Onion and Sour Cream Pie (Massachusetts)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Onion and Sour Cream Pie, Massachusetts

(Adapted from the NYTimes New England Cookbook)

This is VERY similar to Mama’s Vidalia Onion Pie http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3981

but uses bacon and bacon drippings instead of butter. A few other differences.

I made this recipe as written, but I like Mama’s idea of hot sauce, so I served the pie with some Frank’s at the table. I’m sure the parm. Cheese would be excellent, too!

Served with some EXCELLENT chicken, spinach and feta sausages.

Lee

Onion and Sour Cream Pie

5 slices bacon
3 cups thinly sliced onion (I used Vidalias)
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup dry white wine or sherry
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1/8 teas grated nutmet
1 T fresh dill, minced
1 unbaked 8 or 9 inch pie crust

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, drain, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 4 T bacon drippings.

Saute onions in bacon fat until golden brown (this takes at least a half hour, since the onions exude a lot of water).

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine sour cream, sherry, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and dill. Add in the onions and bacon.

Bake the pie shell for 10 minutes or until golden. Reduce oven temp to 350. Pour in the filling and bake for 30 minutes, or until set.

Yield: Eight servings

Attachments

• Raw onions.JPG
    Raw onions.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 103
  • Sauteed onions.JPG
    Sauteed onions.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Onion Pie, MA..JPG
    Onion Pie, MA..JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Onion Pie and sausages.JPG
    Onion Pie and sausages.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 99

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That looks SO good! Thanks for the great pictures. I cannot get any kind of sweet onion here, but our plain white onions aren't too bad - do you think I could make that? Maybe caramelizing the onions sweetens them...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone!

Mama, you know how the first piece of a pie is messy to get out? That was the first slice! LOL!

Karen, this is an old recipe, before Vidalias and other sweet onions were popular. I'm sure yellow onions were used originally, and that they are delicious in this dish.

Lee

Deelady

Looks great Lee!!! I wonder how different it would be if you slow cooked the onions on the BBQ first.....mmmmmm