Gold Site Supporter
A neighbor just gave me some.

Anyone have some creative ideas?

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Your other post gave me an idea. How about cut them into 1 inch pieces and wrap each of those with bacon, with a tooth pick through it, dip them in BBQ sauce and the pop em in the oven for a bit.

Or there is always Beans and franks.

..dumb question but what other kind of hot dogs are there, other than store bought?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Cut them into thin slices, say 1/8" thick. Fry some peppers, onions, maybe some mushrooms, in a pan with them. Add some chunks of boiled potato, Salt, pepper, a bit of butter, brown the potatoes and put in a gutted hoagie roll.

Seems like it would be nice.

Heck, fry a little bacon in the pan with everything else. (Optional).
Wait!!!!!!!!!!! Can bacon be optional? LOL

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not clear on what you've got there. When I say "hot dog," I mean a weiner inside a bun with some condiments. Some people just call the weiner/frank a hot dog.

If you just have the meat (?? :)), brown them and add them to some mac-n-cheese.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
when i was a tot, we would slice 'em in half, put American cheese in-between, then either cook in a skillet or (yep, i'm saying that my Parents were microwavers)- microwave 'em. we lost half their cheese via cooking, tho me & my brother were not complaining~

i would make beans/wieners, myself, if there's only a few--

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have three "wieners". We call them hot dogs.

If we have them in a roll, it's also a hot dog. Or hot dog in a roll.

Doc, I meant that the hot dogs had been part of a package of 8, not the nice fat, thick ones from the deli that you buy as many as you need.

These are great ideas, folks - I feel like pulling the dogs out of the freezer right now and cooking up some of these dishes!

Thank you!

Lee

chilefarmer

I roast them sometime in my toaster oven. Slice of bread with mustard and a hot dog rolled up inside is pretty good eats. CF

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
"Slice of bread with mustard and a hot dog rolled up inside is pretty good eats. "

which is improved by a healthy dollop of minced onion.... (g)

heh, it's just a hot dog. I prefer to boil them cooked, but not infrequently I nuke 'em into a sizzle....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well, is Jerseyites go to Rutts Hut where they throw them in the French fryer till they split. They call them rippers.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
When kids, we would slice the in half and pan fry them in butter, then make a white bread sandwich with American cheese and ketchup. Just like fried baloney sandwiches, but made with "tube steaks.":wink:

Johnny West

Your other post gave me an idea. How about cut them into 1 inch pieces and wrap each of those with bacon, with a tooth pick through it, dip them in BBQ sauce and the pop em in the oven for a bit.

Or there is always Beans and franks.

..dumb question but what other kind of hot dogs are there, other than store bought?

Wrapped in bacon gets my vote. Hot dogs on horseback. :hotdog:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I really wanted to do something new and different with them, but I went with a variation on Joe V's fried hot dog sandwich.

I had some leftover sauerkraut and a loaf of seeded rye, so I split the dogs, browned them up in butter, and made a sandwich with kraut and red onion with one of the dogs.

I cut up the others and had them for lunch with the kraut, onions, and a slice of rye on the side.

Love a good hot dog!

Thanks for playing, everyone!

Lee

Attachments

• Hot dog sandwich.JPG
    Hot dog sandwich.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 994