Fried Corn

Granny

These days most fried corn recipes call for bacon, sometimes green pepper and onion, but this is how it was made back in the 40's through the 70's. For me, fried corn is a comfort food.

Fried Corn

8 to 12 ears of fresh corn
2 tablespoons bacon grease plus 4 tablespoons butter OR 6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup water

Use a large, sharp knife to cut the corn from the cobs. Use the side of the knife to scrape the liquid from the cobs. (This is part of what gives fried corn it’s unique flavor.)

Place all ingredients in a skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. Salt and pepper to taste.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
somewhere, we used to have that- so yummy. my Grandpa's. i think. i, too, made similar. that rocked; we luved that stuff.

LADawg

Local corn will be available in a couple of months, but some from Florida should be in the stores in about a month. I have been trying to develop me a recipe for fried cream style corn. Here's what I have so far.
Do any of you think this will work?

CREAM STYLE FRIED CORN

6 Ears Corn, fresh, white, sweet
2 Slices Bacon
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Milk
Salt, to taste
4 Tablespoons Butter

Shuck and cut the tip ends off the Corn. Using a sharp knife cut the top third of the Corn kernels off the Corn cob into a large mixing bowl. In the same mixing bowl cut the rest of the Corn kernels off. Using the back of the knife, scrape as much of the remaining Corn juice off the cob. Once this is done set the Corn aside.
In a large skillet fry the Bacon until it is crisp. Remove Bacon from the skillet, but save the Bacon grease.
In the same skillet that containing the Bacon grease add the Corn, Water, Milk and Salt. Stir to mix.
Bring to a low boil, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the Butter and cook for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the Water and Milk have boiled out and the Corn is the thickness that you want.

Notes: 1. Fresh ground Black Pepper may be added if desired.
2. Fresh Silver Queen or Silver King is the best Corn to use.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't really understand the recipe, LA - how is that "fried" corn? This northerner isn't familiar with the dish.

What is the purpose of boiling the corn in all that liquid that you want to boil out?

Lee

Johnny West

I know, I went to a BBQ picnic in WV and they fried canned corn, butter and S&P, over the the charcoal and just used some heavy duty aluminum foil for the fryer. To me it was just heated up.

LADawg

I don't really understand the recipe, LA - how is that "fried" corn? This northerner isn't familiar with the dish.

What is the purpose of boiling the corn in all that liquid that you want to boil out?

Lee

I don't think that the recipe says to boil ALL the liquid out. It says to let it simmer until it is the thickness desired.

:corny:

LADawg

I know, I went to a BBQ picnic in WV and they fried canned corn, butter and S&P, over the the charcoal and just used some heavy duty aluminum foil for the fryer. To me it was just heated up.

O.K. Johnny, I have reworded my recipe and may this will be a little clearer \.

CREAM STYLE FRIED CORN

6 Ears Corn, fresh, white
2 Slices Bacon
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Milk
Salt, to taste
4 Tablespoons Butter

Shuck the Corn and cut off the tip ends. Using a sharp knife cut the top third of the Corn kernels off into a large mixing bowl. In the same bowl cut off the rest of the kernels.
Use the back of the knife and scrape the cobs to remove as much of the Corn juice as you can from the cob. Repeat until all six ears are done. Once this is done set aside the corn.
In a large skillet fry the Bacon until it is crisp. Removed the cooked Bacon to a paper towel and set aside, but do not drain the Bacon grease from the skillet.
Add the Corn, Water, Milk and Salt to the Skillet that contains the Bacon grease. Stir well to mix. Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat, reduce heat to medium low and reducd mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Stir a few time to prevent sticking.
Stir in the Butter and continue to simmer, while stirring several times, until the some of the liquid has evaporated and the Corn has become the thickness that you desire.

Notes: 1. A bit of fresh ground Black Pepper may be added, to taste.
2. While Yellow Corn may be used either Silver Queen of Silver King White Corn is
the best.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, that makes more sense for creamed corn.

I'd love it, I'm sure!

Lee