Peep's Baked Stuffed Clams

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Baked Stuffed Clams

12 little neck clams, scrub shells to remove dirt, sand and grit (save cooking liquid for use later)
1 small minced onion
6 slices bacon - chopped fine
Olive oil (enough added to bacon drippings to saute onion and garlic; if needed )
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 Tbsp clam juice (saved cooking liquid from steaming the clams)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
Ground hot pepper flakes - to taste
Pinch of thyme
1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese
2 Tbsp Fresh parsley chopped fine
1/2 tsp Paprika (for stuffing)
Paprika (to dust tops of clams before baking)

Fresh parsley chopped fine for garnish - optional
Lemon wedges
Hot sauce

Fill a large pot with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water. Bring water to a boil. Add the clams to the boiling water. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the clams steam for approximately 6-10 minutes or until the shells open. Remove clams from the pot and let cool enough to handle. Discard any clams that have not opened (if they haven't opened it means they were dead to begin with and should not be eaten).

Remove the clam meat from the shells and mince finely. Break apart the clam shells from their hinges. Rinse and scrap rough edges off clam hinges and set aside. Strain (to remove any grit) and reserve cooking liquid from steaming the clams.

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a pan, cook bacon till crisp; remove from pan. Add olive oil if needed to the bacon drippings and bits in pan and heat on medium high. Add the minced onion. Once the onions have softened add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and place in bowl. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, minced clams, lemon juice, bacon, parmesan cheese, Salt, freshly ground black pepper , Ground hot pepper flakes to taste and clam juice. Stir until the stuffing mixture is completely moistened. (If too dry, add a bit more clam juice or lemon juice; if too wet, add a bit more bread crumbs.)

Lay clam shells on a baking dish. Mound stuffing mixture onto each clam shell. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned on top (or you may place under broiler the last 5 minutes to finish browning).
Sprinkle clams with finely chopped parsley before serving if desired. Serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce.

baked_clams_1082010_P1060237.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, do you use storebought bread crumbs or fresh bread crumbs?

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's my short cut version of stuffed clams.

I pick up the shells on Revere Beach and run then through the dishwasher.

Lee

Easy Stuffed Clams

8 medium-sized clam shells
2 cans chopped clams (not minced, CHOPPED)
1 stick melted butter
1/4 onion, minced
3 small sleeves of Ritz crackers (or a sleeve and a half of the longer ones)
Approx. 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Juice of half a lemon or to taste
Couple of dashes of garlic powder
3 T. chopped parsley
Many dashes of Frank's hot sauce
Paprika

Combine all ingredients with the melted butter. Fill clam shells and sprinkle paprika on top.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until heated through.

Serve with lemon wedges and a bottle of hot sauce.

Attachments

• Clams in dishwasher.JPG
    Clams in dishwasher.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Stuffed clams.JPG
    Stuffed clams.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 154

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Lee your clams look wonderful. I also save my shells if they are in good shape (Walking on the beach to collect shells sounds like fun) to reuse.

At times when I can't get live clams I also use canned clams.

Johnny West

I wish I'd of kept those last big quahog shells at Martha's Vineyard - looks like we'll never make it back there.

Everyone's stuffed clams look fantastic. :thumb: