I Don't Care Much for Slow Cookers!

FryBoy

There. I said it. Someone tell my wife.

My wife Sue insisted on buying one recently, even though we had one years ago and dumped it because we didn't much care for the results. However, my daughter likes hers because she works unpredictable hours (she's a lawyer) and needs to plan good dinners for her kids. So Sue decided she wanted one, too (she can cook "regular" but doesn't much like to cook.)

We got a good one, a Hamilton Beech with 2-, 4-, and 6-quart inserts. And we found some highly rated slow cooker cookbooks, the best of which is the "Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook." We've made several things in it, including chicken dishes, beef dishes, pork dishes, soups, steps, and casseroles (a.k.a. gloop). Tonight it's leftover chicken gloop, a monolithic pile of barely palatable protein and carbs despite my efforts to gussie it up with herbs and wine.

Of course, the slow cooker is capable of making healthful meals that kids might like, but I generally find the stuff . . . well, liked canned soup: edible, but nothing to get me salivating; the meats are overcooked, the veggies tend to disappear in the sauce, and everything ends up tasting pretty much the same. And the textures! Oy, vey! There are none! It all turns to . . . well, like the stuff from cans.

I concede that the slow cooker is a handy appliance, like the can opener and microwave, but beyond that I just don't get it. Of course, I think reality TV is extremely boring, I find lite beer to be a waste of calories, and I read newspapers. I guess maybe I'm just an old fart.

End of rant.

Guts

I have two and they are good for some of the things i like. For example I like to slow cook a brisket in beef broth, cool and shred for string beef tacos. the best!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Nah - you're just a really good cook who enjoys things with a particular texture and mouth-feel, Doug. Nothing wrong with that! I depend upon my slow cooker to make up for my lack of skill with meats. I tend to overcook or burn large cuts of meat like roasts and briskets, so I always do them in the slow cooker. (I'm good with steaks, though.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, Doug, they aren't for everything and for everybody, but I bet your daughter counts hers as a blessing.

If you like steel-cut oatmeal, the overnight method of mixing the ingredients and setting the bowl in water in the crock is fantastic!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'll give slow cookers credit for one thing, they got me back into cooking after a several year hiatus. I do like slow cooking on cool winter days and that's the only time I use mine now.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here you go, Terry! Steel cut oatmeal in a crockpot http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12058&highlight=steel+oats

Buzz, when QBro first moved in with me after his divorce (that was a temporary thing, until he got back on his feet ..... 21 years ago), I introduced him to cooking by handing him the crockpot cookbook and telling him all he had to do is read and heed.

He was so impressed with himself and his success that he ventured onto the stovetop next, then the oven, then low and slow barbecue, and now is an excellent cook! Thank heavens!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
. . well, liked canned soup: edible, but nothing to get me salivating; the meats are overcooked, the veggies tend to disappear in the sauce, and everything ends up tasting pretty much the same. And the textures! Oy, vey! There are none! It all turns to . . . well, like the stuff from cans.

Oh! I so agree with you! I've had a couple of them over the years, and they all ended up donated to Goodwill. Everything comes out like mushy stew. Your description is perfect........

Tonight it's leftover chicken gloop, a monolithic pile of barely palatable protein and carbs despite my efforts to gussie it up with herbs and wine.

AND they're a P.I.T.A. to clean, to boot!!!

I just never had the nerve to post it on a forum before. You've got more guts than I have. Ducking behind the couch...there's room for you back here, too, Doug....:hide2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I depend on my old Rival one a lot at times. Had it since the late '70s!

I wouldn't buy any of the newer Rival units because I've been hearing bad things about them from some dissatisfied owners.

Heard that they boil the foil and burn it.

Last edited:

Lefty

Yank
I like them. I can't find an easier or simpler way to do pulled pork. I also like it for when I go to pot lucks. Again it is usually a quick and easy dish I can even serve out of it. When we do fund raisers crockpots are great for keeping sides warm for serving. Lots of good uses.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Your oven can also work as a slow cooker to make pulled pork.

I like to slow-roast a fresh pork shoulder for pulled pork and for sliced pork for Cuban sammies.

I also have the Rival BBQ Pit Crock Pot Slow Cooker, which also does a marvelous job for pork roasts.

High Cheese

Saucier
The main problem with slow cookers is there's no browning on the food. I use my slow cooker for "the long haul" when it comes to stews, chilis or goulash. But I always start everything in a pot/pan on the stove. Once the food is prepared and ready to simmer for X amount of hours I transfer it to the slow cooker.

Yeah, it's more dishes to clean, but at least it tastes great and I don't have the stove on all day. Best way to cook chili in the summer.

Oh, and those small cookers are great for keeping sauces warm.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We have a cheap one that works well for some dishes, like a stew or soups. My induction stove is also capable of doing all of the same features of a slow cooker.

Now pressure cookers I find much more useful for me but again for somethings not everything. I do prefer stocks made in a pressure cooker.

Shermie

Site Supporter
We have a cheap one that works well for some dishes, like a stew or soups. My induction stove is also capable of doing all of the same features of a slow cooker.

Now pressure cookers I find much more useful for me but again for somethings not everything. I do prefer stocks made in a pressure cooker.

Yeah, for a pot roast, I brown it on the top of the stove first, then I put it in the slow cooker.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My new induction stove and convection oven has as close to a computer panel type controls that all one to use both the stove top or oven just like a slow cooker. You can set times at several different temperatures then have it got to warm when done. Amazing technology really. Once of the best investments I've ever made and even my wife loves it and she could really care about the type of stove.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I love crockpots (slow cookers) for dry beans. Put them on before going to bed, and wake up to some greatness.

I also like to use the crockpot "dry" without braising liquid. One of my favorite things to do is make a round meatloaf the night before. Put it on a trivet in the crock and put the crock in the fridge. The next day, at around 4pm or so, Lisa puts the crock back into the base and sets it for high. Around 8:30 were having a perfectly cooked meatloaf. Not many people think to use the crockpot dry like a roaster, but you can do it. It's trip.

I've had my Rival programmable for several years, & have been quite pleased. I don't care for mushy food either. It has its advantages, for me, i.e. when I don't want to heat up the kitchen during the Summer, if I'm planning a large meal (i.e. Thanksgiving) & all the other appliances are in use. Soups, stews & roasts are my favorites. I want to try doing my meatballs in homemade sauce, clam chowder & a recipe I found for Tomato Vodka soup in the CP.

And... did I mention Cioppino, baked apples, stuffed peppers & Thomas Keller's Cassoulet? The 'trick' for me is, sear or cut the fat off or use a defatting cup, don't drown the food in liquid/soup, or over cook the food. Sometimes a few hours is all it takes. Get to know your particular pot.

Here's a Cioppino recipe Sue might like, & a blog with lots of not the same-old same-old CP stuff.

http://www.yumsugar.com/Sunday-Slow-Cooker-Cioppino-2679002

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

P.S. There are certain reality shows I like - particularly on VH1.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't think it's tacky to give a crock pot as a wedding gift.

:yum:

Whew......where did that come from??? :lol:

Personally, I'm fascinated with pushing the CP to new heights such as the meatloaf or even racks of ribs. Remember the best ribs are cooked low and slow in smoke at 225.....but you could also stack ribs or even a butt in a dry CP and let it cook for 4-8-10 hours for pulled pork or fall off the bone ribs.

The CP has far more uses than we typically push it to, and it uses less energy and generates less heat than an oven!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Just like microwaves, when slow cookers first came out, we thought maybe we could use them for everything. Turned out to be not so. But, like Keltin, I love to use mine for beans. And I often use it in the summer, to avoid heating up the kitchen. I just plug it in on the back patio. I like to use it for a pork roast - cut it into chunks, season and brown it thoroughly, then cook it on a bed of thick sliced onion with potatoes, carrots and maybe some green beans. Just add a little broth. Don't overcook it. Problem is, SO many slow cooker recipes start with a can of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup and I just don't care for the taste. I had this pic tucked away in my FOOD file:

Attachments

• FEBRUARY 4, 2009 003.jpg
    FEBRUARY 4, 2009 003.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 107

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just like microwaves, when slow cookers first came out, we thought maybe we could use them for everything. Turned out to be not so. But, like Keltin, I love to use mine for beans. And I often use it in the summer, to avoid heating up the kitchen. I just plug it in on the back patio. I like to use it for a pork roast - cut it into chunks, season and brown it thoroughly, then cook it on a bed of thick sliced onion with potatoes, carrots and maybe some green beans. Just add a little broth. Don't overcook it. Problem is, SO many slow cooker recipes start with a can of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup and I just don't care for the taste. I had this pic tucked away in my FOOD file:

That looks incredible! Awesome!!! :clap:

I'll take a plate please! :thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh thanks, Keltin. I LOVE that serving plate. It is my very favorite and I have had it for years. It has a crack that runs right through the middle, and I know it's going to break someday, and I just keep holding my breath....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'll hold my breath with you! That plate must survive and live on!! :thumb:

I just love good plates! :thumb: