in addition to the knives, it's going to hold for ready fetching:

steel
carving fork
long stem analog thermometer
instant read thermometer
measuring spoons T, T/2; t, t/2
kitchen shears
a timer, iffin' I fit it.

I've got some kitchen shears - have plastic covers on hinge, prior pair broke etc. obviously if I'm making a custom 'hole' for the shears, I'm looking for high quality shears that will last a long long time.

I've seen the 'detachable' types - anyone have those? or know if they're worth having?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i would say, get 'em- they're very simplistic to clean. inexpensive & durable, as well.

Guts

I was watching the TV show how it's made and kitchen shares had a segment made by Cutco, if you have access to on demand you might look that show up. They looked like a really nice set of kitchen chairs. They were the kind that came apart into pieces for easy cleaning.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I have tons of kitchen scissors that I've bought over the years. I only really like one pair; I get the kind that will cut through bone.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what mine look like.
Great for cutting right through poultry bones - raw or cooked! :cooking:

Attachments

• Kitchen shears.jpg
    Kitchen shears.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 261

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My faves

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gunter-Wilhelm-Executive-207-Poultry/dp/B00D8JOY4I[/ame]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
appreciate the input. I've been looking and surfing -

- must survive the dishwasher - pretty handles, coiled springs, etc. do not normally have a long life in such situations

- do not need a bottle opener, twig clipper, toe-nail device, can opener,,,,gimme a break - it's a pair of scissors!

- plastics . . . I hate plastics. pretty, then they curl up and break, chip, crack, whatever. I would prefer all metal, stainless, reasonably comfortable handles - I don't use them 6 hours a day - so 'comfortable use' is a limited demand.

they have to last, because designing / making a custom block holder means they must fit into a hole/slot/whatever. which means, if they break/become useless two years from now and the 'new and improved and more-better and snips-du-jour' don't fit the hole, that's a problem. so my concern focuses on long life - a pair of all metal, no plastic xrap, that'll last 20 years....

sharp - I can re-make things sharp. know how to do that....

chilefarmer

Update on the shears. The brand name is Clauss. I did find the same shear on Amazon for $13.95 and free shipping. Guess I am gonna order some.
Here is the link. CF
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Clauss-Stainless-Steel-8-Inch-Detachable/dp/B002TYZMCG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1418652585&sr=8-13&keywords=clauss+shears[/ame]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
those shears are on my list as well. I've got 2 projects in the works, then it'll be knife block time.

I sharpened free-hand for years, finally broke down and got the Edge-Pro system.
which imho is a stellar device - easy to use, consistent, no smoke&mirrors required.

chilefarmer

CM, got the shears, came in today. Haven't used them much. But I can say they are well built and really heavy. They do come apart for easy cleaning, and if they wear at the joint it can be tighten with a nut on the other side. The wide handle is nice, just pick them up and cut. The stainless is at least 1/4" thick. Nice tool (of course made in china) CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please keep us posted, CF, as you use them more.

Lee

chilefarmer

Have been using the kitchen shears, They are tough. Took the back bone from a turkey and a chicken with ease. Cut green onion tops. Also cut my vacuum bags by just pushing them across the bag, no scissor action needed. I think they are a good buy. CF

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ouch. I'm fixing a hole for those exact shears in my knife block. not that others would not fit, but . . .

having had such a-h!t experiences before, I bought three pair. at my age, I might get into the second pair . . . (g) when doing custom fits, always be sure you have enough fitees.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I think it was Adillo looking for those - I sent an email to Clauss about any replacement items, but no reply.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
CF -

I bought those Clauss not long after you found them and posted here. like 2014'ish?

the knife block project has been simmering for a number of years - so when you found a dang decent set of shears - I bought three pair. just in case both my belt and my suspenders failed..... (g)

[[three kids we have,, so it's not entirely a random number....]]

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
apparently I have user error issues. tried to upload this - didn't appear.

here's the block after a good mineral oil soak + multiple bees wax&mineral oil rubbings.

it's amazing how much oil the end grain will soak up and the color change of end grain versus edge/face grain areas. the whole thing will darken with age.

Attachments

• DSC_4652s.jpg
    DSC_4652s.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 93