Thinking of a Bison Steak tomorrow

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
They are pretty good. I got some not to long ago and really enjoyed them. Just be sure not to over cook them. I really could not taste much difference from beef. Lot less fat.

GrillinFool

No. But they have ground bison at my market. Haven't had the guts yet.

I'm thinking of going full on fat steak....Ribeye most likely. I hear they have very little fat so I'm trying to decide if I do a marinade to add flavor or just simply go with salt, black pepper and garlic to get a feel for the meat for future reference....

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
They are very lean, barely any fat. And I would just go with s&p. Bison ribeyes is what I had. I would omit doing a marinade the first time out.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
No. But they have ground bison at my market. Haven't had the guts yet.

Hey Jeeks, I have been using bison in place of ground beef. There is not much difference at all. Bison are farmed raised and raised on pretty much the same feed as cattle, so you really don't notice any difference. What I have noticed is that the ground bison is a little more dense, and of course, very little fat.

I use ground bison interchangeably with ground beef. Made spaghetti the other night using bison. Pretty damn good!

chowhound

I would try to cook it without much of anything, too. Then you'll know exactly what you want to do next time around.
I've only had bison burger, so can't comment on a steak. The burger tasted like lean burger, but I have no idea how "pure" it was.

lilylove

I've had them but never cooked them myself. They are lean and hear they cook much faster than beef. Very good!!

High Cheese

Saucier
Hey Jeeks, I have been using bison in place of ground beef. There is not much difference at all. Bison are farmed raised and raised on pretty much the same feed as cattle, so you really don't notice any difference. What I have noticed is that the ground bison is a little more dense, and of course, very little fat.

I use ground bison interchangeably with ground beef. Made spaghetti the other night using bison. Pretty damn good!

Is it similar to 90% lean? Because I'm not a fan of that stuff. If I cook with ground beef, I use 80% and skim off most of the fat. I also only use 80% for burgers.

Is there a flavor difference? If it tastes so close to regular ground beef, then why spend the extra cash? If it tastes different or meatier or something, I would try it.

PanchoHambre

hat it out a bunch...it was real trendy for awhile down in TX. never made it myself...was eying some at Wegmans the other day.

From what i remember cook fast and high because they are very lean.

I never really noticed a difference in taste to beef

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Is it similar to 90% lean? Because I'm not a fan of that stuff. If I cook with ground beef, I use 80% and skim off most of the fat. I also only use 80% for burgers.

Is there a flavor difference? If it tastes so close to regular ground beef, then why spend the extra cash? If it tastes different or meatier or something, I would try it.

There is a flavor difference, but not like gamey flavor. I guess what I am saying is that it is not such a big difference that you can use it in place of ground beef.

It is very lean, so if your were to use it for burgers... might want to add some fat to it or lay some nice slabs of bacon on top. When I cooked up the ground the other day, there was barely a smidgen of fat left in the pan.

It is meatier... it is more filling to me and a little goes a long way. As for the cost, I don't pay that close attention to it. I just buy it from time to time for a change of pace.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I have yet to see bison steaks in the stores. I mail ordered mine and I don't think I will be doing that again (kinda like ordering from Ohmaha Steaks). I would say that if you can find it, give it a try. I was really impressed with the flavor and tenderness of the steaks considering there was barely any fat on them.

chowhound

I called a semi-close place to check on bison meat. And they have a website.
Pretty pricey, the prices he was quoting me on the phone are about $0.50 higher than what is on the site. The guy couldn't stop talking it up; good fat vs bad fat (beef), grass fed vs corn (commercial beef), sweet tasting, don't bother seasoning it like beef, beef needs fat for taste and buffalo doesn't. Quite the salesman (lol). I asked him about throwing a steak on the grill and he said lower temps, longer cook time. It might be nice to try for a change of pace.

GrillinFool

This may be going down tonight. The wife was going to do a potato soup in the crock pot. Stopped off at the house and there is no power and won't be for another 3 hours at least. So I may be getting some for tonight....

GrillinFool

Got two Bison Ribeyes. Had to really dig through what they had to not get that huge glob of fat that is indicative of Ribeyes cut from farther down the cut. And the guy there was not at all pleased to be dealing with me. Some people just don't know how to put the Customer in Customer Service.

Ribeye were $18.99/pound and NYS's were $19.99/pound. Why? Because the place is in a trendy part of town....Ah well...I'm deducting the cost anyway!?!!?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Never had the steak, but I have had the ground bison and a bison cube steak. Really good, but very lean as others have said. It tastes a bit “beefier” than beef.....that’s about the only way I can think to describe it. :yum:

Ok, before anyone gets bent over that, let’s say it tastes a bit more “savory”. :yum: :yum:

GrillinFool

OK, monkey wrench hit the works last night. We had no power last night till the evening. The wife was over at her mom's with out son. I thought about just doing the one steak for myself but my wife really wants one so we are delaying the steaks till Friday. So, stay tuned. And with the extra time I think I might do a light marinade....

GrillinFool

Found another place that carries Bison and had planned on getting a fat steak to do tonight. Went to the place. Had 8 ounce steaks that were about an inch thick, maybe. And they were $15/per. Yeap, $30/pound. So I passed.

But I did score some SWEET Fillet Minions. $7.99/pound. Bought two good size ones and two small ones. Big ones for me. Small ones for the wife. Had them packaged in two packages to freeze. I also got a monster 16 ounce FM for tonight. A bottle of their BBQ sauce and marinade and my bill was $33. Two Fillet meals, monster fillet for tonight and BBQ and sauce and a bottle of marinade...