Carrot Cookies (Maine)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These cookies do NOT taste like carrot cake!

They are very light, soft cookies that, unfrosted, are not too sweet. I gave some of the unfrosted cookies to my neighbors who neither like things very sweet, nor nuts.

I added the nutmeg to both the cookies and the frosting. And I added butter to the frosting, since it was unbearably sweet without it. I wasn't crazy about the orange flavor in the frosting, but then again, I'm not a fan of orange desserts.

I would make these again, but bigger next time. And either a cream cheese frosting or no frosting (I like them plain, too!)

Lee

Carrot Cookies (Maine)

Adapted from The NY Times New England Heritage Cookbook

Carrot Cookies (Maine)

Cookies:

1 cup shortening (I used butter)
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed carrots
1 teas vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teas baking powder
½ teas salt
Couple sprinkles of nutmeg

Frosting:

¼ cup orange juice
1 T. orange rind
Confectioner’s sugar
Knob of softened butter
Couple sprinkles of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream the shortening and granulated sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg.

Beat in the carrots and vanilla.. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg. Stir into the batter.

Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto a greased baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until done (if you make bigger cookies, go 20 minutes). Cool on rack.

For frosting, combine the orange juice, orange rind, softened butter and enough confectioner’s sugar to make a spreadable consistency. Grate in some nutmeg. Spread over cooled cookies.

Makes about 30 small cookies.

Attachments

• Carrots, mashed.JPG
    Carrots, mashed.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Carrot cookie batter.JPG
    Carrot cookie batter.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Carrot cookies, unfrosted.JPG
    Carrot cookies, unfrosted.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Carrot cookies, frosted.JPG
    Carrot cookies, frosted.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 157

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, Dee.

Actually, I just tried a frosted and nutted cookie among those that I put in the fridge.

They are growing on me! :)

Lee