Cooking Tips

Leni

If you want to remove excess liquid from cucumber, defrosted spinach, or anything along those lines try using a ricer. It really does the job.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Leni, I love this tip, but would like to change the title of the thread to something like
"How to Remove Moisture from Fresh Vegs".

Or something else you would suggest to make give the thread title more detail.

Okay?

Lee

Leni

I was thinking that many of us have little tricks that we use in the kitchen and never think to share with someone else. Maybe that's because we think that it's obvious and everyone knows that. However if you have a better idea for a title, be my guest.

Here's another one for you. Do you know how to center the egg yolk so that when you make deviled eggs they are not off to one side? It's simple. Put a rubber band around the egg carton and turn it on its side overnight.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
If I want minced garlic, I chop it as finely as I can, sprinkle some salt on in it and finish mincing it with a fork.

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>turn it on its side overnight.
there's two sides. which one?

>>salt
the (coarse) salt acts as an abrasive and promotes the finer finer finer mince routine.

It also keeps the little pieces of garlic from flying all over the cutting board/room while you're chopping/mincing. That's what I use the salt for, anyway. :)

Leni

Chowderman, you want the eggs resting on their side not on their ends. The rubberband keeps the lid from opening up and creating a mess. :biggrin:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
an egg is ovate shaped.

if in a standing up egg the yolk miscenters itself along the major axis due to (__________), how does the yolk not miscenter itself along the minor axis - from either side - if laid on the side?

if the yolk floats / sinks in the white, it's gonna' float to the top or sink to the bottom no matter which end/side is up . . .

Leni

I don't know why it works but it does as long as you don't leave it on the side longer than overnight. This is one of those mysteries of Mother Nature. :huh: :chef:

Leni

I don't know why it works but it does as long as you don't leave them on their side longer than overnight. :huh: :chef: It's one of those mysteries of Mother Nature.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
classic decorating tip- make 3 or 4 'lil dots increasing in sz. on (inside) edge of a dessert plate w/ a fruit or chocolate sauce using a squeeze bottle. use a skewer/toothpick to quickly pull thru centers to make hearts.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
save smooth-edged tuna cans as cutters for doughs, cooking eggs, etc, namely if u can remove both ends

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Don't have a pastry/decorating bag/squeezie bottle? Fill a ziplock bag,squeeze air out, snip corner of bag to desired size and squeeze away. :)

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
save, seal, then fridge/freeeze any veggie meat/poultry/seafood scrap that u cannot use in a meal for stock. *avoid strong/bitter veggies, like asparagus, brussels sprouts, etc.* seperate the meats, the poultries, & the seafoods.

use colorful onion peel, beets, & other highly pigmented veggies boiled for a natural dye. reduce as needed.

prep extra veggies, seal, & use as needed. same for pastas: often when hurrying, i undercook a batch of pasta, then place in a contianer/baggie & cook as needed. i have referigated & frozen them. way cheaper than buying refrigerated pastas.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have an Ulu, and it's great for slicing off pieces of frozen bacon for seasoning peas and such. I don't have the bowl though.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
No rolling pin???? Use a wine bottle:

MakeshiftRollingPin.jpg

I use wax paper a lot, easy clean up.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Use one of these to chop hard boiled eggs for egg salad or to chop avacado for guacamole.

dead link

Leni

Oh my gosh Peeps. This is exactly what I was talking about. I do that all the time and never thought to post it here.

Leni

When baking a cake I'll put the pan on a piece of parchment paper. I use the pan as a templet and draw a knife point around the outside. What doesn't pull apart easily I cut with sissors. I end up with a nice liner for the cake pan. After baking the cake just draw a knife around the outside of the cake and it turns out very easily.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Place your peppercorns in a tea ball for easy removal from stock.
Also place pickling spices in the tea ball for easy removal after boiling corned beef. I hate having to strain all that out before boiling the veggies in the corned beef stock.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The garlic/salt trick is wonderful for salads/sauces and such. But when I want very fine garlic without adding to much salt I grate it on my micro plane which turns it into a paste form. I also grate still frozen fresh ginger for a fine/paste form. It's quick, easy and no peeling is necessary.

Leni

The pastry cutter or a potato masher can be used to break up ground meat as you fry it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh my gosh Peeps. This is exactly what I was talking about. I do that all the time and never thought to post it here.
You know I sometimes do things while cooking and think I want to post that little tip and forget what it is later. LOL I will try to write them down.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I use my potato river to squeeze the juice out of lemons, limes, oranges and veggies. Strains out the seeds too.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
eggs getting too old to use~ beat lightly, then place in ice trays. when frozen, seal in freezer bags. same for pestos.

also works when making your own baby foods. 1 of them is a serving for younger babies.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
grasp asparagus at each end. bend. it'll break naturally @ the point where it is tender enough to ingest. or peel stalks.

this works for celery, too.^

freeze pie dough & other similar dough equipment before use. ice/thoroughly dry surfaces, too, unless working on marble, to prevent sticking.

make sure a glass or copper/whisk're squeaky clean when whipping egg whts. a trace of fat can prevent proper results.