My Blizzard Experience...

AllenOK

Monday night, I went to bed, not looking forward to getting up at 3:15 am. I needed extra time to check the weather, scrape snow/ice/sleet, etc. Sometime between 10:30 and 11 pm Monday, the sleet started, along with a Flash/CRACK! of lightning and thunder.

The alarm goes off Tuesday morning, and I drag my tired body out of bed and to the window. I can't really see anything, due to condensation. PeppA mentioned that it was really coming down.

I get dressed, coffee drank, check the weather, put my coat on, and head out to prep the van. It WAS coming down! And, there was about six inches or so on the ground. The windshield was covered, but easily cleared.

I went back into the house, to see if anything new had popped up on the TV, and to let her know I was leaving for work, shut off the TV, lights, etc. That took all of a couple minutes. I went back out to the van, and the windshield already had a good dusting on it again!

In driving down the road, I guesstimate there was between 6 - 8" of the Fluffy White Crap on the road. My morning commute, which normally takes 25 minutes, took me 55!

I get to work, and realize today was going to be interesting. The Chef's car is in the parking lot, covered in snow, along with several others. The night Lead Cook's car was at the back door (against reg's), also covered.

I unlocked the kitchen, turned on equipment, and started cooking. I quickly realized that there should have been a grocery delivery waiting for the steward to put up, but the food wasn't there. Also, my co-worker that comes in at the same time as I do, hadn't made an appearance. After an hour, I should have see the dietary aides, but they hadn't appeared either.

Shortly thereafter, I get a call from one of the managers. She was upstairs, and on her way down. I told her that I was the only one there, and hadn't seen any of the dietary aides. She wasn't surprised.

Long story short, I was the only morning cook, out of five, the showed. The Chef, one of the Sous Chef's, and the Lead Cook were in an empty apartment, sleeping. We had a skeleton crew to cook.

We managed to get Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner out. I stayed all day. Just as dinner was starting, PeppA called me and said she wasn't going to even try to make it to pick me up, as there were HUGE snowdrifts across the road in front of our home. I told her "no problem, I can get a cot and sleep here", which is exactly what I did.

Let me tell you, those cots from Bass Pro aren't that comfortable!

I got up in time to get Breakfast going on Day 2. Again, we are running a skeleton crew. Supposedly, several of the other cooks were going to get shuttled in sometime around 9 am. We also had another problem. We were quite literally running out of food.

Our relief finally showed up around 3:45. I was able to leave at 5 pm, 36 hours after my arrival.

We got a total of 14" of the Fluffy White Crap. And, it's not going anywhere soon, as we aren't going to get above freezing for a couple days, and we have a shot of more of the FWC on Monday.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a full day, Allen, or, you've had it up to here. lol This has been quite a storm affecting a lot of the NCT forum members.

I don't suppose you want to know what the weather is like down here.......

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Allen, you are the kind of employee we all wish we had working with us!

Good karma to you, and I don't mean just the NCT kind!

Lee

AllenOK

Buzz, on one of the kayak boards I'm a member of, a local "derelict" who lives in Florida keeps ranting on blizzard. He's mentioned, a few times, what the weather in Florida is like.

I'm jealous!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
It's foggy here this morning, Allen, but I don't suppose that makes you feel any better. ;)