Woo Hoo finally get to take a vacation!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, after fighting off two basement floods and throwing out a lot of stuff, we are finally caught up and can take a vacation. While pondering where to go, I got a call from my moms cousin that I had not heard from in about 12 years. She was passing thru Chicago on her way to Vermont and wanted to stop by.
She got here last Thursday, and we had a great time showing her, her daughter, and her daughters three sons around Chicago. Well mostly good time, there was that incident where I tried to run over her oldest son and we had to spend a few hours in the ER....

Anyway long story short, they talked us into traveling out with them. We are leaving either late tonight or early tomorrow morning and going to Niagara Falls for a couple of days, then on to VT for a family re-union (mothers side of the family). I didn't even know I had relatives in Vermont! Turns out there are a bunch there and one of them owns a Maple tree farm there.
Cool!
So, anyone got any suggestions on what to expect in Niagara, or what is good there? Our hotel is two blocks away from the falls and next to the river.
Anyone think we can set up a meet-up somewhere in there? We will be on I-80 and I-90 going thru Indiana, Ohio, and then up to Niagara. We will get to Niagara Wednesday and leave Friday morning for Vermont.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't really know much about Vermont except that I went there once to learn to ski and it rained the entire weekend so no skiing. I went to Niagara once and saw the falls. That was lovely and an incredible sight, but we didn't spend the night there so I know nothing else about the place. I'm just really happy for you to get a vacation, Mav!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Have fun! I've never been there, so I want pic's :). The basement floods had to have been very stressful, so just relax and enjoy.

PanchoHambre

I didn't even know I had relatives in Vermont! Turns out there are a bunch there and one of them owns a Maple tree farm there.
Cool!.

Very Cool!

Never done Niagara. My understanding is the Canadian side is nicer.

VT is great the ski towns in the southern part are a but touristic but otherwise it is beautiful great antiques good food and cool hard working folks.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! I really really needed this vacation, and can't wait to see the falls and Vermont! And yes, I will definitely pack the ol' camera! Maybe even the video camera to boot, LOL.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I haven't been to Niagra Falls in years. Pancho is right, the Canadian side is much nicer. They used to light the falls up at night with different colored lights under the falls, I don't know if they still do that but I remember that it was beautiful.

I've never been to VT. I'm so happy for you...reconnecting (and connecting) with family. I hope you have a great time.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have a picture of my daughter (when she was 14 months old) standing with one foot in the US and one in Canada on the bridge at Niagara Falls. She is now 41. That's how long it has been since I saw Niagara Falls. But I remember being very impressed - most important, enjoy yourselves. And give yourself credit for being able to do something on impulse - good decision!

Biskit

Sounds like you deserved this break very much! Go! Enjoy! Post lotsa pics when you get back but, most of all, relax and breathe easy for a few days.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Opps, made a mistake. The Bascom Maple Farm is in New Hampshire not Vermont. Sowwy! Somewhere between Keene and Springfield or there abouts.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like fun Mav. I've been to the falls a number of times. They are so impressive. The Canadian side has the best views and more 'stuff' in general, but with the new laws on the borders you might need a passport to get to Canada or to get back in the USA.

Here's to a great vacation for your family Mav. I wish you all the best. :thumb: :tiphat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never been to the Falls, but I've been to Vermont many times. It's beautiful, if you like rural and the mountains and farmland (I do).

Be sure to pick up some maple syrup and cheese, and soda crackers if you can find them (great with cheese).

It's probably too early for apples, but maybe you can get some apple butter to use on toast and ice cream.

Have a wonderful time, Mav!

Lee

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hey, according to us Iowans, Chicago makes ya talk funny! LOL.

We got here today after driving all night (the drive is so much more peaceful at night with less traffic), and found out that just our luck they are having a fireworks show tonight!
Best part is you can see it perfectly from our hotel room! Now I just have to drag the kids out of the pool...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, once we figured the place out, we had a great time. First, dont eat by the hotels right next to the park entrance, and dont park in all the private parking lots. Park in the park itself, and also get your tour package there. Anywhere else it is marked up by anywhere from $20 to $30 and you dont get anything extra for the markup.
Eating at the burger joint near Rainbow Bridge cost us about $70. Yikes! After that we went out to the Bob Evans near I-190 and US 62. Short drive but great service and food. Closer to the falls is Donatellos, they had great pizza and wings and even better service, the staff makes you feel very welcome and right at home. Huge pizza and 30 wings for $32. We added in a couple of sandwiches cause Mitch didnt want pizza plus 2 two liters and spent $46 in all for 5 to eat plus half the pizza left over!
But enough of that, on to the pics! I did my best with the camera:

Attachments

• DSCF4945.jpg
    DSCF4945.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF4911.jpg
    DSCF4911.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF4913.jpg
    DSCF4913.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF4920.jpg
    DSCF4920.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF4930.jpg
    DSCF4930.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 99

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
And the rest. These represent the best of all the pics I took:

Attachments

• DSCF4953.jpg
    DSCF4953.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF4954.jpg
    DSCF4954.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF4969.jpg
    DSCF4969.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF4970.jpg
    DSCF4970.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 95

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
What incredible pics, Mav! Looks like the weather was perfect, too. And even though the falls are magnificent, it's your kids that stole the pictures. They look so happy!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those are just amazing pictures. You even got a rainbow shot! Beautiful family too. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Thank you FM and Cooksie! I was so excited when I got that rainbow, it was just before the boat entered the mist so I had to get it quick before I would have to put the camera away (not water proof!). If I had brought a water proof camera I could have gotten some real cool pics of the kids playing on the Hurricane Deck. What a rush that was, all that water washing over you!

We had a great time, left this morning and we are now in Keene, NH. The vistas are absolutely amazing here!! I hope to get some real good pictures before we leave and get them posted here as well. There is also a chance we may get to Boston or at least to the coast to see the ocean.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm so glad you're having a good time, Mav - you certainly deserve it. Thanks for posting the great pics - looking forward to more. I've never been to NH or Boston.