What's Cooking NCT Sun. 2/2 to Sat 2/8/2014

Embryodad

With the Super bowl Sunday, we had the kids over.

DD made chicken wings and three different cheese dip.
DIL made the salads and veggie dips.
Mexican chili cheese fondue too.

I mad and breaded and fried "City Chicken!".....

Tina made a nice carrot cake with cream cheese icing. DIL's Mom came over too, and she baked brownies.
We all had a great time, and I am bursting at the seams; I am so full!:laugh:

And the Brownies and carrot cake were delicious...

I got a shot of Tina (obscured) but she was comfy in her recliner; and watching the half time show.

That's all I am doing, is drinking water. I'm so thirsty from all the cheese dips and the chips ....etc.
icon_smile.gif

Last edited:

LADawg

Got some boneless pork chops out of the freezer. Think I'll give them a good taste of my Jacard, pound them flat/thin and cook them in some gravy. That with some rice and what I call lady peas (I think most folks call them cream peas or White Acre peas) will make a tasty lunch.
We only eat two meals a day. A late breakfast and then eat again about 1:30 of so. Just eat a little snack abound 6 or so.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We had stove top grilled London broil, creamed spinach and butter and herb noodles for dinner last night.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Nice spread, Jimmy! I love city chicken too, and it looks like those little bacon wrapped to-do-dahs were pretty popular too :brows:.

I cooked some baby backs in the oven and made some Crabbies:

Crabbies.jpg

That baguette had more holes than usual, but I managed to get enough with small holes.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i made a boxed french onion soup. 1st time i've seen onion soup lacking texture- was, essentially, oniony broth. i called 'em & got a reimbursement. to me, that type of soup is made w/ sliced onion, beef stock, & so on, then a crouton & cheese. (i was gonna add those myself.)
that soup (broth) was $7, somehow. could've made a stockpot of my own fer less than $5.

so dinner was then chix soup & various deli items.
i miss cooking actual food, dagnabbit.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Reheated stuffed mushrooms, which don't reheat so well, crabbies, and a salad:

StuffedMushroomsSaladCrabbies.jpg

Embryodad

I was outside readjusting snow mounds to get ready for tomorrows snow dump We are forecast to get. Ice first; so I got the generator ready to fire up if needed. It was really warm today compared to what it was. It was 32º and I was outside without a jacket. Tina was screaming out the window at me! hahahahahaha
Tina in the meantime, made a nice Tri-color tortellini soup with spinach and mushrooms and carrots. It was awesome. I never saw three different color tortellini before. Pretty neat. .

My Gosh! I ate so much soup, it is backing up.
I guess a sandwich as a snack around 10:30 or so will take care of that.:yum:

Moxie

I remember these things as a kid, but don't remember what they were.

What is City Chicken?
How does it differ from Mock Chicken?

Does anyone have actual recipes for either of them?

Embryodad

I remember these things as a kid, but don't remember what they were.

What is City Chicken?
How does it differ from Mock Chicken?

Does anyone have actual recipes for either of them?
Moxie, There are a multitude of different stories about "City Chicken!"
We were told that living in the city, where chickens were not running around, and Pork and Veal was cheaper at the time. I guess?? The "City Chicken was like holding a drumstick, and it mocked just eating breaded chicken
It originally is alternating Pork and veal cubes on a wooden skewer, and then breading with the usual flour / egg wash / and bread crumbs, and then frying in shallow cooking oil. Turning and cooking till all browned.
Because it is Pork and veal...We eat them with apple sauce on the side.
They make great snacks cold, or for lunches. A little sprinkle of salt for me, and I'm good to go!

NOW!.... A change had been made to the recipe, by adding Ground Veal and Ground Pork. This way, you don't get the fat and grizzle to deal with, and they are more Kid Friendly.

We make them...
2/3 Quantity Ground Pork Butt (Ground once if possible )( A butcher can do this )
1/3 Quantity Ground Veal ( Ground once if possible ).....
Salt and pepper to taste...( I use 1 tsp. Kosher salt to each Pound of meat )
Add by handful...breadcrumbs just a little at the time till it allows the mix to become
not as watery and when compressed in the hand, it will hold shape.
( About 1/2 to 2/3 Cup )
I use a little dry parsley... Just to add color.
1 egg..
mix all well..
Form about 1 inch x 4 inch ovals by hand, and poke a sharp ended wood skewer into the end while twisting back and forth till it pokes through the other side.

I Bread with flour / egg / and then bread crumbs ( I add a handful of corn meal to add crunch )
I fry in an electric skillet nice and slow at 300º to 325º in cooking oil about 3/8ths to 1/2 inch . Turn and position each till they are all golden brown.
Remove and drain on paper towels on a cooling rack.
( I serve with applesauce ) .....The kids like dipping in honey!
A great side would be mashed potatoes and gravy...and whatever favorite veggie.
It's usually peas for us!

Embryodad

Nice spread, Jimmy! I love city chicken too, and it looks like those little bacon wrapped to-do-dahs were pretty popular too :brows:.

I cooked some baby backs in the oven and made some Crabbies:

Crabbies.jpg

That baguette had more holes than usual, but I managed to get enough with small holes.
They look good.... I'll take a dozen to go please!! LOL

The bacon thingies were Chicken ( all white meat pieces ) wrapped and baked with hot sauce.
They were crisp and on the dry side...SOoooo Jimmy had a couple! Not a chicken man unless it's dry and crispy and crunchy. DIL did a great job!
It was funny, because as I popped one in my mouth, she waited for me to comment!
I didn't say a word, but the answer was W O W when I reached for another. She was so happy. Oh Thank goodness she said! I was hoping to make them so you would eat some, and I guess I passed the "chicken ~ dad" test?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
As a kid, we had city chicken a lot. Mom made mashed taters to go with it.

I'm recovering from my parotidectomy, so I'm not working while the incision heals...35 stitches. Ouch!

Tonight it was boneless back ribs (red tag at Sam's club), pan fried potatoes, steamed & buttered broccoli/carrot medley and sweet coleslaw for dinner. I got two slabs for $5.89, and we ate half of one slab tonight, and will have the rest tomorrow for dinner. It was very tender.

Attachments

• Dinner 020414.jpg
    Dinner 020414.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 120

Embryodad

Hot dogs tonight!

Actually..."Coney Island Texas Wieners"

I boiled the dogs...then fried them in Butter....

Added cheese strips to mine, and while doing that, Tina took charge of these twice baked potatoes. Another Omaha Beef side from the freezer.

OMG....They really hit the spot. I ate two; plus Tinas 1/2 she couldn't finish!

I toasted the buns in butter too! Ohhhhh!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Had Barilla mini wagon wheel pasta with tomato sauce and salad last night.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The last two times that I tried to buy cornbread mix at the grocery store they were out, not totally out, but out of all the brands that I will eat. I saw the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did, they're very good.

I made them in a mini muffin pan. I did measure the cheese, but I think my freshly grated cheese didn't equal quite a cup. The stuff in the bag packs down more, so maybe next time I'll use 1 1/2 cups of freshly grated. They're little butter bombs but oh so good:

Makes 24 minis:

CheddarBayBiscuits.jpg

The cook's taste test:

CheddarBayBiscuit.jpg

InsideCheddarBayBiscuits.jpg

Embryodad

The last two times that I tried to buy cornbread mix at the grocery store they were out, not totally out, but out of all the brands that I will eat. I saw the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit mix and decided to give it a shot. Glad I did, they're very good.

I made them in a mini muffin pan. I did measure the cheese, but I think my freshly grated cheese didn't equal quite a cup. The stuff in the bag packs down more, so maybe next time I'll use 1 1/2 cups of freshly grated. They're little butter bombs but oh so good:

Makes 24 minis:

The cook's taste test:

They look great cooksie... My kids love the red lobster cheesy bisquits.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Makes 24 minis:

CheddarBayBiscuits.jpg

The cook's taste test:

CheddarBayBiscuit.jpg

They look great!

I didn't know there was a packaged mix. I will look for it.

I make them from scratch (semi scratch Bisquik is used LOL) following the copy cat recipe. The last time I used fresh garlic and parsley instead of the powder and dry.