Apple Pudding -- Easy & Good!

FryBoy

DW made this the other day while I was away. It's a very simple one-bowl recipe, nearly idiot-proof, and the results are both attractive and delicious.

The original is from a very old copy of Farm Journal's Best-Ever Recipes, which for no apparent reason called it Virginia Apple Pudding. I have reworked and clarified the instructions.

BTW, DW couldn't find canned apple slices, so she bought some canned apple-pie filling and rinsed off the goop in a colander, which worked quite well.

APPLE PUDDING

½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup sifted flour (sift, then measure)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 cups cooked or canned apple slices, drained

1. Heat oven to 375.

2. Melt butter in 2-quart casserole; swirl around to grease the sides of the casserole.

3. Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, & cinnamon in a bowl; mix well to combine.

4. Add milk and melted butter from casserole; blend well.

5. Pour batter back into 2-quart casserole in which you melted the butter.

6. Pile apples in center of batter (batter will rise up and cover apples as it bakes).

7. Bake uncovered in 375-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until batter covers fruit and is nicely browned.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or both. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Hmmm, with a foodie such as yourself in the house, I would think that taste would be a more important criteria than speed. It doesn't take very long to peel, core, slice and cook a few apples, Doug and the difference would be quite measurable.