Tomato Press

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I have a food mill... is that the same thing? I guess I have never heard of a tomato press.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Hey Shepherd, I have a food mill that I have used to make tomato sauces and other things. Is there a specific reason you are seeking a tomato press?

I will say it takes a little more elbow grease to work a food mill, but I have been happy with the results.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
do food mills seprate out the unwanted skin and seeds?

yes they do..they have a screen of sorts on them

tinned_steel_food_mill.jpg

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The one that I pointed out has three interchangeable screens. I use it without a problem when I make concord grape jam. I have also used it to make tomato jam. So, I think it would be ok. Why not go to bed bath and beyond and take a look at it? It is stainless steel and kind of heavy.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Welll... the skins YES. The seeds, I guess it would depend on the mesh you use. When making tomato sauces, I usually try to use romano tomatos that have very little seeds. Plus I gut them of any visible seeds. When making a tomato sauce, I would simple roast the tomato quaters with evoo, garlic, pepper, basil, and a bit of salt, then let cool and run through the food mill. Such a sweet and flavorful sauce.

I guess my question would be: Can you use this thing for any other application than tomatos. Like Susan said, it could be classified as a unitasker. And if you are not going to be in the business of making tomato sauce, then I could see where this may not get as much use as a food mill. But that being said, I can't boast that I have used my food mill for anything more than making tomato sauce.... so there you go! But at least if I find something else to use my food mill for, I know it will be there for me.

HTH... I'm a rookie!

S.Shepherd

wow, ok..there's suckers look like a PITA to clean. Are they?

gimme an idea of what I can do with a food mill. With that press, I can do fruits and other stuff also.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Mine is very easy to put together and clean. I make fruit preserves, I make mashed potatoes and gnocci. It will allow you to mash sweet potatoes and yams for pies by getting rid of the strings. It can puree soups. People use it to make baby food.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
It sounds like your press may be a viable option, but I do believe a food mill will offer the same uses. As for cleaning.. not sure it would be any more a PITA than cleaing that mater press. I tend to hand wash things like that and I don't recall it being that bad.

But as I stated, I'm not an expert by any means. Just sharing with you my experience with a food mill. Sounds like (to me) that you would get your money's worth out of the mater press.

Calicolady

When we were kids we used to love watching dad grind the tomatoes for sauce for his grandma like the one linked, but it was a huge, heavy metal job, attached to the side of the table.
I didn't keep that when I could have.
But I did keep a bigger version of this, and haven't used it in years.

S.Shepherd

When we were kids we used to love watching dad grind the tomatoes for sauce for his grandma like the one linked, but it was a huge, heavy metal job, attached to the side of the table.
I didn't keep that when I could have.
But I did keep a bigger version of this, and haven't used it in years.

that looks like a chinoise:chef:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Cal, there are different sizes of chinoise and your dad found a perfectly logical way of using his.