Can anyone help with an encoded/encrypted document?

Deelady

Ok I know this might to basic knowledge to some but I can't seem to figure it out... :(

On my lap top I dont have Word any longer, but I had some old documents save in word...recently I tried to transfer them into another program so I may be able to read them again and before I figured out howto do that, I accidentally transfered one or two to I think it was using my lap top's basic notebook program, not realizing it would encrypt the words.....now I cant figure out how to get it out of that writing. For the other documents I realized I can just email it to someone with Word and they were able to copy and paste the info for me.....except the ones I transfered as notebook.
Anyone know how I can get the documents out of this mess?? :oops:

TIA for any help!!!

Last edited:

homecook

I have no clue!! lol
You might want to put this in the "Computer/TVs/Electronic Devices" thread........you may get more hits!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I am assuming that Word won't open these documents anymore. Will the lapptop open the documents - the basic idea is to go back to where it happened and get that programme to sort it out.
If it does you can do save as and select a diffent output. I would suggest rich text. This should open in any word processing programme.
Alternatively your new word processing programme may have an import option, use that to bring the documents in - it may then be able to open them.

Deelady

I am assuming that Word won't open these documents anymore.

I no longer have word available I just had the temp program that came with the lap top and it has since expired and I have not had the money to buy the program.

Its is in a DOCX file....I have been trying to read up on it but Im afraid its getting me more confused.....:blush:

Deelady

Dee, do you no longer have a program that will open a word file? If so, get OpenOffice for free (huge). OpenOffice

What do you mean by HUGE Buzz...is it a large file to download?
And I am assuming this will work for MS Word as well? Sorry for the dumb questions :unsure:
I will look at the openoffice right now thanks.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Dee - Go to www.openoffice.org and download open office. You will now have programs that work pretty much like word, excel power point and more. Oh Yeah! They are free.

Open office writer will open an awful lot of diocuments. That is all I use. BTW - It will make documents that others can open in word, excel, etc.

If that does not give yyou seccess go to http://www.dataviz.com/products/conversionsplus/index.html and look for conversions plus. It costs to buy, but, I think there is a 30 day trial that should get you by.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Deelady

QUESTION: if the document had already been resaved in notepad should the openoffice still help decode it? Or will I be having to try to reopen it in what Im downloading now....I have a feeling I made no sense just now....:p

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Downloading now....wish me luck ;)

If you're going to send word files remember to "save as" a .doc file as most don't have OpenOffice - yet.

You'll love it. One thing I do is make .pdf files out of the writer (word) documents.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
QUESTION: if the document had already been resaved in notepad should the openoffice still help decode it? Or will I be having to try to reopen it in what Im downloading now....I have a feeling I made no sense just now....:p

Once you have OpenOffice installed, right click on the document and choose OpenOffice as the program to open the document.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Dee - It should open it. When you say that you "transferred" the files, Are they still available on the original computer in their original form?

Buzz (Et Al) - Speaking of PDF files, You can go to www.cutepdf.com and get a free PDF writer that you select just like any other printer. It pretty mugh gives you PDF capability out of any program at no cost.

Deelady

Well I downloaded openoffice and it worked GREAT for all my documents....except for the one main one I wanted! When I try to open it it keep giving me a "Filter Selection" list to choose from and with everyone I try it gives me an error of general input output error...
as far as I can tell it has all the same properties as the other documents, so I dont know why its not opening.

Deelady

Dee - It should open it. When you say that you "transferred" the files, Are they still available on the original computer in their original form?

Buzz (Et Al) - Speaking of PDF files, You can go to www.cutepdf.com and get a free PDF writer that you select just like any other printer. It pretty mugh gives you PDF capability out of any program at no cost.

No when I said I transferred it I meant from one program to another....saved it as a notepad doc.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmm - from Notepad help: "encryption"

What is Encrypting File System (EFS)?

Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that allows you to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure.

Some key features of EFS:

Encryption is simple; just select a check box in the file or folder's properties to turn it on.

You have control over who can read the files.

Files are encrypted when you close them, but are automatically ready to use when you open them.

If you change your mind about having a file encrypted, clear the check box in the file's properties.

Note
EFS is not fully supported on Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium. For those editions of Windows, if you have the encryption key or certificate, you can do the following:

Decrypt files by running Cipher.exe in the Command Prompt window (advanced users)

Modify an encrypted file

Copy an encrypted file as decrypted to a hard disk on your computer

Import EFS certificates and keys

Back up EFS certificates and keys by running Cipher.exe in the Command prompt window (advanced users)

See also
What is encryption?
Safeguard against losing your encryption keys

Deelady

sorry I should have mentioned that since I downloaded the open office I no longer see the document as encrypted now it just gives me the Filter selection list and thats it

Deelady

**sigh** well I finally found an option from the list that opened the document but the document is now blank (even though it says the document size is 31.0 KB......can I assume this document to be lost forever??? :(

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
If the document has size, there is data in it. Seeing it may be another matter.

Have you tried this

Click > Start > Run > IN the box that opens type Notepad and click OK.

Notepad will open.

Click File > Open

Browse to the file and open it. Notepad is one of the simplest editors in windows. You should see something. It may not be pretty. If you see text that you recognize, ypou can copy it and paste it into a blank word document and reformat it.

31K is not a very big document.

Have you tried conversions plus at the link that I sent you?

Deelady

I did the...Click > Start > Run > IN the box that opens type Notepad and click OK.

Notepad will open.

Click File > Open

Browse to the file and open it. Notepad is one of the simplest editors in windows. You should see something. It may not be pretty. If you see text that you recognize, ypou can copy it and paste it into a blank word document and reformat it.

and realized that when I changed my other documents over to the openoffice program so I can open them that way at all times it automatically did all of them the same...
so then I tried the same step with entering in swriter (because it names that in the properties of the document as what it opens with)
and again it brought me to the blank document with the file opening that says "Filter Selection"
on the list I dont see SWRITER but only Starwriter....I tried this hoping they might be the same but nope it gave me the error.

I almost wish I can get the crypted writing back so I had something to work with.....
I feel like this is probably an easy fix but I am obviously missing it.

I'll keep trying.....:shock:

Deelady

ok I just got the crypted writing back when I tried opening it in notepad again that indeed shows me the info is still in there like you said.....I'll get it....sooner or later ;)

Deelady

oh my......LOL I cut and pasted as you said into a new document (the openoffice I just down loaded)
and it gave me stil the crypted writeing...but it spaced it to 108 pages!!! wow! LOL
Now I just have to figure out the reformating part

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
oh dear, interesting day you've had . . .

two lessons here:
never work without a backup
don't 'force open' files using non-native applications.....

Word, as many other programs and word processing stuff, creates files with lots of binary data in them - all the formatting, etc.

opening a Word .doc file (.docx is their newest 'format' - std in Office 2007 applications) with Notepad - which is primarily an ascii / text file format - 'probably' read the file to the first Control-Z (which is the ascii 'end of file ' marker) and when you saved it using Notepad, 'probably' only 'wrote out' the contents up to the Control-Z.

it is not impossible (hence the 'probable' remarks - who know what MicroSoft has done lately....) that a lot of information past the Control-Z may have been lost - forever, given no backup. if you are familiar with the file contents, you can skip to the end and see if it is all (still) there - 'messed up' or not.

it is very unlikely that you will recover any of the prior "formatting"

all the "blank space" in your resulting file could be just that - blank spaces, or tabs.

as for reworking the file in OpenOffice, "search and Replace" is your best friend. you can Search for all " " (triple spaces) and replace them with " " (a single space) - Search&Replace All. Repeat as needed. same with tabs - search&replace all tabs with " "

if in OpenOffice you are still seeing control characters (i.e.: stuff other than zero thru 9 and A thru Z -cap & lower case - and spaces) then you're in for some tough sledding to slog thru the whole document deleting and editing.

how many pages was the original document, before things got unhappy...?

FryBoy

You don't need Word -- download the FREE Microsoft Word Viewer, which will allow you to open, read, and print any Word document -- it's from Microsoft, so it's safe:

http://tinyurl.com/2w3s6z

There are also free viewers from Microsoft for Powerpoint and Excel. Just Google for them.

Deelady

oh dear, interesting day you've had . . .

two lessons here:
never work without a backup
don't 'force open' files using non-native applications.....

Word, as many other programs and word processing stuff, creates files with lots of binary data in them - all the formatting, etc.

opening a Word .doc file (.docx is their newest 'format' - std in Office 2007 applications) with Notepad - which is primarily an ascii / text file format - 'probably' read the file to the first Control-Z (which is the ascii 'end of file ' marker) and when you saved it using Notepad, 'probably' only 'wrote out' the contents up to the Control-Z.

it is not impossible (hence the 'probable' remarks - who know what MicroSoft has done lately....) that a lot of information past the Control-Z may have been lost - forever, given no backup. if you are familiar with the file contents, you can skip to the end and see if it is all (still) there - 'messed up' or not.

it is very unlikely that you will recover any of the prior "formatting"

all the "blank space" in your resulting file could be just that - blank spaces, or tabs.

as for reworking the file in OpenOffice, "search and Replace" is your best friend. you can Search for all " " (triple spaces) and replace them with " " (a single space) - Search&Replace All. Repeat as needed. same with tabs - search&replace all tabs with " "

if in OpenOffice you are still seeing control characters (i.e.: stuff other than zero thru 9 and A thru Z -cap & lower case - and spaces) then you're in for some tough sledding to slog thru the whole document deleting and editing.

how many pages was the original document, before things got unhappy...?

I tried doing the as for reworking the file in OpenOffice, "search and Replace" is your best friend. you can Search for all " " (triple spaces) and replace them with " " (a single space) - Search&Replace All. Repeat as needed. same with tabs - search&replace all tabs with " "

and it tells me search key not found.....

I really cant remember how many pages the orig doc was, not many my guess would be 2 or 3, it was simply a compilation of saved recipes I had coppied and pasted....

High Cheese

Saucier
Is there personal stuff on it? Maybe you can just email it to someone and have them work on it. I can try if you like....at least it will give me something to do. lol

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can email them to me as I have the capability to decode a lot of these. You need to send the originals though as they sometimes get corrupted when opened with the wrong version if it is set to auto save. If you decide to send them drop me a PM and I'll give you my email address as well as get yours.