DO Pot Roast/Brisket

Fe Stomach

We purchased a large brisket, so large that we cut two 'roast' off of the end and prepared the triangle as a classic brisket. Here is what I did to one of the 2.5 lb Brisket/Roast.

2.5 lb Brisket
6 small potatoes, large cut
3 carrots, diagonal large cut
1/2 large onion, large cut
1/4 cup onions diced
1/2 tsp garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
Salt to taste
3/4 cup tepid water
1 Tblsp Olive oil
1/4 bell pepper, strip cut
1/4 cup mushroom slices
1 slice of bacon, diced

Preheat 12" DO with bacon and diced onions in the bottom.
Pat dry the brisket and rub in salt, pepper and garlic.
While the bacon is sizzling, roll the brisket around, doing a good job of browning all sides, leaving the brisket fat side up on a layer of bacon and onions.
Cook for two hours at 325, add the olive oil beside the brisket checking at about and hour.
I had mistakenly used a trivet, when I did my first check I removed it because
I could see the brisket was drying out too fast.

After the second hour, spread the carrots, potatoes and large cut onions over and around the brisket. Pour the TEPID water over the whole mess...Don't use cold water!!

Cook for another hour then place the bell pepper and mushrooms over the brisket and cook for another 15 minutes or so.

Remove from the oven and serve.

Critque:
I had envisioned that this would come out like a roast, ie. break apart with a fork. While it didn't do that it made a very good tasting meal.
The brisket came out somewhat dry, I like it that way, but perhaps it should have been braised with a little more water.
The veggies came out tasting super fine EXCEPT, the large cut onions had a 'slimey' texture:huh: I don't know why. The flavor was good but the texture was a turn off.

Scotty

All of a sudden I can't upload pics, It gives me a message that I'm missing a security token.....
I think I musta' left it in a hotel in Cartehenga, Columbia!!! :yum::yum::yum:

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds good.

I've seen the missing security tokens errors. I think restarting your browser or try with another brand of browser should get you past that.

Fe Stomach

Hey Doc:
I've tried yesterday, and of course after a re-start, today...no luck.
Different Brand of Browser?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
sometimes when things go bump in the night, deleting your cookies can help.

now - some care required as some cookies store login information - so be sure you have all your login names/passwords handy.

I've also seen reports specific to vBulletin software (used here) that (attempts) to upload extremely large files can trigger this error.

I think I've used 1500 width pixels here without issue - if you've got a gigzillion pixel camera you may need to "downsize" the pix for uploading.

IrfanView is a really good freebie for that.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, by brand I mean firefox instead of IE ....or Chrome etc.

Chowderman is right on ...if the file is to big you can get some weird errors. You might try resizing the file. I find 800x800 to work great for forums in general.
Irfanview is awesome for resizing pics. :thumb:

Fe Stomach

well, I haven't had trouble before and I don't thnik I changed anything.
At first I tried downloading all pics, maybe I'll try a few at a time, maybe a damaged file?

Attachments

• CIMG1245.jpg
    CIMG1245.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • CIMG1244.jpg
    CIMG1244.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 944

Fe Stomach

Here are the last of the pics...

It appears to be a time related issue, something starts running in the background just about the time I'm on the third pic... causing an interruption,

When I shutdown and restart, I get to about the same place in time and it
staggers and slows down, then I get the token message.

Think I'll find some spyware software and find out whats going on.

Anyone got a good suggestion for a spyware program, that dosen't cost as much as a new computer?

Thx Scotty

Attachments

• CIMG1241.jpg
    CIMG1241.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,051
  • CIMG1240.jpg
    CIMG1240.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,006

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Scotty,

Brisket is tricky, almost no matter which way you cook it. I would have expected it to be moist and fall-apart, after braising such a small piece for 3 + hours at 325.

I agree, you probably needed more braising liquid.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a brisket all that time, it's going to be a BIG sucker, and I'll have a lot of leftovers. It's one of my very favorites!

Nice job and great pics, too! Thanks!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

Fe Stomach

Scotty,

Brisket is tricky, almost no matter which way you cook it. I would have expected it to be moist and fall-apart, after braising such a small piece for 3 + hours at 325.

I agree, you probably needed more braising liquid.

If I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a brisket all that time, it's going to be a BIG sucker, and I'll have a lot of leftovers. It's one of my very favorites!

Nice job and great pics, too! Thanks!

Lee

Yep, it was alot of time and babysitting for that little guy. War Dept. and I only got two meals out of it. And I think it was a waste of brisket, next time I do a 'pot' roast, I'm gonna use a pot 'roast'. Flavor was good tho.

Got the addy's for the spy bots, and will begin trying to chase down the prob...thx all

Scotty