Chicken Slow Cooker Question

PanchoHambre

Ok Here's the deal

I have several pounds of frozen chicken

I took it out of the freezer tonight and put in in the meat drawer to defrost

I would like to have it for dinner tomorrow night

I was thinking of plunking it in the slow cooker tomorrow morning with some stock and leaving it on low

If I follow this course what will I come home to 9 hours later

Dinner or Disaster

I was going to shred it and serve with mole (jar) sauce in Tortillas

I am afraid if just leave it in the fridge it will still be frozen solid and my dinner will be VERY late.

I need to learn how to use the slow cooker because sometimes I do not want to "cook" when I get home from work and I still want a decent meal.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It'll be great, Pancho! Since you want to shred it anyway, I'm sure 9 hours on low will be just fine.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't eat chicken so on the cooking I can't help you other than to say slow cookers tend to cook slow (really) so 6 to 8 hours should be about right. Mine after it goes off will simply keep it warm for another 5 hours if needed.

Constance

Do not put frozen or partially frozen meats in the slow cooker, as the meat could stand at dangerous temperatures before it actually starts cooking.

PanchoHambre

Do not put frozen or partially frozen meats in the slow cooker, as the meat could stand at dangerous temperatures before it actually starts cooking.

good thought... my slow cooker is seeming more and more of a PITA

thanks for the tip I will try another way or put the chicken off to the next day when it will be surely defrosted. I am pretty sure it will still be frozen by morning.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
good thought... my slow cooker is seeming more and more of a PITA

thanks for the tip I will try another way or put the chicken off to the next day when it will be surely defrosted. I am pretty sure it will still be frozen by morning.

In a slow cooker, after 6 to 9 hours, the temp will come up to 160 or WAY more. Actually, that long a cook will bring it to nearly 200 where the chicken begins to get dry. Oddly enough, yes, chicken gets dry if cooked in liquid too long.

But the point being, get the whole mess above 160, and all pathogens will have been killed.

The only thing you can’t kill with heat is Mad Cow as that is a protein folding disorder, and heat does NOT destroy it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
defrost in the microwave for a few minutes... but i believe 9 hours would be a tad too long for chicken just my opinion

Mommy

Ok Here's the deal

I have several pounds of frozen chicken

I took it out of the freezer tonight and put in in the meat drawer to defrost

I would like to have it for dinner tomorrow night

I was thinking of plunking it in the slow cooker tomorrow morning with some stock and leaving it on low

If I follow this course what will I come home to 9 hours later

Dinner or Disaster

I was going to shred it and serve with mole (jar) sauce in Tortillas

I am afraid if just leave it in the fridge it will still be frozen solid and my dinner will be VERY late.

I need to learn how to use the slow cooker because sometimes I do not want to "cook" when I get home from work and I still want a decent meal.
myexperience in chicken with crock pot isn't much.
my husband isn't very found of chicken or meat in the crock pot
a friend brougt me chicken in a sauce once years ago from the crock pot and we all liked it very much. it was breasts though, we expected it to be dry itw as very nice