Dragon NaturallySpeaking turn talk into text

Guts

This is my first try with Dragon NaturallySpeaking turn talk into text. Have any of you tried this software before? I am using version 11 home addition, I always wanted to try this and when the price came under $50 I decided to give it a try. Like I said this is the very first time I've tried this... I really think I'm going to like this. But only time will tell.

Kim

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Is the text of your post from Dragon? I've been interested in it myself since DW isn't much of a typist, and it might make these books go faster.

Guts

yes this is the text that I'm speaking right now. I can't believe how easy it is, now I have to do is learn how to form a sentence LOL. I just wrote an e-mail to my buddy and I use Dragon to open the e-mail then create mail address the mail subject the mail, and wrote in the body of the letter. This is the third thing I've tried writing or speaking to text. All I wanted was the Dragon naturally speaking I didn't want the music software that came with it is I'm not in the downloading music, I'm a talk show type radio person. the home edition of version 11 came with a headset with an attached microphone. They headset and microphone are kind of cheap or as I like to say birdlike. Now I just need to go loaded onto my laptop. The software learns as you use it and updates itself all the time or scheduled times. What I'm trying to say, it keeps improving on itself the more you use it. I can see a be really easy to be long-winded using this device/software.

Kim

I have to correct what I said about the music software. My software do not come with the music software but what I see advertised for $79 does mine was $49 for version 11 home edition.

K

Kimchee

Oooooh! I tried it about 8 versions ago, and it just couldn't quite handle little things like IN vs ON and other similar words... at least not how I pronounce them.
Since then, I have taught self to touch type, so it isn't QUITE as needed, but would
still really speed up my work.
THanks for this thread, I think I might give it another whirl. We have V10 around here...... somewhere.....

Guts

thank you Lee

Unfortunately my father didn't live long enough to see this technology. He said he was going to wait until you could speak to the PC. This is a fourth time I've used this, so I a lot of learning to do. I was very hesitant to purchase this but at the price I had to give it a try. Please bear with me as I learn to use this. It's way too early to tell if this is any good, but so far I'm liking it. You have to speak like a newscaster and proofread the material.

I'm waiting to see if anyone here has tried the software before. If not, I think there will be someone in the group that tries it. The setup takes a little time but it took less on the second installation. I can see this being beneficial for a student, or professional, I plan to use it in writing invoices for my work also.

Kim

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I have been surprised at the fact few people know that Windows comes with speech recognition software. You have to "teach" it, but only after a couple of hours, it is pretty reliable, and dictates rather well.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have been surprised at the fact few people know that Windows comes with speech recognition software. You have to "teach" it, but only after a couple of hours, it is pretty reliable, and dictates rather well.

True. But it's a resource hog, can interfere with other programs, and is usually the first thing turned off on an install. Its learning curve is astronomical (both user and AI), and it's error rate is laughable. But you are right, there is some VR built into Windows, but it's more of an after thought than a real viability. I've goofed with it for fun, but would never take it seriously. It's more of an add-in to Windows like Minesweeper or Solitaire.