a mechanical sieve - traps "particles" - from big to really really small, depending on the "micron rating" of the filter. "cloudy" indicates very fine particulate matter in your water supply - which means fine filter needed or just let is stand and it may clear. if the particulates are so fine as to be "colloidal" they will not settle out - a more active approach needed.

second - the "at home" chemical purification system. check yer' labels - all them there fancy filters contain . . . drum roll please . . . activated charcoal.

see you local tropical fish dealer or web supplier for activated charcoal.

the trickier part is how to integrate "the filter" into your plumbing system.

cheap short cut - cut open the Britta filter, toss the black stuff - replace with fresh activated charcoal. replace the paper Britta stuff with coffee filter material. observe the particle size of the original charcoal - depending on your local/web sources, you may need to crush up the activated charcoal a bit.

Clever idea, Chowderman. In about a month, I'll see if I can take the filter apart.

phreak

We have a Pur water filter on our kitchen faucet because it's a pain to fill larger pots from our refrigerator. We buy the filters by the case online to save money.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We also have a Pur system on kitchen faucet. We still buy bottled water and keep in the office for customers but we never drink it.