2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
3/4 pound, about 2 1/2 cups, sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
2 heaping tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, a generous handful, chopped
1/4 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large sour dill pickle, finely chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation: Preheat a large non-stick skillet with a 1/4-inch of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.

Sprinkle a little water into four medium food storage baggies. Place 1 chicken breast in each bag and seal it up, pushing out excess air. Use the bottom of a heavy pot or pan and pound each breast until flat, just shy of busting out of the bag. Repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts.

Place the pretzels in a food processor or blender and grind until fine. Transfer the ground pretzels to a shallow dish, add the thyme and some salt and pepper. Crack and beat 2 eggs in a second shallow dish with a splash of water. One at a time, coat each chicken breast in the egg and then the ground pretzels.

Add the pretzel-coated chicken breast to the hot oil. Cook in a single layer, in 2 batches if necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and breading is evenly browned.

While the chicken is frying, in a medium saucepot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour to it. Cook flour and butter for 1 minute and then whisk in the milk. When the milk comes to a bubble, stir in the cheese and mustard with a wooden spoon. Season with a little salt and pepper, and remove cheese sauce from the heat.

Transfer the fried pretzel-crusted chicken breast to a serving plate, drizzle with the mustard cheddar sauce, then sprinkle with a little parsley, finely chopped onion and sour dill pickle. Serve lemon wedges alongside.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Tally! This dish, and the final presentation of it (LOVE the chopped onion and pickles on top!) are literally making my mouth water!

Have you made it? Would you do it again?

PICTURES????

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
veddy eentersetink, tally. i like the idea of salty (pretzels and cheese) and sour on the chicken as well.

i think i'll try a healthy version of this using whole wheat pretzels, whole wheat flour, skim milk, grapeseed oil, and 2% cheese.

damn, now it doesn't look so good, lol.

loboloco

Tally entered this, I tried it. Fantastic.

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 363

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks SO good, lobo!!!

Nice job! And thank you for the photo!!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wow - that looks good. Thanks for the recipe, Tally - and for showing us how good it looks, loboloco. I'll be trying this soon.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome back, lobo!

What have you been up to?

Lee