I'ts about time

PanchoHambre

I am starting to feel interest in my garden again.... The bulbs I planted in the fall have started to poke through.. the tree I planted on the street last year survived it's second city winter and is budding out... we'll see what else survived under there despite the doggies and bad soil

I have promised myself to keep the gardening manageable this year but I am starting to get excited about it again.

so who else is starting to get itchy for getting thier hands back in the dirt?

those warm climate folks...well I'm not asking you:sad:

lilylove

There is two inches of snow outside my window and it's still coming down... as much as I want it to be SPRING I don't think it's even close.

Happy planting to you pancho!!! :)

suziquzie

I AM I AM!!!!
It's about time to start some of my seeds and I can't wait!
Dh is also going to build me some nice, sturdy tomato cages from wood so I don't have to keep saying bad words to my flimsy collapsible wire ones....
I can see my muddy yard today but tomorrow is supposed to be 8 inches of snow.
:(
It's ok, it'll melt fast this time of year.

PanchoHambre

Nah... I know I am getting happy too early... I have real trouble with winter though so signs of hope make me... well hopeful. I really should just move south rather than reach the edge of insanity every winter.

PanchoHambre

adding this weekend I picked up mulch and woodchips and mulched and covered the yard... I keep eyeing all my sunflower seeds from last year thinking when can I put them in... My house faces a large vacant corner so last year I put a wall of sunflowers along the blank wall... really cheers up the block....i have so many seeds from it this year if they are viable I am going to be like johnny sunflower seed ... gurilla planting around the hood

babe

i am really excited. my handy man and i did all of my container veggies. we planted seeds and plants. used the topsy turvey tomato thingy for a couple different kinds. lettuce, eggplant, carrots, green onions, garlic, spinach, bush beans, squash, two kinds. can't remember what else. there is absolutely no chance of frost here in calif. can't hardly wait to see what happens. first year doing this.

chowhound

I told you we were in for an early spring, Pancho. I know I'm going to still get hit, but you might be in the clear. And even so, winter has left for a while...
I'm thinking rice this year. I don't do the garden thing yet, and nobody plants here without cover until the end of May, but looking at all the standing water on my property... rice might be the way to go.

Ive been planning since december, but just actually got out today to clean things up a bit, and started leeks inside last week. Ill start tomatoes inside in 2 weeks.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We are changing this around in the front again this year, re-do three beds, one flagstone path, and the flagstone wall. Started those projects today. The goal is to make the wall and paths look better and clearer, while moving stuff in the beds away from the edges, and use stuff that is less maintenance orientated. DW just doesn't have time to maintain it and run her business since I am out of the picture.
I re-arranged and cleaned up the side of the house today, so that is ready to have the few plants left moved, then it will be ready to be planted.
In the back, that main patio is being enlarged, and a side round patio being put in for benches and a chimney so we can sit outside and watch the fire.
Next to the main patio was a large native prairie bed, that is half removed and is being re-edged now. Then I will put a low fence all around it and that is our new veggie garden.
If I am lucky I will have all that done by the end of the year (except the veggie garden that is being prepped ahead of everything else), which only leaves the back half of the yard LOL!
It never ends, and is always evolving but the idea here is swapping out some plants for others that don't need as much maintenance, putting in better borders, finishing the flagstone paths, and putting in fruit and berry bushes and trees.
We have an apple tree out front that is starting to bear good baking apples, a peach tree is going in to replace an old worn out lily bush, raspberries going in, elderberry bushes, etc.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We had 4" of snow just last Thursday and today it is 50 and raining. It will probably snow some more into May perhaps like last year. I couldn't get a tomato to ripen at all last year so won't be messing much with out door gardening at all. I'm now growing most of the things year around in my garden window or the Aero Garden.

babe

i just checked out the prices on various aerogardens. way out of my price range. make the veggie's just to expensive to grow. my lettuce is already coming up and was planted just a week ago. as i have said everything is being grown in pots. plus the topsy turvey tomato planter. wonder why yours did not produce outdoors.